HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I use my USP .45F as my bedside gun, and have 5 mags to go w/ it. However, I keep 2 mags filled w/ 9 rounds (CA BTW) each in my nightstand, and have the extra 3 mags in my closet. I plan on rotating the mags every 2 weeks so that springs do not get compressed for too long. BTW, I load 9 rounds (not 10) because it is much easier for the mag to be seated, and I personally feel (maybe wrongfully so) that keeping 10 rounds loaded, whether in a mag or pistol might be bad for my gun due to the "tightness" in the mag release, mag springs, and in seating the magazine.

1. With my situation, what is the best or alternative methods to ensuring the longest life possible of all my mags as well as any and all parts?

2. Can .45 auto rounds get compressed or damaged if they are loaded for too long??? I know my 12 gauge should not be loaded for prolonged periods.

3. How long can a USP .45F pistol be loaded w/ 9 or 10 rounds and still be in perfect condition? What about the mags?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keeping the mags loaded will not hurt them at all. Don't worry about it. Springs get worn out by compressing and decompressing them (like loading and shooting).

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Exactly. Quality spring can stay compressed for years and still work flawlessly. It´s # of cycles that wears it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing to watch when rotating mags/ammo is that you don't load the same bullet into the chamber every time.
Constantly loading the same bullet into the chamber causes the bullet to be pushed slightly deeper into the case by the feed ramp each time, and if it seats far enough back could cause overpressure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to watch when rotating mags/ammo is that you don't load the same bullet into the chamber every time.
Constantly loading the same bullet into the chamber causes the bullet to be pushed slightly deeper into the case by the feed ramp each time, and if it seats far enough back could cause overpressure.
Great to know!

I don't rack the slide when I store my pistol in my nightstand, however. I keep the safety on, with no round in the chamber. I feel that if the intruder some how made his way close enough where I don't have the time to even cock the slide, I'd be screwed anyway.

Are there any other considerations when it comes to the ammo and storage? Will ammo pretty much stay in its original condition years after being stored in a magazine?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got a Colt Delta Elite that I bought brand new at least 15 years ago-probably closer to 20.I'ts been a safe queen so I only have 300 or so rounds down it.The mags have been fully loaded for all of those 15-20 years.I shoot it maybe every 3 or 4 years.Never once have I had a problem with the mags.Mags taking a "set" is just pure B.S. to get you to buy new springs.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I did buy Wolf +10 springs for my mags even though I never had any problems. I also rotate my mags about every six months or so but no where near as often as you do. Alot of people say don't worry about it but....I like to take care of my stuff and want to know it will work if ever needed. Not to say that it wouldn't or if someone don't do what I that they aren't taking care of a gun. It is just my thing I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mags

I've had my usp compact, and the magazines for it, for a little over 6 years and roatate my mags about once every couple of months when I get a chance to shoot. I haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On both my HKs I load to capacity then rack one in. I leave them like this until I take them to the range. The longest stretch they have been constantly loaded is around 4 months and I have not had a problem.

The follower on HK mags is big for a reason. It keeps the spring from being depressed to where it will cause damage. You can keep it loaded to capacity for years and it should be no problem. The one mag I have seen that had been loaded for some time and not worked was one with a TINY follower and when loaded, the spring was completely collapsed. This was on a WW2 9mm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't rack the slide when I store my pistol in my nightstand, however. I keep the safety on, with no round in the chamber. I feel that if the intruder some how made his way close enough where I don't have the time to even cock the slide, I'd be screwed anyway.
I keep my pistols loaded and de-cocked. I would not want to be in a situation where I have to use my pistol and not have it loaded. Taking the time to rack one in and bring it on target could be the difference between life or death. My pistol is only to defend me if I cannot get to my shotgun across the room, so in that situation someone is pretty close and I better have it ready.

That's just me though

·
Registered
849 Posts
Interesting question to follow up. Isn't anyone worried about having a round ruined due to some of the oil within the gun slowly seeping into the primer?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Keeping the mags loaded will not hurt them at all. Don't worry about it. Springs get worn out by compressing and decompressing them (like loading and shooting).
It's true that keeping them loaded won't hurt them, but not about how springs wear or weaken.

Springs weaken based on two factors - distance compressed, and time under compression. So they will in fact last longer if you store them empty, but even if stored compressed, they will still last a really really long time. Like decades.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I've got a Colt Delta Elite that I bought brand new at least 15 years ago-probably closer to 20.I'ts been a safe queen so I only have 300 or so rounds down it.The mags have been fully loaded for all of those 15-20 years.I shoot it maybe every 3 or 4 years.Never once have I had a problem with the mags.Mags taking a "set" is just pure B.S. to get you to buy new springs.
+10 to that. I have a cheap Ruger P85 that I've had since 1989 that has had both mags stuffed to the top the entire 18 years. The only time the mags have ever been empty is when I took it to the range and shot the bullets out of them, which is usually about once a month or so for that particular gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This topic has showed up on other forum boards, and the consensus has been that cycles wear out the spring.
Two caveats:
-As noted above, watch reloading the same round too often
-Reputedly, the rounds in the mag will crease or otherwise deform slightly after too long a time in the same stack/order. I have never noticed this myself, but it seems shooting away the carry ammo from time to time is probably a good idea.
Moon

·
Registered
532 Posts
Keeping the "backup" mags loaded with 10 rounds will not be a problem in seating when loading as you will most likely have the slide locked back if you are unlucky enought to go to them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I stopped rotating magazines and unloading them to keep them "uncompressed" about 4 years ago for my USP 45. I haven't had a malfunction or magazine issue since. Still on the same springs-about as stiff as new.

·
Registered
377 Posts
+? to what everyone's been saying.

Keep em topped off and dont worry about it.

I keep a Sig P226 .40sw next to the bed with 12 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. I've never had a magazine related issue come up.

I do however shoot the ammo away every few months.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1

+1 Mags only respond to use. I hate propaganda...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts