HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealers who remove the magazines out of brand new Hk pistols etc. and then places the same/said magazines on the shelf to be sold (again!). At $55 each + tax!

Is there any recourse(?) as confronting the dealer, you get stonewalled.

Dealer located in Thorofare, NJ (and I believe is a small conglomerate of a store and a GSA Hk dealer perhaps) and has quite a "reputation" among other fine NJ sporting/firearms dealers as being quite 'shady', as I am putting it as politely as possible.

Dealers like these have not served to bring the sporting good to folks in NJ. God knows we need to present this sport/hobby/right to New Jerseyians as we are voting more and more paranoid anti-gun nutz into office.

How does one address this practice of removing mags from brand new Hk pistols with Hk?

Does Hk even do anything about it?

Some long time hunting/sportsman/shooters/gun dealers in this state have had shouting matches with said dealer in the store. I just hope new to shooting residents don't feel shafted. Not a good 1st impression.

Thanks,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't give them your money. I once had an official dealer tell me that HK customer service was so bad that I was basically buying a pistol that was unservicable. I am in the process of buying my second HK from someone else.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Don't shop there and spread the word about his shady practices. Finding a good trustworthy dealer/FFL in NJ is like trying to find a good honest mechanic. I found two dealers/FFL's and deal with them exclusively.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree, absolutely don't buy from them and like said above-SPREAD THE WORD! A while back I bought an Hk USP45c from DOC's Walthers at a Dallas gunshow. Brand new and only came with one mag. Paid premium price. Back then, I thought Hk was selling pistols with only one mag. He was doing the same thing, selling the extra mags to make an extra buck. My mistake, but I NEVER bought from him again. They deserve to not have your business.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You did not give specifics so what I am going to say may not apply at all in your case, but the shop I worked at had a situation come up where people though we were doing the same thing and we were not.
We got in a butt-load of HK USP/Cs from either AccuSport or Elliot Brothers and about half of them came in with 3 mags. They had been LEO bound guns but somehow found themselves unsold so they were sold on the civilian market. Someone would come in and buy a pistol and get three mags, tell his friend, then his friend would come in and want a pistol which only had two mags with it. He would feel we should give him a third mag or at least take a mag out of another pistol and give it it too him. Our policy is you get what the gun shipped with, period, no exceptions. If it came with two and you that particular pistol for whatever reason, you get the number of mags that came with that gun. We were not going to rob a mag out of another gun and "give" it to you. You want the third mag, buy the gun that came with three. End of story.
Several people got pissed off so we could have saved some headaches if we had removed the third mag from ALL the guns that had them and sold them as "extras." Now that would have been wrong IMO.
So, no matter how hard you try to be fair and honest, someone is always going to get pissed off and accuse you of being dishonest, even when it would have been easier for us to be dishonest than honest. Sometimes you cannot win.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's a shame, the owner would be otherwise a great guy and has a terrific family. Just he himself does not seem to fit into that picture. The range is absolutely terrific. But the prices are exhorbatant. There was a Sig P220R Combat TB that was sold at MSRP and no lower. I know, I handled it.

They said about a yr ago that they are "thru with Hk." I took that to mean Hk was thru with them. Sigs, and what Hk's are left are being sold at a premium. Most people who visit the store have not the understanding of a long time gun connosseur and just accept everything like sheep. You know how that goes. Long time dealers in the state that I spoke with, do not have anything good to say about this guy. I will not post what they said here.

But, all that I can say is, it's a shame...

I have advised Hk on this mag stealing but don't know what Hk can do about it.

As far as I know, all Hk pistols ship with two (or more) mags, NOT one. But to turn around and sell on the shelf behind you, new USPc mags for $55? Where did all those new USPc mags come from?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Yes, selling a NIB USP/C with only one mag smells like a fish gone bad.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you really want to stick it to them, contact either the State Attorney General's office or the local County or City's consumer protection agency. Report them for deceptive trade practices.

I know for a fact in NYC, there are City inspectors that are checking businesses on the retail level everyday. Gunshops don't get any exception. If they don't have a refund policy up, their business license displayed, or if a complaint comes in about the shop selling something not purported to be what it is or suppose to be, they will get hit with a ticket. Might seem like a slap on the wrist, but I'm sure it'll get their attention someone is watching.

Another alternative, contact HK and let them know what is going on. They might reach out to the local distributor who in turn will tell them to stop the the bullcrap or they might cut them off.

But I agree with a lot of the folks above, don't give them your business and tell others. No better way to send a clear message stuff like that won't be tolerated.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I saw a dealer on here selling Combat Competition od green USP .40's that ship from H&K with the JetFunnel installed, but were missing JetFunnel from all 5 he had for sale! At approx. $80 a piece x 5 (to be sold separately off his shelf Im assuming)

I didnt post in his For Sale thread - but it was clear what he was doing! I avoid those 'rip off artists' (and I wont take it back) like the plague!

*Buyer BEWARE*

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you know this is going on, simply avoid that dealer altogether. Let them know also. A local dealer here has done in my opinion a couple shady deals so I refuse to shop there for anything. I'll spend more elsewhere before giving him a nickle. Told him such too. One little lie for an extra $25 cost him a few thousand this year alone and proberly that amount last year as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is only one solution, and that is to not do business with them.

If you identify a dealer that is not to be trusted (and I have one in mind myself) warn others of the situation, so that they themselves might not fall victum to the crook.

As long as we're on the subject, what do you guys think of dealers that are out to royally *&%# unspecting individuals, usually widows, about the value of firearms brought in for sale or appraisal? It's one thing to buy low and sell high, but to tell somebody that a 1st Generation Colt SAA in 90% condition is worth $100.00, or a Garand or 1903 is worth $50.00 (in 2006) is going over the line, imo.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's a free market, the dealer can choose to do whatever they want to do. Just as you can choose to spend your money where ever you want to spend it. Don't like the dealer, go to another one.

Car dealers do this all the time, yet people don't complain nearly as much since they can easily go to another one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow the dealers must really be terrible in new jersey, Every time I've purchased a gun in New York or Florida I have actually recieved extra's that don't come with the gun.

My M1A the guy threw in a Harris Bipod and 2 20 round mags.

My mossberg the guy gave me a new foregrip so I could install a side saddle for free.

And my beloved USP .40 the guy threw in 2 highcaps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
first NEVER Do business with a liar or someone you don't trust 100% (or at least have leverage on).

i've found a couple of guys i trust 100%, even if it costs me an extra $50 here or there. i'm happy knowing i'm sending my money to people that deserve it for a job well done.

next if the liars and cheats have ticked me off. i could post something on the net. contact the State AG, BBB, and many other places since this is a gun....
but most of the time i just give my thousands and thousands of dollars elsewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
first NEVER Do business with a liar or someone you don't trust 100% (or at least have leverage on).

i've found a couple of guys i trust 100%, even if it costs me an extra $50 here or there. i'm happy knowing i'm sending my money to people that deserve it for a job well done.

next if the liars and cheats have ticked me off. i could post something on the net. contact the State AG, BBB, and many other places since this is a gun....
but most of the time i just give my thousands and thousands of dollars elsewhere.
I dont know that this illegal so you cant really complain to authorities about it. If you fondle the gun and know up front it has only 1 mag then you agreed to that. Now if the box says 2 mags then yes I would complain but most dont. It is immoral and possibly HK could stop him but that is doubtful as well since he can still sell them as an unauthorized reseller.

·
Registered
257 Posts
my dealer will not unpack the guns i order , he hands me the sealed cardboard shipping box and we open it together to make sure everything is right...
yeah i pay a little more , but i've dealt with this guy for over 20 years and its paid off more than once in reduced aggro and problems...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It really is a shame. I think I'll just let by-gone's be by-gone's. But I'll still let folks know...

All my buddies and co-workers caught on, (by themselves), how some of these alleged practices are not quite the 'norm'. They have since gone elsewhere to other Hk authorized centers in the state, even if it is lil further, (Butch's Gun World for one, excellent but small Hk dealer), in Vineland, NJ. Jersey is like the US in miniature, and Vineland, NJ is like the Alabama of NJ when it comes to guns so to speak.

My friends/co-workers rail against the dealer's business practices too and we all use guns for work. We NEED tools like a carpenter or mason or electrician, so we don't wanna put up with horsesh*t.

However, I also found an excellent Hk dealer/distributor(?) in NJ. This place the best. They were friendly & helpful and Hk delivered my spec order P2000 (LE specs, 3x mags) directly to them for pick-up in less than a week.

The place is called Brick Armory, in Brick, NJ. They even had a 'Jersey legal' AK-47 last I was there. Here is their website: http://www.brickarmoryllc.com/

Also Lawman Supply in Egg Harbor, NJ. Great prices.

All these places are a bit further out for me, but in NJ, you take what you can get, literally.

Thanks all, for your suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts