HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I had a few members ask me to post my pics that I made during my sight installation. Sorry for the delay, but here is a step by step w/ pics of my installation. I think some of the most important tips to keep in mind are: 1. Under no circumstances, remove metal from the sight dovetails 2a. ONLY remove metal from the BOTTOM of the sights 2b. Do not remove large amounts of metal between test fittings. I limitied myself to two file strokes before I would perform a test fit 3. If you have any doubt or questions, either post a question here asking for help or pack it up and send it to Heinie, HK, or other reputable gunsmiths or sight manufacturers 4. BE PATIENT!! Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope this can help others that may want to try installing sights on their own hand gun. Thanks for all the help and support of those that gave it!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Wow! Thank you, wish I had this before would have saved me $107 for installation by heinie! Now quick question if I wanted to use lock tite should I not use the oil when fitting the new sights in?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your welcome guys! I hope it can help you some how.

Sean415- Thanks to your question, I realize that I did not include pics of the Loctite application. What I did was use the RemOil for the fitting process only. Once I felt comfortable w/ the fit of the sights in the dovetails, I cleaned all traces of RemOil using brake cleaner to have a fresh and oil free surface. Then I applied a small amount of Loctite to the center of the the dovetail and drove the sight in place and centered it. I used an old tooth brush to "scrub" away the excess Loctite and then sprayed brake cleaner on an old towel to finish wiping away the Loctite residue. Tooth picks also came in handy to reach and clean out hard to reach areas. Also, a word of caution on using brake cleaner on your slide...I do not know if the brake cleaner would damage the "hostile environment" bluing on normal HK slides. I didn't have to worry about this since my slide is stainless steel. I'm sure someone that has more experience on the normal finish could comment and enlighten me on this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the instructions, I am expecting to do this myself on my new P30 later this year and this really helps.

Did you apply Loctite to the rear at the initial installation or did you wait to test the POI first? I am unclear on best practice for applying Loctite after the test fire. Also, would you apply Loctite to the rear dovetail like on the front or is it applied on the set screw?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Excellent, thank's for all your time..i have Heine's on my HK45 and thinking about paint on the front sight for my aging eye's..decision's......

·
Registered
83 Posts
How will you know when you've removed enough metal from the bottom of the sights? That's the only part that makes me nervous about the whole installation process.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You'll know when you can finally slide it in there with some effort but without shaving material off the front and back of the sight from friction.

OP, instead of brake cleaner, you can use denatured (or clear isopropyl) alcohol. Cuts right through gun lubricants. BTW, why bother using calipers to center your sights? They'll be slightly off-center when you have them sighted-in. All of my pistols that I had sights installed don't line up dead center after sighting-in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Did you apply Loctite to the rear at the initial installation or did you wait to test the POI first? I am unclear on best practice for applying Loctite after the test fire. Also, would you apply Loctite to the rear dovetail like on the front or is it applied on the set screw?
also curious bout this...

·
Registered
316 Posts
A question to OP or any other experienced in installing sights..

Do you think the vise is really needed ? Is there a common way of "Jerry-rigging" the slide without a vise ?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yep, that's about how I did my P30 !! Easy to fit the sights. Just put some emery cloth on the table. Rub the sights on the cloth. Clean the sight then test fir it. Repeat until it fits. Baby steps here guys! Don't get crazy. A little goes a long way.

One thing I noticed is that your feont sight is painted ALL the way from top to bottom. On my P30, I painted them down to where it was visible to the bottom of the rear sight. I have a little black toward the slide. This way, if I see a little black, I know I'm aiming high. So, I have the top of the sight to get level but also can use the bottom of the front sight to check alignment as well. Hope that makes sense to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts