HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it took me 3 1/2 hours last night maybe 4 to clean my p2000 and my TRP. I realize this is kinda nuts but im kinda OCD whan it comes to my guns and man are those pistols clean,every nook and cranny I even take the back strap off and clean and lube the spring.and I still have to clean my black hawk!!!man im busy:6200: how bout you guys anyone as bad as me?

·
Registered
50 Posts
nah it takes me 15-30 minutes... boresnake through the barrel and wipe everything else with a microfiber cloth :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
about 3:26 minutes... blindfolded, hanging upside down

·
Registered
140 Posts
One hour per weapon, give or take. Strip, bore, CLP-scrub things down, Wipe down-Q-tips, light oil were needed, assemble, gun rag, done. Sounds quick and easy but I too like to make sure she's very clean. I've got a little TV so I can watch a game or something while I clean so it's easy to take my time.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
15 minutes I use a old towl, M16 brush, bore brush, and swab with CLP

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm with lionhart and bnsutton as I average about 45 minutes to an hour per weapon. I break it down, clean anything and everything, wipe, compressed air to blow out excess and one more wipe down, oil/lube, reassemble and wipe down with a silicon cloth. I either listen to some music or watch tv as I am going along. And I don't find it to a be chore to clean my gun, I rather enjoy it. Helps me to know my weapon really well and I like a nice clean gun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Recently I visited the dentist and luckily I had no cavities; however, the DDS recommended that I DON'T brush my teeth with as much force as I do or for as long as I do, because my gums are being adversely affected. I take about 2 hours to clean my USP .45F, and whenever I'm in doubt, I clean w/ solvent and lube with oil...............

Could excessive cleaning, brushing, applying solvents, field stripping, etc. cause more harm than good if it is above and beyond the "reasonable" cleanliness???

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
About a half-hour per gun for my regular cleaning routine, and an hour or maybe even two per gun if I am doing an extreme detail-cleaning (including disassembly of all the mags).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could excessive cleaning, brushing, applying solvents, field stripping, etc. cause more harm than good if it is above and beyond the "reasonable" cleanliness???[/QUOTE]

Just be careful with the solvents. They can, with long exposure, harm the finish. I only use bore solvent in the bore. The rest I clean with CLP. If I find a area that is not coming clean with CLP I'll use a little solvent on a Q-tip.
We had a rookie in the academy come back with a rusty Sig 220. I asked him about his cleaning practices and he said he used solvent inside and out. He had to get the gun chromed. He learned very quickly how to clean a weapon properly.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
One hour per weapon, give or take. Strip, bore, CLP-scrub things down, Wipe down-Q-tips, light oil were needed, assemble, gun rag, done. Sounds quick and easy but I too like to make sure she's very clean. I've got a little TV so I can watch a game or something while I clean so it's easy to take my time.
I do the same thing and it takes me about the same time because I like my guns CLEAN!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
As far as I know, gun is fine with lots of cleaning or less. Fitted parts taken apart and reassembled tons of times isn't so good such as roll pins etc. in my opinion. Also brushing the barrel to death can't be good but sensible cleaning is mandatory in my collection. Cleaning takes me about the same as most others; 45 minutes to an hour. Of course, I have been influenced by most others on this forum so what else can I say?

·
Registered
123 Posts
20-30 minutes and my pistols are spotless when finished. I like to keep them cleaned and lubed and will do so on a regular basis even if they don't get to the range.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
3 1/2 to 4 hours for two pistols !?!?!?!?!?! Wow. That seems excessive to me. Maybe on a 90 series rifle that you put 1000 rounds through and are just cleaning it but to me that seems a little OCD.

But hey, if you watch TV and enjoy doing it, who cares. I'm sure there's guys who spend 3 hours cleaning one pistol. Me, 15 minutes tops per gun, and I usually only clean the HKs after a couple hundred rounds. It's a combat pistol after all, not a collectible Luger. But hey, everyones different. Do what you like.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You need help my friend. 30 to 40 minutes tops for a thorough cleaning. 15 to 20 minutes if I'm taking it back out in a few days. To me the joy in firearms are their use, not their cleaning. Cleaning is done because it has to be, not because it's fun.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
3 1/2 to 4 hours for two pistols !?!?!?!?!?! Wow. That seems excessive to me. Maybe on a 90 series rifle that you put 1000 rounds through and are just cleaning it but to me that seems a little OCD.

But hey, if you watch TV and enjoy doing it, who cares. I'm sure there's guys who spend 3 hours cleaning one pistol. Me, 15 minutes tops per gun, and I usually only clean the HKs after a couple hundred rounds. It's a combat pistol after all, not a collectible Luger. But hey, everyones different. Do what you like.
x2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You should clean these things? I had no idea?
So that's what "gun scrubber" means?

Hell, I throw the thing back in the safe and go have a cold one!

I've never had any trouble with HK weapons. My guns that have never
been cleaned, look and function just as well as my friend who "sterilizes"
his after shooting.

I guess it all depends on how you want to spend your time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My friend from West Pointe says that they cleaned and lubed their M16s/M4s with CLR....I'm sure he meant CLP, though...Anyhow, it's a one step process, and I was wondering how CLP compares to cleaning and then lubing in two steps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i really enjoy cleaning my guns and I do it while i watch the hockey game so its my two loves combined.....tho i probly do need help:20000000:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts