HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a local gunsmith do sight swap on my brand new P30L and it looks as if some of the finish on the slide has been buffed away. I’ve tried “Super Blue” and “Aliminum Black” from Birchwood but they had no affect. Has anyone heard of steel wool transferring? If so, what’s the fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
HK slides, like Glock and CZ, are Melonited. The “Hostile Environment” finish is not the coating you see. It’s in - not on - the surface of the steel.

Look up “Ferritic Nitrocarburization” and rest easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yeah...any abrasion (esp holster wear) is going to make the finish wear...if it bugs you take it out to a training class or a match or two, and you’ll feel much better...not being a smarty pants. The corners and other surfaces like this experience this kind of wear easily. The good news is that the protection is still there as @Chui stated.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
@Apollo11 is on it. Learn to love it. It’ll grow on you as you use it...mine’s just getting broken in and it’s 20 years old. What’s that they say...character. It’s a tool not a decoration. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Try some CLP and a brass brush to take off the residual steel, then use a nylon brush and some CLP can take the residual brass off.

However, if some of the finish was in fact buffed off, I don't think it would bother me as much as his deforming the sight with what was too small of a steel punch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try some CLP and a brass brush to take off the residual steel, then use a nylon brush and some CLP can take the residual brass off.

However, if some of the finish was in fact buffed off, I don't think it would bother me as much as his deforming the sight with what was too small of a steel punch.
Yeah that got to me too. He did a sight swap on my USP with no issues. I should’ve sent to HK to do it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@HK12Step, thanks. Here’s a couple of pics of my P30L.
id be really careful with the brass brush and the clp...lots of potential for metal transfer there (the brass will be left behind on the finish).

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's a huge difference between honest holster wear and PAYING someone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing to wreck the finish of your gun and sights.

This is why I work on my guns and cars 100%. No one gives half a **** about your stuff like you do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a huge difference between honest holster wear and PAYING someone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing to wreck the finish of your gun and sights.

This is why I work on my guns and cars 100%. No one gives half a **** about your stuff like you do.
EXACTLY. I want to be the cause of the wear, not a “professional” gunsmith’s lack of skill.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I'm willing to bet he used a brass punch on the sights. Then used something like steel wool or some other brush to remove the brass marks, thereby taking of some of the finish. It's all good. Mine USP looks way worse from 10 years of holster wear. If it hasn't rusted in the Florida summer, it aint going to...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm willing to bet he used a brass punch on the sights. Then used something like steel wool or some other brush to remove the brass marks, thereby taking of some of the finish. It's all good. Mine USP looks way worse from 10 years of holster wear. If it hasn't rusted in the Florida summer, it aint going to...
That’s exactly what happened. I thought if the finish was buffed off, I could fix it with some blueing solution but no such luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That’s exactly what happened. I thought if the finish was buffed off, I could fix it with some blueing solution but no such luck.
If he was honest he would offer to send the slide back to HK to get refinished as well as ask you if you would like him to buy you replacement sights and pay to have HK replace them correctly.

However most people now days aren't any more honest than the guy on the side of the road so this is very unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he was honest he would offer to send the slide back to HK to get refinished as well as ask you if you would like him to buy you replacement sights and pay to have HK replace them correctly.

However most people now days aren't any more honest than the guy on the side of the road so this is very unlikely to happen.
That would be nice but unfortunately HK doesn’t offer refinishing services. Nobody that I’ve found does.

·
Registered
261 Posts
He deformed the sight and damaged the factory finish on a brand new gun! I feel for ya OP. I think he owes some sort of restitution for such shoddy worksmanship. He is no "gunsmith" IMO.

This is one of the reasons why I work on my own guns and/or invest in the tools to do it myself. I picked up a cheap aluminum sight pusher off eBay and I think the cost paid for itself after 1 or 2 sight swaps. I did a few all without any damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He deformed the sight and damaged the factory finish on a brand new gun! I feel for ya OP. I think he owes some sort of restitution for such shoddy worksmanship. He is no "gunsmith" IMO.

This is one of the reasons why I work on my own guns and/or invest in the tools to do it myself. I picked up a cheap aluminum sight pusher off eBay and I think the cost paid for itself after 1 or 2 sight swaps. I did a few all without any damage.
I thought about doing the same and now I regret not doing that.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Gunsmith scratched and tried to buff it out?
Thats why I have a real gunsmith or person that knows what they are doing with a sight pusher install my HK sights

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Considering how dinged up that front sight is, I would never let that “gunsmith” touch anything I own. Better check the slide over very carefully, it’s easy to crack a P30 slide in the hands of a hamfisted “gunsmith”, when mounting a rear sight.

Check on the left side 1/8” under the sight, that’s where they can crack if it’s done wrong.

Quality sight pushers like the MGW Sight Pro pay for themselves very quickly.

As for the finish wear, the HK black is not very durable at all, but the protective qualities are still there. I’ve had HK pistols show far more wear from literally a couple of days of high round count and high draw count classes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts