HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I just recently bought my first HK product, a USP45c which I took to the range yesterday for for the first time. I shot about 200 rounds.

I first learned to shoot pistols with model 1911 .45s and was very used to single action triggers. Then for a few years my bedroom and outdoors gun was a Glock model 36 which I didn't shoot too much.

My question is... since I am a newbie with double/single action pistols like my HK what would be the best way to learn to shoot this new (to me) trigger style? Yesterday, I was firing one shot double, then one followup shot single action, decocking and then repeating. I had originally planned to carry this weapon cocked and locked, but would certainly like to be able to shoot it as it has been designed to shoot as well.

Could someone give me some advice on how to become a proficient double/single action shooter?

Many thanks,
BES

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Sounds to me like you had the right idea. That is how I practice with my carry gun. However, especially being new to it try de-cocking after every round for awhile getting more used to the trigger. Then go back into what you were doing ie first shot, and then a quick follow up shot.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Best thing to do is just practice.

Load up a mag, de-cock, fire in DA mode, de-cock, repeat.

Then, load up a mag, de-cock, fire in DA mode, fire in SA mode, de-cock, repeat.

Then, load up a mag, de-cock, double-tap DA first shot SA second shot, repeat.

Snap caps are a good idea too to hone your DA pull.

All that being said, I think the idea behind the USP V1 is that it works for everyone. If you're used to DA/SA, leave the safety off and carry as is. If you're used to SA, you can carry cocked and locked and never use the DA pull.

·
Registered
260 Posts
USPs fire in DA?? :confused:

Couldn't prove it by me; I always carry in Condition One.

I say have fun with it, get used to the controls, and decide how you're going to carry it/use it for defensive purposes. Once you make that decision, how to practice becomes a no-brainer.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
USPs fire in DA?? :confused:

Couldn't prove it by me; I always carry in Condition One.

I say have fun with it, get used to the controls, and decide how you're going to carry it/use it for defensive purposes. Once you make that decision, how to practice becomes a no-brainer.
Reminds of a post I read a little while ago where the guy said "I don't recall my PSG-1 having a forward assist."

Sorry... couldn't resist :) But seriously, my USP40 is DA/SA. Maybe you have an SA-only model... if there is such an animal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I actually prefer NOT cocked and NOT locked. I like the DA first pull.
It sounds like you are in the right track with what you are already doing. I also practice from the drawn and ready position; both hands in full grip but held close to the body and centered, not cocked not locked. Then extend, aim, and shoot. Multiple shots for multiple targets too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey that is the great thing about that H&K. You want to learn to fire it the way it was made to be fired. SA is okay! That is one of the only polymer frames you can do that with. Just put your safety on and that is one of the ways it was meant to be shot and carried.

The DA is good to learn for a just starting off. It will definatley give your finger a work out that is for sure. Just decock every shot for a few mags and progress so on and so on like the others said. That is how I learned.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Just keep helping Your favourite TV heroes - dry fire, dry fire, dry fire... The revolver-like DA soon becomes second nature.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I practice a couple of mags shooting DA the SA, decock, do it again. This helped me get a good feel for my DA pull. The beauty of my USP is the fact that I can keep it cocked and locked and have a smooth SA pull on the first shot. My carry guns all have LEM so I don't have to worry about a safety and its ready to go with a consistent trigger pull.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Reminds of a post I read a little while ago where the guy said "I don't recall my PSG-1 having a forward assist."

Sorry... couldn't resist :) But seriously, my USP40 is DA/SA. Maybe you have an SA-only model... if there is such an animal.
Actually, all my HKs are all Variant 1. I keep the DA capability for double-strike capability, though of course it's never an issue with good ammo.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have to admit...i hate DA/SA transition...I practiced for it, but I am trained for SA so I carry cocked and locked. Transition can be a pain and to be honest, for carry purposes, you want to limit anything that might throw you off...with the fight or flight adrenaline pumping through your veins and all the scariness of it all, you kinda want to limit any factors that might throw you for a loop. Not that there is anything wrong with DA...i would rather just have a DAO or SAO...the transition is the funky part that makes it all weird. One of those first two shots is going to suffer under duress no matter how much practice or training you go through.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have to admit...i hate DA/SA transition...I practiced for it, but I am trained for SA so I carry cocked and locked. Transition can be a pain and to be honest, for carry purposes, you want to limit anything that might throw you off...with the fight or flight adrenaline pumping through your veins and all the scariness of it all, you kinda want to limit any factors that might throw you for a loop. Not that there is anything wrong with DA...i would rather just have a DAO or SAO...the transition is the funky part that makes it all weird. One of those first two shots is going to suffer under duress no matter how much practice or training you go through.
I definitely feel the same

·
Registered
42 Posts
about decocking, my experience is that the DA first shot is a lot different than the decocked position shot... do you practice both? shrugs. just wanted to point that out though.

when i dry fire i try to practice both, you can get to decock by pulling the trigger to the decock position and then letting go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like to practice doing Mozambique Drills from a draw while not cocked and locked. This gets me used to the initial strong trigger pull with the 2 lighter ones immediately following. It really depends on what you are more comfortable with carrying. If you want to carry cocked and locked, then I would practice from that start point. It really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
about decocking, my experience is that the DA first shot is a lot different than the decocked position shot... do you practice both? shrugs. just wanted to point that out though.

when i dry fire i try to practice both, you can get to decock by pulling the trigger to the decock position and then letting go.
Are you the same Trinydex from EvoM?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you the same Trinydex from EvoM?
unfortunately...

actually i read my post again and i wanted to clarify what i was saying.

in a dao gun the trigger pull length and weight feels a lot like that of a non decocked pull on a traditional da.

and some dao also have the half set trigger position (at least the sig dak).

so when i say do you practice both i guess i'm saying you could, especially when dry firing where it's not always that you cock the hammer back between each pull.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts