HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P30 with a Surefire X300 Ultra that I'd like a SHTF holster for. I'm not worried about concealment. Thinking of a thigh rig or something. I think Safariland makes one, but it's over $200. Any other good options out there? I went StealthGear for my P30SK (for concealment) and like those, but they don't offer holsters for the P30 with a light and won't make a one-off.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Also looking for a holster for this setup - been hoping for G-Code to offer their OSL series for this setup since I have others, but as-yet nothing.

A few pre-fab options I've seen - I've used the Black Rhino & ANR Design for other guns, good forms and no issues.

I saw a previous thread here where someone got a HolsterCo to fit

If you're gonna swap the light between multiple guns, the phlster floodlight is an option since it indexes off the light

·
Registered
597 Posts
We really need a better solution for holster posts, no one seems to know about The Saddlery, LOL.

Why do you want a thigh holster? Do you know the reason they are used?

None of the holsters in the second post are appropriate for a "SHTF" scenario, IMO, due to a lack of active retention. I would never want to use nothing but friction in a duty scenario, not even necessarily because of gun grabs, but simply due to snag concerns.

Safariland will be the gold ticket here, and there are plenty of options that are not 200 USD. The 6377 is quite cheap, and retails for 70 USD; swap out the concealment loop for the attachment of your choice, probably something like the mid-ride UBL, which drops the gun a bit lower, enough to clear side plates if needed, but still high enough to make the draw nice and fact, and doesn't impinge upon your thigh. Alternatively, there is the BLACKHAWK! Omnivore: Omnivore Multifit Holsters

OTG is typically who I recommend for folks with truly oddball combinations that need retention: MKiii Outside Waistband w/ Light | Off The Grid Concepts. That being said, the BladeTech WRS is going to be inferior to the Safariland ALS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also looking for a holster for this setup - been hoping for G-Code to offer their OSL series for this setup since I have others, but as-yet nothing.

A few pre-fab options I've seen - I've used the Black Rhino & ANR Design for other guns, good forms and no issues.

I saw a previous thread here where someone got a HolsterCo to fit

If you're gonna swap the light between multiple guns, the phlster floodlight is an option since it indexes off the light
You are a life saver, thank you!

·
Priest of the P7
5,220 Posts
Look at Red Hill Tactical. Hard to find a better holster.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We really need a better solution for holster posts, no one seems to know about The Saddlery, LOL.

Why do you want a thigh holster? Do you know the reason they are used?

None of the holsters in the second post are appropriate for a "SHTF" scenario, IMO, due to a lack of active retention. I would never want to use nothing but friction in a duty scenario, not even necessarily because of gun grabs, but simply due to snag concerns.

Safariland will be the gold ticket here, and there are plenty of options that are not 200 USD. The 6377 is quite cheap, and retails for 70 USD; swap out the concealment loop for the attachment of your choice, probably something like the mid-ride UBL, which drops the gun a bit lower, enough to clear side plates if needed, but still high enough to make the draw nice and fact, and doesn't impinge upon your thigh. Alternatively, there is the BLACKHAWK! Omnivore: https://blackhawk.com/omnivore-multifit-holsters/
Solid points. I'll compare all my options to the Safariland and think it over... Not to be dramatic, but when something like Israel happens, you can't help but think, "What if..." I think I thigh rig would be convenient for carrying a side arm, but I guess there's nothing wrong with OWB too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Solid points. I'll compare all my options to the Safariland and think it over... Not to be dramatic, but when something like Israel happens, you can't help but think, "What if..." I think I thigh rig would be convenient for carrying a side arm, but I guess there's nothing wrong with OWB too.
My point was that thigh rigs are niche options, and not very good ones, either. As I alluded to in my earlier post, just because you're doing tactical LARPing doesn't mean that a thigh rig is the best solution (and I ain't hating on LARPers, Lord knows I do it all the time). Thigh rigs tend to drop the draw too low, while also seriously impinging on your running ability, and can have some comfort issues; they also blow to draw from if you're sitting down, particularly in a vehicle. Lot of folks have been preaching things like the UBL or the TNC MHA for over a decade now, rather than a true thigh rig with a giant shroud. Unless you actually have a bunch of **** on your side that actually forces you to drop the holster that low (which in itself means you probably have your kit set up poorly), a mid ride holster is going to give you plenty of clearance to clear side plates or a slick cummerbund.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
If SHTF are you sold on an OWB high retention level duty holster like safari land?

