HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, what's the trick here? I'm assuming loc-tite is a HUGE NO-NO.

I just bought an HK USP CT .45. I also bought the HK thread protector (LH 16x1mm). Screwed it on....but after a few rounds, it starts to loosen up.

Is it only designed to protect the threads while not in actual firing or do I need to use a pair of soft jaw type pliers to tighten it down?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I only hand tightened it b/c I didn't want to damage the thread by over tightening it (I have a bad habit of this with all things mechanical) using a tool.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Try slipping a 3/8 ID by 1/16 inch cross section o-ring in the large groove closest to the slide. Then screw on the TP so that it over-rides the o-ring slightly. I have been doing this on the excellent TROS TPs for years and they do not over-tighten themselves or shoot loose.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
+1 to what BB said.

You definatly do not want to use any sort of pliers or wrench to tighten the TP on. The O-ring makes a nice seal so it will not slip off, although you MAY have to replace the O-ring after a while, depending on the TP it can sometimes chew up the o-rings after putting it on and off a few times. (not a big consequence or anything :p)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cool. Thanks so much for the reply guys.

Big Bore, I'm new to the site but you have been REALLY helpful in several threads I've read. Thanks so much for the insight.

I'm looking forward to following your instructions on installing the LEM trigger (4.5-5.5 lb pull) into my Variant 1 USPCT .45.

Thanks to you both.

Sean

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sean, BigBore is easily one of the most knowledgable guys on the boards! He always has great advice on just about any problem HK's! (and many other guns as well) :D

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I have never had any problems with my thread protector. I just simply put it on and I have to be careful to not get it too tight but other wise it's OK. TJ

And like you guy's have said, Big Bore Is one of my faviort assets on here!! He's always very helpful and he does know his weapon stuff!! Thanks to him he's adiding in my HK addiction.... :D TJ

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Okay, what's the trick here? I'm assuming loc-tite is a HUGE NO-NO.

I just bought an HK USP CT .45. I also bought the HK thread protector (LH 16x1mm). Screwed it on....but after a few rounds, it starts to loosen up.

Is it only designed to protect the threads while not in actual firing or do I need to use a pair of soft jaw type pliers to tighten it down?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I only hand tightened it b/c I didn't want to damage the thread by over tightening it (I have a bad habit of this with all things mechanical) using a tool.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
First off, you wouldn't damage the threads by tightening it. They are both made of high-quality steel, and I doubt you could possibly grip the relatively smooth outside tight enough to strip the threads unless you were really really trying to.

Having said that - the o-ring up near the slide as suggested by Big Bore is genius. I smeared a tiny bit of black RTV (gasket maker from Autozone) on the threads of my MP5-N barrel for the same reason. It works great. You don't even have to screw it on very tight, the rtv provides enough resistance that even if you were to unscrew it a full turn, it won't come off any further.

But the o-ring idea is even better - no cleaning first if you ever want to put a suppressor on.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I use the O-ring myself like what Big Bore was describing and have not had any problems. Good luck

·
2,832 Posts
mine comes off also, I did the O-ring thing as well(had one of those jumbo O- rings assortments in the shop) seems to do the trick. I had cranked it down with pliers before, PITA to get off latter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Embarrssingly enough, I have the opposite problem. I just received my USP Tactical with the thread protector on, and it was screwed on too tight!! To take it off, it is counterclockwise, correct?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
NO!!!! STOP NOW!!!! The Tactical and CT use left handed threads. Instead of the normal way of lefty loosey, righty tighty the USP and USPCT use RIGHTY LOOSEY, LEFTY TIGHTY.
To to take it off you TURN IT CLOCKWISE!

It was not on too tight, you turned the damned thing the wrong way!

·
Registered
14 Posts
NO!!!! STOP NOW!!!! The Tactical and CT use left handed threads. Instead of the normal way of lefty loosey, righty tighty the USP and USPCT use RIGHTY LOOSEY, LEFTY TIGHTY.
To to take it off you TURN IT CLOCKWISE!

It was not on too tight, you turned the damned thing the wrong way!
Whew! thanks!!!!! I didn't actually "try"..used two finger (index and thumb) and went both ways, but it didn't budge, so I decided to post before I fully went at it.

Now that I know for sure, it's still freaking tight!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't need no stinking thread protector. It's a weapon you shoot stuff with it.
I had one for my 9SD and never used it and don't use the one for the CT. Holstering and shooting the gun, will not cause the threads to be damaged. It just something else to take off before you put the can on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts