HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an AE date code USP 45 Compact LEM. Anyway I remember a couple years ago a friend was carrying a USP 45 fullsize as his duty weapon. I remember him telling me that Blackhawk did not make a SERPA holster to fit the fullsize USP 45. So my question is will the Blackhawk SERPA for the USP compact fir my USP 45c?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Stay away from the Blackhawk SERPA is all I am going to say.

A lot of guys hate the Serpas. Unless you are planning on practicing weak handed draws with the pistol reversed, I don't really see the issue.

BTW OP you can look into Raven as well, but their lead time is pretty nuts unless you look at quick ship models.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes the serpa will fit a full size USP. 45 and USP 45c

If you can goto a sport outfitters that sells them and you can actually try it out. Most stores like that allow you to check your weapon at the door and have it tagged. Do that and then goto the Firearms and tell them what you're looking for. If they sell them instore then they should let you see if it fits. BRING A MAGAZINE so you can make sure the holster doesn't engage the mag release and drop a mag when holstering

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the serpa will fit a full size USP. 45 and USP 45c

If you can goto a sport outfitters that sells them and you can actually try it out. Most stores like that allow you to check your weapon at the door and have it tagged. Do that and then goto the Firearms and tell them what you're looking for. If they sell them instore then they should let you see if it fits. BRING A MAGAZINE so you can make sure the holster doesn't engage the mag release and drop a mag when holstering

-DBLAction454

Thank you for replying to my question. The only store in my area that sells anything for H&K is a dedicated gun shop. No need to check my weapon they just ask that I unload it before I test fit a holster.

I'm new to H&K but in no way new to firearms or pistols. I've used the serpa before for several different pistols and I like them for the purpose I use them for. I use them on the thigh rig for hunting, as I never hunt without a pistol on me. I like the blackhawk because of the ease with which I can change the holster on the thigh rig to accomodate which ever pistol I decide to carry at the time... I do not use them for concealed carry as my sticky holster has served me far better than any owb holster ever has...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the main issue with the Serpa is more a safety issue than the quality of their build. Do a search on Google for Serpa and negligent/accidental discharge and you will find many examples of the problems people have had. There have been a few big name trainers and training centers that have banned the Serpas for training courses.

The problem is the users has to disengage the retention device with their trigger finger and it ends up on or in proximity to the trigger.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
A lot of guys hate the Serpas. Unless you are planning on practicing weak handed draws with the pistol reversed, I don't really see the issue.
Close, but no cigar my friend. Lucky for you I just got done submitting my 8-page formal submission to prohibit SERPA and SERPA type holsters for my dept. For more ban updates, check my "SERPA blackball list" Stickey on Lightfighter.net

1) Accidental discharge by sympathetic trigger finger pressure
2) Weapon stuck in holster due to debris/dirt or broken mechanism (very common)
3) Easily broken during weapon retention/ground fighting drills

Here is the text from FLETC from earlier this year:
SPECIAL BULLETIN
National Training and Emergency Operations Branch
Officer Safety Bulletin

Good Afternoon,

In our efforts to continually stay abreast of issues relating to officer safety, the National Training and Emergency Operations Branch (NTEOB) routinely evaluates the law enforcement equipment issued to or carried by OI personnel.

Recently, one such piece of equipment, the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster, has come under scrutiny due to safety concerns involving the design of its retention safety device. There have been several recent documented cases, involving law enforcement and civilian personnel, where unintentional discharges have occurred while weapons were being drawn from this holster. Many of these unintentional discharges have resulted in gunshot injuries to the officers/agents involved.

The SERPA is one of the only holster system designed to use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. This method of releasing the safety device is contrary to our training methods and techniques, which emphasize attacking the holster from the "top down." In addition, this retention system is completely different from the standard thumb-break holsters currently issued by OI. While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot, we believe that the design of the SERPA holster facilitates this action by engaging the trigger finger well before the individual is prepared to shoot.

In light of these events and in accordance with OI policy, specifically Part 2, Section 2, Subsection IV B, NTEOB is suspending all use of the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster by OI agents acting in an official, on-duty capacity. NTEOB will thoroughly research and evaluate the safety and effectiveness of this holster system and report on its findings.

In the meantime, those agents who may be affected by this safety bulletin should be directed to utilize their standard agency-issued holster to secure their weapon on their person. As a reminder, new standard issue holsters were previously issued to all OI 1811s. This is the recommended holster system. Should agents wish to purchase a holster, they should be informed that all holsters have to be approved by National Firearms Coordinator/NTEOB, as per policy.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.

Here is a nice letter from the US Forrest service:
http://www.gunsite.com/main/wp-cont...ohibiting-Use-of-Blackhawk-SERPA-Holsters.pdf

Without looking at the memo to my Chief, here was my tally of professional instructors who BANNED the SERPA
Larry Vickers
Kyle Defoor
Ken Hackathorn
Todd Green
Jason Falla
John McPhee
John Murphy (FTF Training
Jeremy Wilson (Wilson Tactical Training)
Jeff Gonzales (Trident Concepts)

Pat Rogers hates them, but says he will not ban them due to the high number of .mil that are REQUIRED to use them as issued.

Gunsite previously discouraged them, but I am hearing rumors of a full out ban on SERPA as well...confirmation is pending

Need I say more?

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I have the ITAC holster made for the HK45 fullsize that I bought from HK's online webshop. That being said and after looking at those Blackhawk Serpa holsters, I noticed that they are very similar in design. I know that when I release my weapon from the ITAC holster I pull the gun out and the tip of my trigger finger is resting on the slide release axle. Do the Blackhawk holsters have your finger resting on the trigger as the gun is withdrawn?

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I have the ITAC holster made for the HK45 fullsize that I bought from HK's online webshop. That being said and after looking at those Blackhawk Serpa holsters, I noticed that they are very similar in design. I know that when I release my weapon from the ITAC holster I pull the gun out and the tip of my trigger finger is resting on the slide release axle. Do the Blackhawk holsters have your finger resting on the trigger as the gun is withdrawn?
They aren't supposed to. Per Blackhawk, one is supposed to use the pad of the index finger to defeat the locking mech, drag it as the gun is drawn and be on your index point once the gun is drawn. However, many folks end up using the tip of their index/trigger finger and when they come out of the holster, it's crooked. So now we have a crooked finger that has just applied pressure to something mechanical. It's a reasonably manageable system so long as one is cognizant of their manipulation and keeps their mind on what they are doing. However, this is exact opposite of what one trains/carries for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I fell in love with my USP .45 Compact... and just happened to have a local dealer who managed to track down a distributor with 3 HK45c's on hand.... So yesterday I picked up my BC date code HK45c... Put 100 rounds downrange with it today and all I can say is WTF did it take me so long to buy an HK pistol.... I've wanted one for awhile, and in the last two weeks I've bought a USP .45c and an HK45c.... I'm still gonna keep my M&P .40c, and my Sig MK25... but DAMN... My two HK's are the most accurate out-of-the-box pistols I've owned. They are also the smoothest firing, and lightest felt recoil .45's I've ever fired... I'm now an HK whore...

Where can I get a concealment holster AND a thigh rig for an HK45c with a Streamlight TLR3????

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Kaluban Cloak can do a holster for your HK45c with the TLR3 *but* I don't know if they do the thigh holsters. I'd contact them first and ask. Home

1 - 14 of 14 Posts