HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that when i chamber the Hornady JHP/XTP its dosent seat well in the barrel. I try to chamber check and i cant move the slide to chamber check. I have to force it open like im racking the slide which ejects the round. I tried standard ball ammo and it seats well in the barrel. I can chamber check no problem. Is hornady 230gr too big? Also my how far does chamber indicator protrude when you have a round in the chamber? Mine seems to barely come out.. Anybody have some info on this??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Walther P5 that won't chamber 147 grain ammo. The ogive of the bullet hits the rifling in the barrel before the slide goes all the way into battery.

Changed ammo to 115 grain JHP and it works fine...

Change your ammo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Walther P5 that won't chamber 147 grain ammo. The ogive of the bullet hits the rifling in the barrel before the slide goes all the way into battery.

Changed ammo to 115 grain JHP and it works fine...

Change your ammo.
I humbly suggest that you find other 147gr JHP that will suit your P5 Walther. The bullet weight for the caliber is optimal as this will offer adequate penetration and modest expansion. You may 147gr Speer Gold Dot, 147gr Golden Saber, or the Winchester Ranger Talon (RA9T). Bullet weight is not the problem, but the 'cartridge overall length", and since I use handloads, my USP9f is very reliable when using both 147gr XTP and 147gr Win JHP both with COL=1.120-in both loaded with 4.0gr Vihtavuori N340 powders.

USP2Tone:

You may try other cartridge brands of the same weight like Winchester RA45T, Federal Tactical LE45T1, or the Speer Gold Dot until you find the right fit. 230gr JHP is the optimal bullet weight for this caliber.

·
Registered
506 Posts
2c from a someone who has only been shooting hand guns for a year.
hmmm I have only run 20 rounds of that particular cartrige, but never had the least bit of problem. On the other hand I never check to see if a round is in the way you mentioned. I don't have any reason to think this really, but I imagine that the mechinisim is designed to work at the speed and force of the springs and such, so I've always assumed that easing a slide back and then forward again was a bad thing, and asking for problems and unreliable issues.
I load by having the slide locked back, firmly load a magazine, and then drop the slide with the slide lock, letting the slide fall hard, from the force of the springs. I trust my life to bring up the next round every time, I can trust it to bring up a round first time. I have never gone to unload at the end of a shift to find the chamber empty. Nor have I ever loaded this way and not been able to fire at the range.
So, I guess that's a long way of saying, I wouldn't check for rounds that way

If there is a problem racking and/or ejecting a round, I would definately have HK or a gunsmith look at it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" On the other hand I never check to see if a round is in the way you mentioned".

Trained at Frontsight and this chamber check has become a habit...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote from Chris Sanchez : "I use handloads, my USP9f is very reliable when using both 147gr XTP and 147gr Win JHP both with COL=1.120-in both loaded with 4.0gr Vihtavuori N340 powders."

Don't know about the laws in the P.I. but here in the states using handloaded ammo in a defensive gun is a big NO,NO and will put you in a "Trick Bag" if you are taken to court. For practice no problem, for defensive carry you're better off with factory loads, there are plenty out there to choose from! Take care & be safe!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote from Chris Sanchez : "I use handloads, my USP9f is very reliable when using both 147gr XTP and 147gr Win JHP both with COL=1.120-in both loaded with 4.0gr Vihtavuori N340 powders."

Don't know about the laws in the P.I. but here in the states using handloaded ammo in a defensive gun is a big NO,NO and will put you in a "Trick Bag" if you are taken to court. For practice no problem, for defensive carry you're better off with factory loads, there are plenty out there to choose from! Take care & be safe!
With due respect to the person who started this thread, my reply to the statement above is that court proceedings here are based on evidence, motives, and witnesses. Number of witnesses on how the incident took place usually wins a case.

I understand that the court decision in the U.S. is based on the jury system (in most cases not ballistics experts, therefore, may be swayed by the hype of the "deadly" bullets). Here, court decision is decided by the judge based on his/her wisdom based on the law. There are no prohibition on which type of bullets that we have to use for personal defense. If the law concerning defense loads in your country will be applied in P.I., wow, all defense-minded, law-abiding citizens here will wait 9 months or more to be accustomed on our favorite ammo. 147gr XTP's and 147gr Win JHP are not the first choice for defense, but this two bullets are the only ones widely available. At this time, I use them primarily for practice together with 124gr LRN 5.0gr N340 COL=1.100-in. I really hope that 147gr Gold Dot and 147gr Golden Saber bullets are also available here.

By the way, my defense load at present is the 124gr Gold Dot loaded with 5.7gr N340 COL=1.120-in. The store which I got this component has already stop importing this bullet. I will have them until the shelf-life expires as I tested this load extensively and pleased by its performance on various simulated barriers.

Lastly, whatever the brand of cartridges, in the Philippines, 9mm or anything less than .45acp are usually sneered at by soldiers, police officers, and private citizens, so whatever optimization I do to the bullets available here, to their minds, I am just playing around with a mouse pistol. Hope my explanation helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hand Loads

One again, "Handloaded" ammo is not illegal to shoot nor carry." But if you so choose to use it as a "Defensive" carry load, then prepare yourself to be in court, have an expensive defense attorney & spend most if not all of your savings. For what? Just because you have tested you hand load extensively, doesn't mean the prosecutor won't rip you a "New One" in court "Extensively!" Believe me I've seen cases of self defense involving hand loads it's not worth your freedom nor your money. Hope "This" helps you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
One again, "Handloaded" ammo is not illegal to shoot nor carry." But if you so choose to use it as a "Defensive" carry load, then prepare yourself to be in court, have an expensive defense attorney & spend most if not all of your savings. For what? Just because you have tested you hand load extensively, doesn't mean the prosecutor won't rip you a "New One" in court "Extensively!" Believe me I've seen cases of self defense involving hand loads it's not worth your freedom nor your money. Hope "This" helps you!
Sir, I appreciate and thankful for your concern, but as I explained in second paragraph of my preceding post, the courts here based those types of cases differently. As I mentioned, the courts here are not particular what brand and origin the bullets are used for self-defense (factory loads or hand-loads), they based the final decision on evidences, motives, and the number of witnesses.

I know some knowledgable people in your country who also use handloads for defense because they are not happy with the inconsistencies of the factory loads and based their arguments within the same lines as I have. Within your conveniece, can you site cases (i.e. "John Doe vs. The People") that handloads are used against the respondents in court for my reference. Again, thanks for you concern.

P.S.: Sir, I am not a lawyer by any means, but I briefly took it up as a post-graduate course, but the field of being a lawyer is not for me. LOL
Btw, if you can have access, see Article 11 of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry, I have too many laws here in Florida to remember, not including those statues that are constantly revised and or deleted. Love the P.I. former Marine! Take care & be safe!

·
Registered
870 Posts
What kind of ammo you use When and if you shoot someone in a defensive situation will not dictate if you will be charged with anything. If you were with in your rights to defend your self and use deadly force, the type of ammo is not a factor. The same thing goes for shooting someone with a USP 45 VS. a USP tactical .45 with a threded barrel and the word Tactical on it! If you were with in your rights to defend your self is the Issue!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Back to the original concern over Hornady 230 GR HP... I used some in the 185 format bought on a discount deal that came with my Springfield 1911 Loaded. They ran 100%, and I shot about 100 rounds.

Have you fired them at all? I would run some through, experts recommend in the area of 200 over time before you settle on a carry load, seems high, but it's a life choice. You could also have a bad lot, if you have significant trouble, call up Hornady and see if they'll replace them for you. There are other great loads if your USP has a Hornady problem. I'd go Federal Hydrashok, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger SXT, Speer Gold Dot, or with Remington's Golden Saber in a heartbeat. A PD near where I live has mated their USP 45s with the Golden Saber load in 230 grain, and in their rough jurisdiction riddled by violent gang members, it has done what needs doing when put up to the task.

A side note to the GS round is that it was created by the same designer as the Black Talon/SXT sold by Winchester, when he left he crossed the street and went to work for Remington where he made the Golden Saber. It has a very hard pre-scored jacket, also designed to aid in wounding like the talon, and some of the best barrier penetration out there, probably matched only by the Gold Dot from CCI Speer. It can be had in LE bonded form where the jacket is welded to the core, or the more common older version that is unbonded, either is just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts