HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've gotten my P30 3 weeks ago I've been to the range 3 times and shot approx 500 rds. I have practiced drawing from concealment and from a holster I will use for duty when I can qual with it. I have dry fired it probably 1000+ times.

Well... Today I kind of wanted to vomit in my mouth when I compared it to my Glock 19(I am in no way bashing Glocks... This is just my opinion... They are still fine firearms). I know how a lot of people say stick with one type of firearm for Ccw and that became evident to me today. Bare with me and I'll try to explain this the best I can.

Today I was dry firing my P30 V2 and decided to give the 19 some love. I made sure it was clear and presented it from the holster and began to dry fire when there was a very fast and unexpected "click". I'm so used to taking up the slack on the P30 that my muscle memory kicked in and I would have fired the 19 if it were loaded without intending to. I know... Training, training, training and keep your finger off the trigger until you intend on firing but in a stress situation... Who knows.

It just became very evident to me with the short trigger travel how so many people(including 3 I know personally have had AD/ND's with theirs, including one guy losing a finger). Again, not bashing just my opinion.

With this story... I have concluded the HK LEM pistols are for me. I'll still use the 19 at the range but I don't see it in my future ccw rotation.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Sounds like the same thing I went through after having failures with my G17 Gen4. I completely switched, and now Glocks feel so strange in the hand, and while shooting to me. This is the reason that I only shoot one style of platform for serious uses. For me it's the P30LS V1 and HK45/c in light LEM. Funny how training can get you so accustomed to one type of firearm.

Glad to know it's working out for you.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You might as well get rid of the G19...

Use the money to fund another HK. Another P30 makes sense, but you might want to "branch out".

If you hold on to the Glock, it's not a big deal. They make great garage guns, (or any other place you need to stash a weapon for HD) They are great "tools", as you may have heard before, and many here would agree with.

The HK? Well, I think of it not just as a combat tool; it's more of an "instrument" of death. And a finely made one, at that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might as well get rid of the G19...

Use the money to fund another HK. Another P30 makes sense, but you might want to "branch out".

If you hold on to the Glock, it's not a big deal. They make great garage guns, (or any other place you need to stash a weapon for HD) They are great "tools", as you may have heard before, and many here would agree with.

The HK? Well, I think of it not just as a combat tool; it's more of an "instrument" of death. And a finely made one, at that.
I'm considering it actually. It honestly really... Really bothered me how easily it fired. I've been carrying Glocks for quite a few years now(8-9) and I never really realized it until today.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Congrats on your new P30 Bombtech945! *lock ruined *lock for me, one g22 and 2 range trips with the lousiest trigger on the planet was all it took to sell it as fast as I could. =)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I prefer HK LEM pistols also but if you never noticed that issue with the Glocks after 9 years, its a non issue. I would personally sell the Glocks (and I did) to get another HK.
Well I noticed it I just never realized it... If that makes any sense. It just wasn't as evident until I dry fired it after the P30.

·
Super Moderator
6,082 Posts
HK's have ruined other guns for me. But I still have to be good with other weapon systems. So I have them around. But I still like my Gen 3 G19, but when it comes down to what I can choose it is always an HK. I don't think I will ever sell my G19 but I don't think I will be buying a bunch of blocks. Maybe a G17, but on the other side of that, I have on my HK list a P30L, P30 both in 9mm, and an HK45c. Also if I see a Mk23 when I have a bunch of money I will grab that too.

But all and all, nothing feels right in my hands like an HK.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, as a matter of fact. I was spring cleaning and got around to organizing my gun wares. I took out the G19 which I've not carried or shot in many months and it felt strange to me, both because of the grip angle and the Gen 2 grip, which now felt super blocky to me but never had before. I had carried this pistol for years after buying it in '94 brand new, but it just didn't feel right anymore. And the trigger? Yeah, totally understand what you mean, especially since all my HK's are light LEM.

The Glock has enjoyed a good ride for many years, but I don't see carrying it again. I think it's time to relegate it to a house and range gun. The HK bug has bit me. Hard ...

... And I like it!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
One thing I've noticed about HK's-the smoothness of racking a round into the chamber is superb. Glocks can be a good choice of weapons but, I have a G30SF that's going to be on the market soon. I've tried to like it but it's a brief love affair that didn't last long. I don't like the little dog pecker trigger safety(hurts my finger) in 45 ACP and it's been "iffy" as for reliability. It's been sent to a Glock armorer and it still has problems with FTRTB issues so, I'm over it. There are too many pistols that will feed properly, especially just trying to rack a round in the chamber, to have to deal with a red headed step child Glock produced. Glock knows about the issues and ignores the many threads on the Internet about it.

I don't have any issued going from the 1911 to HK at the range. I can fire one 50 times and switch to the other witout much ado. I'm giving serious consideration to carrying the USP-C 45 as I like the safety selection and de-cock as that's more to my liking than Glock for sure which to me, has no safety. IMHO, they're the most unsafe pistols extant. I know, keep your finger off the trigger and it won't fire. Too many instances about AD Glocks to lump everybody into idiot status because of that phrase. For me, the USP-C in de-cock mode is the safest way to carry although "cocked and locked" like the 1911 is another. I would feel entirely safe carrying in either mode and not have to have in the back of my mind some part of clothing or a less that perfect holster may some day cause a discharge in WalMart or grocery store. We are the sole responsible party for where that bullet goes...purposely or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I posted the thoughts below on BlockTalk a couple weeks ago regarding the merits of the P30 vs. a Glock but I thought it was relevant to this discussion so I'll re-post it here to share it with my fellow HK fans. One reason I get irritated on BlockTalk is just the amount of useless banter that goes on there when it comes to brand loyalty. The comments I make below are in relation to that thread and not this one. I just did some compare and contrast between Glock and HK and thought I'd share it here so I don't have to re-type the whole things. I hope it contributes to the discussion. :2300000:
_________________________________________________________________________________

I currently own three HK P30S pistols and I love them. Between the three of them I have exactly 22,441 rounds downrange with a fairly even split between the three. I typically only clean them about once every 2 or 3 thousand rounds just to see how they'll hold up and I've had no issues. They are accurate, reliable, carry well, and I find them to be about perfect size for every 9mm pistol need that I have. In fact when I lay it next to my Glock G19 (Gen3) they are about the same size.

As you can tell I tend to buy multiples of my handguns to have back-ups, range use, concealed carry, home-defense, etc... While not cheap I've been very happy with every HK I've ever purchased. I also have a number of Glocks and like them too for what they are. A simple, reliable, accurate, inexpensive combat/shooting tool. Hard to beat in that regard. That being said when comparing any of my Glocks to any of my HK's there is a noticeable higher degree of refinement, design, fit and finnish, and in my humble opinion beauty to the HK's than the Glocks. Not saying Glock is bad, I just prefer to carry and shoot my HK's these days.

The LEM trigger is a great invention by the folks at HK but I'm a fan of DA/SA so I've learned to use it and be accurate with it both in DA and SA mode. I like the manual safety as an extra layer of insurance when I carry AIWB or on my body. Just check YOUTUBE if you want to see videos of well intentioned people accidentally shooting themselves with their Glock because they didn't clear their holster before reholstering or their finger accidentally got on the trigger during draw or return of the weapon to holster. Not that that is an issue that is Glock's fault, it's purely a training and discipline issue, but when in a hurry even the most well-trained and well-intentioned shooter can make a mistake. Anyone who has shot at speed or under stress knows this to be true. To me the DA/SA with manual safety just gives you an extra layer of protection that I personally like to have and am very comfortable with (but certainly isn't for everyone and requires training to properly master).

In regards to HK's customer service I've only had to use it three times over the past 10 years and each time it's been outstanding. In fact about a month ago I sent my HK45c in to have night sights installed by the factory, sent the gun on a Monday and had it back by Friday of the same week. That's pretty damn fast in my book and the people that helped me on the phone were very nice and helpful. HK's customer service may have been bad in the past (that's what everyone seems to say) but I would say that is no longer the case in my experience.

I also happen to be one of the people that had major extraction trouble with my Gen4 G19 that I bought about a year ago. The Glock customer service people, while nice, didn't seem well informed, and seemed very reluctant to admit that there was any problem with their Gen4 pistols (despite all the talk on this forum and others about the issues). I would not go so far as to say that they were intentionally deceptive with me on the phone but they were pretty close and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said they did do a one-for-one exchange of my G19 Gen4 for any other Glock pistol that I wanted to address the issues (I picked a Gen3 G21SF which has been flawless through almost 4,000 rounds) and this swap took less that three weeks so I'd say that was pretty good service as well. I just didn't like how they seemed "sneaky" and "evasive" to me when I was dealing with them.

I will admit it makes me sad to read threads like this one however where people can't just share information and respect that most brands of gun have many positive (and sometimes negative) features that appeal to a wide range of people. I often feel that I'm "dumber" after reading some of the garbage I find on most gun forums, posted by mall ninja, kool-aide drinking, fan boys of one gun or another. Most people that post this type of rubbish have no idea what they are talking about and are posting their "knowledge" based on what they read somewhere else online or from a very limited experience themselves. Most of the major gun makers today have their ***** wired pretty tight and make a quality product that will serve the majority of users very well. Anyone that makes blanket statements about this gun or that gun being junk typically have no clue what they are talking about and should be ignored.

That's why I respect the opinions of people that actually shoot guns for a living (or at least a serious hobby) like Tood G over at PistolTraining.com. He does his reliability tests with various pistols and puts insane amounts of ammo through a gun (in the case of the P30 it was something like 90,000+ rounds :wow:). Sure he used to work for several of the big gun companies but I don't sense that he's shilling for any particular brand and really does a nice job of presenting the good and bad of whatever platform he is using. I wish all gun forums could be so useful. Seems all most people want to do on these sites is just compare how much they've learned about guns playing Call of Duty or get in Cock Fights with people over the internet. Good times. Maybe I'll start my own gun forum that has some membership requirement, like you need to prove you're not a disrespectful moron, before you can join in the discussion.

I'm now climbing down off my soap-box and returning to the OP's topic. Sorry for the rant :whistling:.

Overall I would say that the P30 is an outstanding weapon and perhaps one of the finest 9mm pistols on the market today. LEM will give you a great trigger pull and is something you should try before you purchase one. I believe that HK actually makes a P30 variant now that his their light LEM and a manual safety. Now that's a nice combo that offers you the best of both worlds perhaps. Whatever you pick just shoot the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
It was actually taken pretty well. It was posted in the "General Firearms" area so there seem to be more balanced people floating around that area than some of the other spots on there. I don't think I was being too inflammatory in my posting. I was just stating the facts from one person's personal experience.

What drives me crazy is people on gun forums that never have handled a particular type of firearm and want to add to the discussion based on what they've heard off someone else's experience. That and the level of petty chest puffing that happens when people try to defend their brand. All brands have good and bad.

I just happen to agree with what some others have said in this thread that I think you are much better off to limit the pistols you intend to use for "serious" purposes to one brand and one trigger type and then practice the hell out of using it under all kinds of conditions. Constantly changing brands, triggers, and manual of arms is certainly possible but takes a LOT of time and effort to do well and most people that own guns just don't have the time, money, or will to devote to it. In that case I say buy multiples of the same gun and use it for everything.

I certainly have other guns I collect for various reasons (I happen to really like the way Beretta 92's look and have a number of them in my safe) but when the proverbial S hits the Fan I go to my HK's that I practice with all the time. The beauty of the P30S and the HK45c is that they are nearly identical in their manual of arms, can use the same holsters, and give me my two favorite calibers in two very similar guns. What's not to like about that?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There are only 3 Gocks that are worth a damn for me, 26, 20 & 29. Those are the only Glocks I'll ever own again. I've already owned a bunch of Glocks but those are the only 3 that could ever serve a purpose for me.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What are these "Glocks" you speak of...? :confused: :biggrin:

Decent write up A-Train, very decent. :wink:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.