In my mind, it’s good to have a concealed holster for SHTF. If the weapon is seen it makes you an instant combatant.
Personally, I have both concealed and duty for a SHTF gun. For IWB tier 1 is by far my favorite. Odin makes great holsters as well

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Just get a phlster floodlight owb and forget the “shtf” larping nonsense.

Nobody who knows better wants a thigh rig...and if they can’t avoid it, they mod it. All for reasons. Hence if “shtf”, anyone overtly rocking a clean, and improperly worn 6004/6005 will be deemed hostile and engaged with overwhelming force

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Safariland 6377 with QLS fork and mid ride adapter is what is use for my P30. I have one coming for my P30L+TLR1HL as well. I love them. The thumb release is so easy to hit and when it’s disengaged the gun pulls out easily. There’s also suede inside it to protect the finish a little more.

Also, Safariland is having a 25% off sale right with code SAF25OFF.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Safariland 6377 with QLS fork and mid ride adapter is what is use for my P30. I have one coming for my P30L+TLR1HL as well. I love them. The thumb release is so easy to hit and when it’s disengaged the gun pulls out easily. There’s also suede inside it to protect the finish a little more.

Also, Safariland is having a 25% off sale right with code SAF25OFF.
I was eyeing them for a couple things, thanks so much for the code! Where do you get the QLS fork and mid ride adapter from? I'm not holster savvy. I've had guns my whole life, but never bought a real holster for anything until this past year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If SHTF are you sold on an OWB high retention level duty holster like safari land?

In my mind, it’s good to have a concealed holster for SHTF. If the weapon is seen it makes you an instant combatant.
Personally, I have both concealed and duty for a SHTF gun. For IWB tier 1 is by far my favorite. Odin makes great holsters as well
I was stupid and didn't even think about this initially. Even during total chaos, there's still a benefit to some level on concealability. I'll look into a good Safariland OWB. Someone pointed out they have a sale going on too.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I was eyeing them for a couple things, thanks so much for the code! Where do you get the QLS fork and mid ride adapter from? I'm not holster savvy. I've had guns my whole life, but never bought a real holster for anything until this past year.

This is the fork that attaches to the holster.

This is mid ride adapter with the receiver plate already attached.

With this system you can easily swap out holsters if you want to use a different firearm without having to remove your belt if you have the fork on other holsters. A lot of holster companies now a days can also install the fork for you from the factory. Tier 1, Odin, and T5 Custom Kydex are some that do in case you don’t like the Safariland ALS system.

I will say, though, it’s not very concealable with this system if you’re going for that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

This is the fork that attaches to the holster.

This is mid ride adapter with the receiver plate already attached.

With this system you can easily swap out holsters if you want to use a different firearm without having to remove your belt if you have the fork on other holsters. A lot of holster companies now a days can also install the fork for you from the factory. Tier 1, Odin, and T5 Custom Kydex are some that do in case you don’t like the Safariland ALS system.

I will say, though, it’s not very concealable with this system if you’re going for that.
Perfect, thanks for the links! Looks like a solid setup and not super pricey. I'll probably use it for range days at the farm, hunting (never know if you could run into), etc.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I was stupid and didn't even think about this initially. Even during total chaos, there's still a benefit to some level on concealability. I'll look into a good Safariland OWB. Someone pointed out they have a sale going on too.
Don't get me wrong, I have a war belt set up for my full size USP, but id also have another smaller gun somewhere for more discretion and concealability.
My OWB holster is a Gcode-- very good quality, but not likely as good as safariland-- they are the gold standard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts