HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are most if not all A2 stocked with sp89 sights on them usually accompanied by some sort of stamping or electro-penciling of a stock number. Most I've seen including mine are date coded II. the internals are usually excellent to new with finish being fairly worn.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is no sure way to know, except for perhaps the date code. Mine are dated II (1988) and IK (1989). However, the HK94 was imported for civilian use until 1989, so it's entirely possible that there are "non-DoC" HK94s out there with the same date codes. Perhaps someone could chime in regarding the date ranges of '94s imported before Bush's import ban.

The reason I say there is no sure way to know if that it is easy enough to have one cleaned up, re-finished, and have the rear site changed back to a proper MP5 sight. That's what I've done with one of mine. One that has been done, you'd be hard pressed to know for sure one way or another. The other is SBR'ed for use as a sear host, so I consider it a non-issue as far as the DoC status is concerned.

Not that a HK94 being a DoC rifle is a big deal, IMO. I consider them to be a good deal for a real HK94, particularly if they are going to be used for a sear host. Even if they are not going to be SBR'ed, they make great shooters. Most of them have seen very little shooting wear and tear, and appear to have been primarily carried at chest level (most of the finish wear is on the left side of the receiver). My only regret is that I didn't buy more when I had the chance (I was getting them at dealer cost from a LE distributor).

·
Registered
376 Posts
DOJ/ CA. Dept. of Corrections use to issue those DOJ HK 94s to their officers, mostly in tower positions. Those HK 94 were replaced with the Ruger SS Mini-14/ GB 556 Gov't model rifles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doj rifles

thanks for the info guys. 4k for a real hk-94 kind of too high?

what would be a reasonable price and btw this is at a gunshop thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks for the info guys. 4k for a real hk-94 kind of too high?

what would be a reasonable price and btw this is at a gunshop thanks.
Depends. If it's a NIB A3 stocked example with all factory accesories then it's pretty close. If it's a worn one in need of refinish, it's a bit high. This one here was a particularly nice one for $3800. Patience is the key. Unless it's a smokin deal, there will be another one that come's along. If you must buy local and don't want to mess with shipping that's a different story. I've only ever seen 1 in a local shop here in the last 20 years, and I bought it. (for $2500)

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73514

·
Registered
407 Posts
The DOJ guns I have owned had serial numbers beginning with "43-xxxxx". The old HK94's I have owned had 3, 4 and 5 digit serial numbers with no numeral prefix.

Also, the DOJ guns had SP89 sights.

I hope this helps.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in KS

·
Registered
301 Posts
II is 88 & IK is 89, what about IJ?

There is no sure way to know, except for perhaps the date code. Mine are dated II (1988) and IK (1989). However, the HK94 was imported for civilian use until 1989, so it's entirely possible that there are "non-DoC" HK94s out there with the same date codes. Perhaps someone could chime in regarding the date ranges of '94s imported before Bush's import ban.

The reason I say there is no sure way to know if that it is easy enough to have one cleaned up, re-finished, and have the rear site changed back to a proper MP5 sight. That's what I've done with one of mine. One that has been done, you'd be hard pressed to know for sure one way or another. The other is SBR'ed for use as a sear host, so I consider it a non-issue as far as the DoC status is concerned.

Not that a HK94 being a DoC rifle is a big deal, IMO. I consider them to be a good deal for a real HK94, particularly if they are going to be used for a sear host. Even if they are not going to be SBR'ed, they make great shooters. Most of them have seen very little shooting wear and tear, and appear to have been primarily carried at chest level (most of the finish wear is on the left side of the receiver). My only regret is that I didn't buy more when I had the chance (I was getting them at dealer cost from a LE distributor).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have read on here that all DOJs had a 43- serial number, but not all 43- serial numbered guns are DOJ. I guess I do not understand why it is such a big deal being DOJ. Seems to me that if it is in good shape, and priced right, buy it. They won't go down in price, because they will not be imported again, and HK won't build a plant to manufacture an old design in the US. I have my eye on an A3 for $3800, just would love to find a DOJ for a grand less.

·
Registered
301 Posts
J is not used on firearms only on accessories like mags. the next date code possible would be IK.

That is what I have always been told too, just not real sure thats correct.

I have before me an MP5 parts set that would tend to discredit that info.

It has a IJ date bolt, carrier, barrel, cocking handle, A2 rear stock, and SEF plastic lower.

How can this be???

·
Banned
34,580 Posts
LR,

The HK serialization for 1987 (IH), 1988 (II), 1989 (IK) and 1991 (KB) HK94's will be HK HK94 and 43-XXXXXX .
To the best of my knowledge, all of the California DOC ("DOJ") were from these four (4) years.
Thus, all should be serialized as 43-XXXXXX.

Mike,

On internal parts and magazines (1976+ manufacturing), the "J" is substituted for the "K". Prior to that, I believe that the parts/magazines were date-coded (e.g., "1974", "1/74", etc.).

Tony

What say you, HKPRO and Landpimp? :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
There were also some KB (91) HK94's (a few hundred?/A3's), with the proper rear sights, that were released to some HK dealers for the civilian market. :D
AHHH, try to find some of those!!! ;)

Tony
I could not locate pictures, but what is the difference between the MP5 drum sight and a 94's?

Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I do not understand why it is such a big deal being DOJ. Seems to me that if it is in good shape, and priced right, buy it. They won't go down in price, because they will not be imported again, and HK won't build a plant to manufacture an old design in the US. I have my eye on an A3 for $3800, just would love to find a DOJ for a grand less.

That's what I've been saying. :)

There are a handful of snobs that don't like to shoot, and they keep their HK94 safe queens nicely tucked away for the day that they can sell them. *Those* are the people that sneer at the DoC '94s. The rest of us like to shoot HKs.

:2500000:

·
Registered
124 Posts
There were also some KB (91) HK94's (a few hundred?/A3's), with the proper rear sights, that were released to some HK dealers for the civilian market. :D
AHHH, try to find some of those!!! ;)

Tony
I bought my KB DOJ from Gordon Miller earlier this year. Absolutely beautiful with proper rear sight and no dept markings. I think I paid $3200.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts