HKPRO Forums banner

what is the holy grail for a sear-ready RELIABLE 22lr mp5ish host?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the answer to this would have been fairly straightforward (mp5 or hk53 with 22 conversion kit) but after reading some posts by shattered it seems as though the mp5 and hk93 .22 conversion kits are rare for a reason- they are unreliable and have major magazine issues so hk stopped producing them! However the G3 conversion kit appears to be quite reliable, has much higher production numbers, has drum options (am180 adapters+165-270 round drums) and is cheaper. The drum aspect becomes especially important if you are running FA. The GSG and walther/umarex .22 mp5s are ruled out here as they are not sear-capable. The only other one that comes to mind is a run of .22 mp5s that jeff did that accepted the GSG mags. Let me know if i am missing any options here but based on all of that my thinking is the holy grail would be an hk51 with a chopped down G3 .22 conversion kit plus the AM180 mag adapter and a 270 round drum! What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQEGxRQu688

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there a current source for the A&D adapters? I don't see them for sale on the Bazooka Brothers website and they may be hard to chop down. Also, the big size Lexan drum is 275 rounds. Pure awesome sauce if it runs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I remember when I first came to this board DJ Getz was talking about a MP5 22 that would be sear ready he has retired I wish someone/builder would take up where he left off..............
I just wish somebody could convert GSG-5 magazines to fit and function in MP5 magazine wells.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I remember when I first came to this board DJ Getz was talking about a MP5 22 that would be sear ready he has retired I wish someone/builder would take up where he left off..............
Just to expound on that. In further posts, it was going to be a 53 clone based on the SW53 AR receiver that was a 53 with a 1/16 twist barrel with a .22lr kit. Being based on the SW53 AR receivers, the mags would be AR .22lr style mags and drums. Things changed with Todd, Dj's source for receivers, and his health, so the project never happened. It is really too bad. I would venture that AR based .22 is the most popular .22 here in the US. I would agree that the G3 kit is the most reliable .22 kit for roller locked platform, but a 51 with a .22 kit is very heavy for a .22 machinegun.

For another builder to follow up, they would need a source for the 53 AR receivers, or for that matter 53 receivers. I would think an AR Ciener kit could be converted to be used in the 53 receiver. IMHO, this is such a tiny market. How many sear owners would actually buy one? I'm sure a couple hundred could be sold. To me the trick would be to use standard parts as much as possible. Inventing mags and a .22 kit is expensive. R&D is not cheap. Would there be some semi auto sales? I would think so, but it will be much more than $500 an AR type .22 would cost. I'm guessing in the $1,500- $2,000 range. YMMV.

Scott

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,194 Posts
Just to expound on that. In further posts, it was going to be a 53 clone based on the SW53 AR receiver that was a 53 with a 1/16 twist barrel with a .22lr kit.
I remember this but I also remember him talking about a 22lr kit based on the MP5 platform. I went tried to find any Getz threads they all seem to be gone........sad lots of good info gone.

Is this DJ?
Gentlemen,
Don't forget our 22lr project is moving forward nicely. Should have this to market soon.
Thank you
Dj
From this thread http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/202089-what-new-roller-lock-models-would-you-like-see.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
I remember this but I also remember him talking about a 22lr kit based on the MP5 platform. I went tried to find any Getz threads they all seem to be gone........sad lots of good info gone.

Is this DJ?

From this thread http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/202089-what-new-roller-lock-models-would-you-like-see.html
That was DJ Getz. I was lucky enough to purchase a reverse stretch off him and had hopes of adding more of his stuff. Quality builds at reasonable prices with great support. Not exactly sure what happened to him. Remember him closing up shop saying he was no longer able to produce guns due to health issues. It wasn't too long there after his vendor section disappeared. Not sure if it was archived anywhere?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was DJ Getz. I was lucky enough to purchase a reverse stretch off him and had hopes of adding more of his stuff. Quality builds at reasonable prices with great support. Not exactly sure what happened to him. Remember him closing up shop saying he was no longer able to produce guns due to health issues. It wasn't too long there after his vendor section disappeared. Not sure if it was archived anywhere?
I wonder if he passed the torch to anyone? Im guessing he at least had some prototypes for the 22 kit. Was he building these from scratch? Did he ever post pictures of progress?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've done the HK51, chopped 22lr kit and AM180 drums. I didn't like it at all and sold off the chopped 22lr kit and drums. Bottom line is that the 51 is just to heavy of a platform to be "fun" in 22lr and those drums are simply a PITA to load and keep running.

IMO, a FA 22lr platform should be a MP5k size and use the GSG drums....period.

I gave up on the 22lr dream and now my 51 lives with a cut down training bolt in it. It burns through drum after drum of the DAG ammo and produces a lot of smiles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done the HK51, chopped 22lr kit and AM180 drums. I didn't like it at all and sold off the chopped 22lr kit and drums. Bottom line is that the 51 is just to heavy of a platform to be "fun" in 22lr and those drums are simply a PITA to load and keep running.

IMO, a FA 22lr platform should be a MP5k size and use the GSG drums....period.

I gave up on the 22lr dream and now my 51 lives with a cut down training bolt in it. It burns through drum after drum of the DAG ammo and produces a lot of smiles.
What about the 22lr G3 kit in a G3K with bipod?

Are you using the Xproducts 50 round drum for that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What about the 22lr G3 kit in a G3K with bipod?

Are you using the Xproducts 50 round drum for that?
This is what I am planning on doing for .22, but hopefully with the previously mentioned bazooka bros drums. If you search youtube you can see people running that setup.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yes, I have a G3k and I've run a 22 kit in it as well. It works perfectly, but my point still stands that it is ridiculously heavy to have 22lr fun with. I'll run 308 out of it all day and the weight makes perfect sense for that. IMO, a big part of the fun for a FA 22lr host is that it is light, compact and fun for all ages. The 91 series rifles were not built for that.

Yes, I run the X products 50 rounds drums for the DAG training ammo.

Chuchulain:
I strongly recommend you find someone who has the AM Bazooka bros drums and try them before you bother buying one. IMO, they take a long time to load and they are very finicky about being super clean and only running high quality 22lr ammo like CCI mini mags. CCI is $8-$9 per hundred so what is the point? 9mm can be had for about twice that these days and you can run it in an appropriately sized MP5 host. HK Parts wants $600 for a G3 22 lr kit and you'll have $300-$400 easy in Bazooka drums and adapters, if you can even find them. Let's call it $1000 total which is about the difference in price to shoot 11,000 rounds of 9mm instead of 22.....you better have a sear and some open weekends to make that break even. :) AND I will be stunned if you can load 11,000 rounds of 22lr into those AM180 drums without completely losing your mind. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I have a G3k and I've run a 22 kit in it as well. It works perfectly, but my point still stands that it is ridiculously heavy to have 22lr fun with. I'll run 308 out of it all day and the weight makes perfect sense for that. IMO, a big part of the fun for a FA 22lr host is that it is light, compact and fun for all ages. The 91 series rifles were not built for that.

Yes, I run the X products 50 rounds drums for the DAG training ammo.

Chuchulain:
I strongly recommend you find someone who has the AM Bazooka bros drums and try them before you bother buying one. IMO, they take a long time to load and they are very finicky about being super clean and only running high quality 22lr ammo like CCI mini mags. CCI is $8-$9 per hundred so what is the point? 9mm can be had for about twice that these days and you can run it in an appropriately sized MP5 host. HK Parts wants $600 for a G3 22 lr kit and you'll have $300-$400 easy in Bazooka drums and adapters, if you can even find them. Let's call it $1000 total which is about the difference in price to shoot 11,000 rounds of 9mm instead of 22.....you better have a sear and some open weekends to make that break even. :) AND I will be stunned if you can load 11,000 rounds of 22lr into those AM180 drums without completely losing your mind. :)
Just to put numbers on this, I weighed my ptr 51p and gsg 5p:
PTR 51p: 7.4 lbs
GSG 5p: 6.2 lbs

This is with no mag, optic or stock attached. The GSG has the mp5 handguard from my ptr 51p and the 51p has an hk53 handguard probably only a very small difference in weight. While the ptr is heavier, I don't think it's by an order of magnitude. The real question is how many rounds do you want to shoot at once- 275 or 110?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just for the record, my '33/'93 .22LR conversion runs fine with good quality, bulk .22LR (Remington Golden Bullets), it just won't run the burst mechanism because there isn't enough bolt carrier velocity to operate the counting wheel. Aside from that, it worked great on semi- and auto using a Fleming sear in a burst pack. The problem becomes cutting down a $3k conversion bolt carrier to fit in the '53, or modifying a '53 charging support tube to fit the elongated '33/'93 bolt carrier design. Several ways to do this, including a threaded extension that someone here had a machinist make for him for just that purpose. The magazines are limited to 20-rounders and exceedingly rare outside of the rare conversion kits.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Personally, I'd rather see an MP5 style gun (a la the GSG) that takes the readily available .22 mags. Basically, you want a GSG type blowback .22 gun that takes standard HK lowers and will run with a full auto sear. That should give maximum flexibility.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Just to put numbers on this, I weighed my ptr 51p and gsg 5p:
PTR 51p: 7.4 lbs
GSG 5p: 6.2 lbs

This is with no mag, optic or stock attached. The GSG has the mp5 handguard from my ptr 51p and the 51p has an hk53 handguard probably only a very small difference in weight. While the ptr is heavier, I don't think it's by an order of magnitude. The real question is how many rounds do you want to shoot at once- 275 or 110?
ugh....nevermind. carry on...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Obiefox:
I appreciate your input! I'm planning on/ working towards one of everything and think bench shooting with a .22 FA on a bipod with suppressor would be an enjoyable/ unique experience for friends, family and the kids. For what it's worth I am still waiting on the stamp for my sear to come in, so once I've blown a couple grand in ammo, my mindset may changes as far as weight vs cost of ammo vs ease of use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For those of you that have run the G3K setup with .22 and bazooka bros drums does adding a suppressor create enough backpressure to run bulk federal or Remington .22 or is it still best to stick to cci?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts