HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching and couldn't really find anything on this. I wonder what was HK's logic or reasoning for making the P-series the way they did. The customization of the USP line is amazing and second to Glock, and the HK45 and .45c are just as versatile as the USP just doesn't have the aftermarket support like the USP but that's due to the HK45 being a very young pistol. I know we can opt to get the P-series in LEM or DA/SA... P30's with safeties or no safeties but I just wonder why HK took away the versatility from the P-Series. Also why they continue to warn against hot loads in the P-Series but my new 2010 USPc says +p and +p+ ammo is approved... I know the hot ammo thing is a non issue (Thanks to Todd G) and +p rounds don't do any more damage to the P-Series pistols than the USP pistols, but I constantly think... "Why did HK make the P-Series pistols this way?... Warning against hot ammo?... Will not approve trigger variant conversions?... Won't make threaded barrels for them?... Why HK?"

I heard the P2000 and P30 were supposedly meant to be service pistols and not military pistols but if that's true then does that mean HK did compromise? I mean why not make all you're pistols with the same versatility and bomb proof reliablity and bad ass customization that a tactical operator comes to appreciate?

(Just a side note, I'm not saying the P-Series are rubbish or are compromised lower quality pistols... I'm just wondering what was the reason for making the P-Series like they did)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've kinda wondered many of the same things. I keep hoping HK will the pistol on my wish list. See sig line.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Good luck finding any kind of resonable answer...unless G3Kurz has any intel you are unlikely to get anything tangible...

I personally passed on a P2K-sk in .40 because I felt the pistol wasn't as good of a fit as the USPc...I honestly haven't heard anything bad said about them aside from the grip-size...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The uniformity with the P-Series is non existent. It almost seems like whatever falls off the HK assembly line goes on the shelf to sale. I hate to complain because HK does soooooo many things great but I think uniformity in the P-Series would be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It'll happen eventually. They just need to be more demand for them. While most of us see the value in Hk, most of America does not. $800-1200 is a lot of money for most people and even though a solid case ccan be made that it's worth it, it keeps the sales low comparatively to Glocks, Smiths & Rugers. I imagine if the economy takes an upswing soon Hk, would devote more time and funds to the "extras" for the line that most of us wish they had.

Strikers alone kill Hk's sales, then add in CS reputation, price and a bad economy, I imagine they're just wanting to let things be for now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I too am lamenting the lack of a threaded barrel. As much as I adore my beloved P30L for daily carry, I might well not have bought it had I known this would be an issue. It never dawned on me to even question the availability of a threaded barrel; I just assumed such a thing must be a given for a pistol of this pedigree. I would run out and grab a 2000sk but for this glaring oversight as well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Darebear,

Remember, HK != logic. They do what they want. I agree that the lack of modularity with the P-Series doesn't make much sense.....fortunately they're still good pistols.

Fantastic engineers, and fantastic leadership that provides the engineers with what they need to excel. However, horrible marketing that leads to a disconnect with the buying public. HK can be summed up like this:

1) Build highest quality service pistols in the world.
2) ???????????
3) Profit!

Personally, I'm content to have the scraps off the MIL/LEO table. As soon as they start catering to the public, things will go to ****. Reason? The public is dumb as ****.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It'll happen eventually. They just need to be more demand for them. While most of us see the value in Hk, most of America does not. $800-1200 is a lot of money for most people and even though a solid case ccan be made that it's worth it, it keeps the sales low comparatively to Glocks, Smiths & Rugers. I imagine if the economy takes an upswing soon Hk, would devote more time and funds to the "extras" for the line that most of us wish they had.

Strikers alone kill Hk's sales, then add in CS reputation, price and a bad economy, I imagine they're just wanting to let things be for now.
If HK ever made a striker fire... Game Over!

HK can be summed up like this:

1) Build highest quality service pistols in the world.
2) ???????????
3) Profit!
Hilarious. This actually made me laugh out loud. I totally agree about the marketing, it is non existent.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It never dawned on me to even question the availability of a threaded barrel; I just assumed such a thing must be a given for a pistol of this pedigree.
I think we all assumed that. I think we are in the right to assume that when every other major brand semi auto on the market has that option for their pistols.

·
Registered
205 Posts
USP, U for universal, P for proprietary.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hilarious. This actually made me laugh out loud. I totally agree about the marketing, it is non existent.
You know what's really funny? Picture of bunch of little german speaking elves in lederhosen yelling "profit!"

I'm sure that HK isn't actually a bunch of elves, but other European manufacturers are. Like Ferlach in Ferlach, Austria. That village has been building custom guns since before Beretta, it's gotta be a bunch of elves.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
This is why I love sticking to the USP line. It is the pinnacle of HK's entire handgun collection. Born from the Mark23.

If I had to rank HK's pistols my order would be

1. USP45
2. HK45
3. HK45c
4. P30

Remember HK makes pistols for military and LE applications and we get the spill over. This is the source of the "HK because you suck and we hate you" I honestly couldn't care less about how it is we acquire our HK's.

They work. They are built for work. The engineers design these weapons to have functionality and durability. There's really not anything on an HK that's an extra other than the amazing grip configurations of the P30.

The best thing about HK is their performance and reliability which is why I paid for the extra for them.

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Threads like this make me thank my lucky stars I don't worry about the "whys" regarding my weapons and their manufacturer's decisions. I just shoot mine which seems like a much more enjoyable pastime to me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
HK's site says "Originally designed for the American market, the USP (Universal Self-loading Pistol)", but Selbstlade means self loading in German according to my Googlefu..

·
Registered
881 Posts
The P30 has all of the option I am looking for when using it as a CCW solution.
But I find myself leaving the P30 in the safe more often than not.

I really like the way I can mix and match the side straps and back strap to fit my grip, but am unsure why HK never made threaded barrels.
The P30S 9mm is a gun my wife can shoot and has high capacity mags when 8 or 10 is not enough with the HK45 or HK45C.

I like that the P30S fits in the same holster as the Hk45C, but if someone was looking for something to shoot with a suppressor, they would have to look for another option or use an aftermarket threaded barrel.

Maybe the options for the P30 will change in the near future.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The USP was getting dated, at least, aesthetically. Nill provided guidance with the overhaul of the blocky grip, and the proprietary USP rail missed the mark- and that's being generous. As for the the missing modularity, it would be nice to hear about how they missed that, but kept or brought it back with the HK45 series.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I tried searching and couldn't really find anything on this. I wonder what was HK's logic or reasoning for making the P-series the way they did. The customization of the USP line is amazing and second to Glock, and the HK45 and .45c are just as versatile as the USP just doesn't have the aftermarket support like the USP but that's due to the HK45 being a very young pistol. I know we can opt to get the P-series in LEM or DA/SA... P30's with safeties or no safeties but I just wonder why HK took away the versatility from the P-Series.
The first P-series pistol was the P2000. It only had two trigger options for it (DA/SA, LEM) and no option for a safety lever. I assume they didn't think it was necessary for the pistol to have a "universal" frame, when only two trigger options are available.

The P30 is a P2000 with a different grip, and with the option of a safety lever. They probably didn't feel the need to redesign the frame to be universal.

Also why they continue to warn against hot loads in the P-Series but my new 2010 USPc says +p and +p+ ammo is approved...
Probably because they got smarter or lawyers got involved, or both. I don't think any manufacturer would be wise to say that +P+ ammunition is OK to shoot in their pistols. There is no maximum pressure limit for +P+ ammunition, so theoretically, every round of ammunition that blew up a pistol and caused a KB due to overpressure, could have been considered a +P+ round. With as similar as the internals are between the USPc and the P-series pistols, I doubt either is stronger than the other.

I heard the P2000 and P30 were supposedly meant to be service pistols and not military pistols but if that's true then does that mean HK did compromise?
This was brought up in another thread, but I assume the only reason the P-series exists, is to keep up with the competition from other German pistol manufacturers.

This is why I love sticking to the USP line. It is the pinnacle of HK's entire handgun collection. Born from the Mark23.
The USP came first.

... and the proprietary USP rail missed the mark- and that's being generous.
Well, not really. The USP was one of the first pistols to come with an accessory rail. All pistols that came out with a rail back then, had a proprietary rail. H&K had the USP rail, Walther had the P99 rail, FN had the Forty-Nine rail, etc. It wasn't until Glock put a "universal" rail on their pistols, did a real universal rail exist. Had the Glock not been as popular as it was, and if the aftermarket didn't adopt their rail as the "universal rail", the rail on it would probably have been considered proprietary today.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Threads like this make me thank my lucky stars I don't worry about the "whys" regarding my weapons and their manufacturer's decisions. I just shoot mine which seems like a much more enjoyable pastime to me. :wink:
Yes, a P30s on my hip i forgot about (watching college baseball) and a HK45 beside me. HK on the slide is all i need to know. HK i'm certain is doing well even in this economy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts