HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title of this post sounds stupid, but consider me stupid when it comes to AR's. The MR556A1 is my very first!

I am a long time owner of HK USP pistols so I know the drill and can disassemble and reassemble them blindfolded (fibbing a little of course), but consider me very apprehensive about what to do with the MR556A1. I watched a few cleaning and disassembly videos and they are very intimidating to a newly acquainted AR soul like me.

What do I need to do to prepare to use my MR556A1 for the very first time? I put on the Troy iron sights, which I'll get help with zeroing in on the range and even bought an Eotech 512 already, but I guess what I am asking for is DO I need to lube it for the first time use and what should I lube, etc?

When I am watching these breakdown and disassembly videos they break down such small pieces I couldn't imagine myself doing or wanting to do LOL (just scared I guess) so if anybody has a good first time lubing video of the MR556A1 I'm all eyes and ears.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! I hope to go shooting either tomorrow or next weekend with it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can shoot it right out of the box.
No lube necessary? I read compared to other Ar's it is quite a pleasure to clean as it doesn't get too dirty, but that's hearsay to me so far. I would really know when I do have to clean it after first use what is really necessary to clean and what is just overkill (based on some of these videos I watched).

·
Registered
59 Posts
"It depends" if you are a believer in breaking in a rifle barrel during the first 20 shots or not. Many opinions on this. Not really much effort required to do it.
Perform a search function for reasons why and how to do this and then make your own decision.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
I know the title of this post sounds stupid, but consider me stupid when it comes to AR's. The MR556A1 is my very first!

I am a long time owner of HK USP pistols so I know the drill and can disassemble and reassemble them blindfolded (fibbing a little of course), but consider me very apprehensive about what to do with the MR556A1. I watched a few cleaning and disassembly videos and they are very intimidating to a newly acquainted AR soul like me.

What do I need to do to prepare to use my MR556A1 for the very first time? I put on the Troy iron sights, which I'll get help with zeroing in on the range and even bought an Eotech 512 already, but I guess what I am asking for is DO I need to lube it for the first time use and what should I lube, etc?

When I am watching these breakdown and disassembly videos they break down such small pieces I couldn't imagine myself doing or wanting to do LOL (just scared I guess) so if anybody has a good first time lubing video of the MR556A1 I'm all eyes and ears.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! I hope to go shooting either tomorrow or next weekend with it.
Insert fully loaded mag.....

Close bolt onto first round...……….

Click, click...….boom, until next mag.

Clean after burning...….

Ask me how I know. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Agree with these guys, shot mine right out of the case. Lots of rounds, maybe 400 the first time I shot it. Cleaned and oiled afterwards. This gun has been a rock star since day one. Has never failed to fire or extract the casing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"It depends" if you are a believer in breaking in a rifle barrel during the first 20 shots or not. Many opinions on this. Not really much effort required to do it.
Perform a search function for reasons why and how to do this and then make your own decision.
I need to look into this! As I don't have a decision either way....yet.

Insert fully loaded mag.....

Close bolt onto first round...……….

Click, click...….boom, until next mag.

Clean after burning...….

Ask me how I know. :biggrin:
How do you know? :)

Well then...Love it!!! Ha ha

Agree with these guys, shot mine right out of the case. Lots of rounds, maybe 400 the first time I shot it. Cleaned and oiled afterwards. This gun has been a rock star since day one. Has never failed to fire or extract the casing.
Thanks OH HK! Wish our paths would have crossed before. Lived in Cleveland, OH my entire life before moving down to Austin for a job 7 years ago. Can't wait to try mine out! Just ordered a MRS rail to hand off the bottom of the hand guard so I can mount a fore grip on it. Keeping the ones on the sides for any accessories I may add later.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of all the guns I own, this one actually makes me smile every time I shoot it. I tell my friends this thing is built like a brick wall, and about as heavy.
Dude! I love that guitar gun case setup :) Reminds me of a Robert Rodriguez Mariachi hero case!!!! I can't wait to shoot mine. Had it for weeks but been slowly equipping like for instance those HK MRS rails are IMPOSSIBLE to find without ordering online. My LGS can't even get them. And you talk to a lot of people and they foolishly think it's standard key mod.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
That's really just my "playing" around case. It came in this one, and I use it when transporting it with other gear to protect it.

Heckler & Koch MR556A1 (07-03-2019) - 05.JPG

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
As long as you dont shoot suppressed then the insides will probably get more dirt in it than carbon, as it does not poop where it eats kinda thing compared to DI. When it comes to rifles I am terrible by most peoples standards as I shoot most of mine dry and for some have only cleaned them when I first got them, but I know my equipment and when not to push that limit...most of the time. Enjoy the platform.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
There's four spots where the bolt carrier touches the receiver. Put some oil on those spots. One drop of oil on the ejector. Visually inspect the bore to make sure it's unobstructed. That's it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice bag. Mine came with the one in the photo down below. It also had the HK patch to attach. I'm not going to lie, but until I saw that HK patch I was a little disappointed I spent all this money and the bag had no markings on it. It's not a great looking bag either, but all the Michael Jackson pockets and zippers fit a lot of supplies, mags, etc. so I have that going for me.

IMG_0748.jpeg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts