HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I had a non-match M1A (i.e. heavy barrel but not glassed), an AR10 and my HK91.

The AR10 and M1A had 3 to 10 power scopes, while the HK91 had the standard mill surplus four power scope. The accuracy was similar for all three, with a few good and and bad groups, but typically shooting an inch something to a little over two inches.

Once I got a PSG1 trigger for the HK91 and started using Federal AE (red box ball) recommended here, the average of the HK91 drop and started doing a little bit better on average as the other two guns (the AR10 is gone and the M1A has been replaced by a rack grade for shooting with iron sights).

The AR10 would at times want to out shoot the rest with Federal Gold Metal match (which the HK91 never really liked), however, the AR10 never would be consistent like a good bolt gun (which as shoots well under an inch day in and out) and had a few issues with reliability and customer support (or lack there of ... but that is another thread).

As have a couple FALs, including the DSA medium heavy barrel - which shoots very well with iron sights, but have never bothered to scope it (for scope shooting I like the PSS or the Barret M82A1 if need a little more energy than 308 ;-).

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my discussions on this topic with many people, most of them say that between the FAL, M1A, and Hk91 the HK91 tends to be slightly more accurate out of the box. Not by much, but still slightly more.

·
Registered
266 Posts
all about the same.. just shooting eggs at 100 yards

M1A NM
FAL standard with new BBL
Hk91 IB date code
ALL seem to keep hitting the same

all with a 3x12 x 56

·
Registered
257 Posts
My FN - with similar optics as mounted on the 91 - seems to be just a bit more accurate in terms of group size at any range from 75 - 250 yards / meters. This may just be an exception as they are very close anyway. You can't beat either for ruggedness, but the HK wins hands down for accessories ... $.02

·
Registered
108 Posts
I shoot everything with iron sights, but I'm going to add optics soon.

With Port surplus, my most accurate and precise gun is my Beretta M1. The best 6 of 8 shots averaging 1.66 MOA with 9 groups fired.

For a battle rifle, cold bore shots for accuracy have their place, but what I look for is how does it shoot with a hot barrel? That's its intended purpose. Can it hold a decent (3 MOA) group with a full mag fired??

In that category, my SAR-48 bush rifles and ARS built StG-58 have the edge over the HK-91..but not by much. Most of the shots group within a 3x3 inch square. That certainly will get the job done to 600 yards. With optics, maybe we do much better.

Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
For a battle rifle, cold bore shots for accuracy have their place, but what I look for is how does it shoot with a hot barrel? That's its intended purpose. Can it hold a decent (3 MOA) group with a full mag fired??

Cold bore Vs. Hot bore is a much overstressed debate. I don't know many people that do a 20 round mag dump, then switch into long distance mode for that perfect sub1 MOA shot.

Unless you're doing large amounts of FA and really, really heating that barrel up, you're going to see little difference in accuracy in "Cold Vs. Hot" barrel. Even then, it's going to be minimal at best.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe you misread my post (part of that is due to it could have been better written).

I did not suggest that a benchmark of the rifle was firing a full mag and then shooting for groups. My point was indeed that many battle rifles (Fal, '91, AK, M1A, etc) shoot good groups with a cold barrel, but many can't keep 20 consecutive shots in that same tight group. Those that can, are great rifles, IMO. Many can't, and thus their longer range hit potential goes down drastically. I agree, an inherently inaccurate gun is an inaccurate gun, but barrel heating does make a difference, in my (extensive) experience. Whether POI is impacted, or just general decrease in precision occurs, a well made rifle/barrel minimizes these tendencies, but a poorly made one will show itself rather quickly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wasnt the hype that hk91/93 where more accurate and more reliable than other military type rifles? and also that they would last longer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts