HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
USP-T .45, Mark 23, SP5, & P7 (BMI & NDS)
59 Posts
I had an H&K OTF by Hogue, every time I opened and closed it all the screws on the knife would come out slightly, as a result I lost a few. Eventually, the knife broke (the rails or something that the knife rode on) and I emailed Hogue who offered to fix it, but I never followed through and just tossed it in a drawer. The knife was of fine quality (I heard the quality of steel could have been better) but the boxes I was cutting were fine. I personally think it was outrageously overpriced and that was before it fell apart. So, hell no!

WORST PART: the knife used a trux type screw and I didn’t have one in my home tools or at work that would fit this thing. So I had to buy one specifically for the knife.

maybe one with less moving parts like a manually folding one would hold up better.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They are ok I think Benchmade had more to pick from I ordered one Hogue and it was just too big I sent it back right away. I think HK made a big mistake going with Hogue but it is what it is I still buy Benchmades every time and collect the HK's Bnechmades when I can.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,846 Posts
I have a few of the Hogue knives and think they are absolutely fantastic. I regularly carry the Hogue Karma Spear Point and there isn’t much it can’t accomplish!!! It is extremely robust. OTF knives seem to always have problems. I don’t have a Hogue OTF, but I have recently repaired a couple Benchmade OTFs that were FUBAR....

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Hogue like other manufacturers makes knives designed by a variety of knifemakers. One of my favorite folding knives was the Benchmade McHenry & Williams EZ open design with single hand spring loaded release on the handle. When their patent expired, knifemaker Doug Ritter came out with his version made by Hogue. I like it so much I've given away 4-5 as gifts. A really great design and HOgue's execution is just fine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
WORST PART: the knife used a trux type screw and I didn’t have one in my home tools or at work that would fit this thing. So I had to buy one specifically for the knife.
Torx screws beat the crap out of Phillips or straight across or Allen head screws and that goes double for tiny sizes. Tiny Allens seem to strip the drive feature if you look at them funny. I've really started disliking Allen drive fasteners that are 2mm or less.
Torx are used on just about EVERYTHING from my old 1985 Ford that I drove in college to my first cell phone, my mountain bikes, various knives, AR free float rails and most modern optics mounts. I've had the normal sized ones from T10 to T60 or better since the 1980s. Had to have them to change the disc brake pads in the Ford. I had to get the micro sized ones when I had a Motorola phone in the 2002 time frame that a verizon tech managed not to tighten when he was fixing the phone. Got the folding key version to pack on full day mountain bike rides. Any mechanics tool manufacturer sells the automotive sets and the micro sets can be had from Wheeler Engineering, General Products, house brands at almost any hardware store and even Harbor Freight sells a pretty good 5mm hex driver bit set that includes all the internally wrenching micro sizes including Torx for less than $10.

IF the worst thing you can say about a knife is that it is put together with Torx drive fasteners then that's not much of a complaint. Of course I'll admit if somebody starts using micro sized Torx drive externally wrenching fasteners I won't be happy about it.
A tiny drop of blue or purple locktite will usually stop the screws from backing out all the time but I'll admit to rarely getting around to using it on a knife I tend to carry all the time.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I've owned one, an ex04. They are seriously fantastic knives. Excellent quality, hand honed semi polished blade. I have been eyeing the x5. I dont know why they aren't more popular.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
I have the Exemplar and the Karma in tanto. Very robust knives. The Karma is more of a duty use knife, due to it's size and features (O2 bottle wrench, belt/cord cutter, glass breaker, etc.), so it may be a bit large for every day carry for some. Additionally, the flipper (or whatever it is called) opening assist on the Karma is not my favorite opening method, but I get it.

The Exemplar is more in line with an every day carry knife. The Exemplar has a more traditional thumb stud opening mechanism. This seems to be a more familiar set up for most.

I also have one of the Hogue OTF knives, but honestly it has seen very little use. It seems to be of good quality. I have the Benchmade HK OTF (red activation lever) and a Micro-tech OTF. Really none of my OTF knives have seen much use. However, they all seem to be of similar quality, with the winning nod going tot he Micro-Tech.

My everyday carry is my Emerson CQC7 (tanto), mostly due to the fact I've had it longer than all the above (much longer), and it was a gift from my wife. I'm a tanto blade fan, and have many folders with tanto points.

Anyway, I've gotten off track... I'm not super into which steel is the best for blades and all that, I just base my opinion on how long a blade holds an edge. I can say my Hogue knives (Exemplar and Karma) have held their edge as well as other knives I've used/owned. So, for what that is worth, that is my thoughts on the Hogue HK knives. To be clear, I never had a problem with the Benchmade HK knives either, and I have several of them as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone here know the Torx screw size on a OTF Hadron? I’m already seeing tiny movement by the torx screws the front shifts slightly with pressure after a weeks use. I’d like to spend a $1 and order the exact size I need just for this knife instead of $17 for another clip and a $1 Torx L Key? Google is not being my friend here and neither is the search function on the forums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts