HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a holster for my USP 45 (full size) and would like some opinions. I am pretty sure I want to go with kydex, because this pistol will get carried in the woods and may even go for a swim from time to time when I start fishing again.

I am leaning towards the comp-tac infidel with plastic belt clip, but I am not sure how such a large pistol will handle IWB. I currently carry a P228 IWB without issue, but the USP is a bit bigger. If anyone can shed some light on IWB for a pistol the size of the USP 45 I would appriciate it. Also, who else should I look at holster wise? I have looked at the comp-tac, blackhawk, galco, and uncle mikes and so far, the comp-tac looks like the best value. Please offer up any personal experiences that may help me decide!

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are going to carry it in the woods and such I'd suggest a good shoulder holster like the Miami Classic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure I want to stick to something on my hip, either IWB or OWB. What specific advantage would the should rig offer for carrying in the woods?

Does anyone out there carry a USP 45f IWB?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I don't carry a USPf ISW but I do carry an HK USPf 45Tach OSW in a fist high ride with an FBI cant. I also carry it in a custom shoulder fig.

www.fist-inc.com Check them out good delivery time and reasonable prices. They make a lot of great KYDEX models.

TJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
It distributes the weight better so it will cause you less lower back pain. It also gets the gun higher off the ground and it will be better protected and less likely to bang on things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Whiplash23, what did you end up with?

I'm looking as well and am favoring the Galco SOB for long wear comfort and CCW.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I carry on the belt but for work with a level 3 retention. Even though you are not in crowds or dealing with bad guys, some retention is still a good idea just so it doesn't get lost if you should "take a swim" after a nice fish on light line. For that I like the Blackhawk. It has a simple release but is very secure until you press the release tab. It locks the gun in which I like better than just tention and friction holding it. It's also not to expensive and being basicly plastic, it's easy to keep clean and lasts well even if it gets wet or muddy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up with a Comp-Tac paddle rig w/15deg fwd tilt. I decided that the USP 45f was probably too big to carry comfortably in a IWB rig. I asked them to make it fit tight into the body for CCW and am pleased with the fit. I still haven't carried it yet, but when it gets cooler, I suspect that it will disappear nicely under a jacket.

FWIW, their service was great and they were really fast. I had the holster w/in a week and got an email every step of the way regarding its manufacture and shipping.

While it doesn't have locking retention, it does have adjustable retention. I thought it was a bit loose with the factory setting so I turned the screw in 1/4 turn, which made it it touch to tight. I backed that off 1/8th of a turn and am very happy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My father has a Comp-Tac Minotaur for his glock 23 that he is very happy with. I would have bought the same thing for my USP expert, but it will only fit normal USP's. I ordered a Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" that will supposedly fit the expert. I will post a review when I receive it (lead time is around 4 months, although I'm hoping for around 2... my ccw should be issued by then.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
holster

I agree with the hip style holster instead of a IWB type for a weapon the size of an USP 45. I carry the uncle mikes kydex for lugging my 45 around in the woods,mine also sports the thumb break to keep it from flying out when the grizz hits a rock or stump...also. Uncle mikes customer service is fantastic.
I lost two screws on a paddle kydex for my walther and the send my a pack of 4 for free. I tite locked them this time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also you can check out bladetech. I have a their holster and have been pleased. Blackhawks' serpa holster is great for the compacts but does not work well with the fullsize.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts