HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JLD Enterprises PTR91 that I really enjoy shooting, except when it comes to changing mags.

I'd like to put a paddle mag release on it

I see RTG has these parts available

HK91 G3 Paddle Lever Magazine Release for PTR91 CETME too , flapper mag release, RTG Gun Parts

HK93 Mag Catch Parts, RTG Gun Parts

Is this something an average gunowner with average skills and common hand tools can do?

Or is it better to send it out to a pro?

Please advise, thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have this on mine and was easy to do yourself. Ergonomically, it works more naturally to use your index finger to release the mag. It goes right to left as opposed to back to front.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
The job is easy if the person has some mechanical skills. What's very important and must be done right is locating the hole. What I think gets in most folks way is opening the area the paddle goes into. The best way to do this is with an end mill but it's possible without one, I've done three of them with a dremel. I recommend obtaining the paddle parts still captured in a cut receiver piece so you can see how they all relate and work together. It's simple but it will help you see how to open up the area for the paddle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just like hkshooterusp said, I would pick up a cut receiver with the parts still intact as a hands on guide, an extra sleeve, the cylinder part that the lever rotates on and hopefully have some useful tools and skills. I did one with a dremel and use my mig welder a bit. Here are a couple of pics of a cut receiver.

By joshuatx at 2012-04-16

By joshuatx at 2012-04-16

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have this on mine and was easy to do yourself. Ergonomically, it works more naturally to use your index finger to release the mag. It goes right to left as opposed to back to front.

I also used the Tac Latch II on a Cetme and the two JLD PTRs that I used to own. There was some very minor work required but no refinishing. Here is a link to my review and how to:

TAC-LATCH II Paddle Mag Release

Bill Springfield installs the original HK paddle releases very reasonably:
Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Ergonomically, it works more naturally to use your index finger to release the mag.
I have a first model Tac Latch. But if memory serves me, I needed to weld on an additional inch or so of finger to use my nose picker to drop the mag. I still use the supporting hand to activate the Tac Latch, just like any other mag release on an HK, only the thumb pushes sideways instead of in towards the mag. Not all that bad, but different, so I have to be aware of which gun I'm using.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have a first model Tac Latch. But if memory serves me, I needed to weld on an additional inch or so of finger to use my nose picker to drop the mag. I still use the supporting hand to activate the Tac Latch, just like any other mag release on an HK, only the thumb pushes sideways instead of in towards the mag. Not all that bad, but different, so I have to be aware of which gun I'm using.
Yeah, it is not quite as easy as a AR15 because of length so you won't get a drop free mag but a G3 mag would not drop free anyway since you gotta rock them in. It really works well when you grab the mag with your left hand and use your left thumb to pull the latch toward you as opposed to pushing the paddle release inward. A little different but I got it so I would not have to do no smithin' for us lazy folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts