HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
25-30 min per gun.

Maybe another 15-20 if I do the magazines as well.

I do a thorough job too, I cant get any more dirt off of them so I dont know how some of you guys can spend over an hour on one gun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I dont know how some of you guys can spend over an hour on one gun.[/QUOTE]

my guns look like theyve never ben fired after im done with them,its just how i was taught by my father and grandfather take care of your weapon and it will take care of you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, it took me close to 50 min today cleaning the P30, but that was factory fresh, so all the extra grease took more time to remove, but at least the barrel was just MPro7 and then boresnaked.

Typically, I would say between 30-45 min depending on the ammo used.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I prefer shooting to cleaning, but when I'm not shooting, I'll clean with the best of you. But, the question isn't "how long does it take to clean...", it should be "how long do you spend cleaning..."

I enjoy the act of cleaning, but it doesnt really take me that long if I don't want or have that much time.

As to the question of excessive cleaning damaging your weapon: only if you use something to clean which is capable of damaging the weapon. Abrasives and solvents are bad, and unnecessary unless you turn the grime into a semi-permanent coating, which is why, if you clean lightly and often, you should end up better off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I actually enjoy cleaning gun's, and I guess some would even say I'm a clean freak, but an hour or so isn't bad. Kinda like making love

·
Registered
250 Posts
Although it takes me about an hour to clean and lube my Hk USPf .45, I only do it every 1000 or so rounds. All I do after every range session is wipe down the exterior of the gun and the mags with an old towel. These guns don't need to be cleaned that often. Mine still looks almost 100%.

·
Registered
325 Posts
total time, probably an hour and 20 minutes, but actual cleaning time, probably 30 minutes for 3 guns (USP, 1911 Loaded, Buckmark).

I spray CLP down the barrels and let them sit for like 40-45 minutes and then boresnake, and the just wipe down the slide rails and around the inside of the slide. At the end, I put down a good layer of CLP and let it get absorbed into the metal overnight and wipe down in the morning (my 1911 is parkerized, so I figured why not do all of the guns at once...)

·
Registered
802 Posts
My rule of thumb is to spend no more time cleaning the gun than shooting it. Chewing the fat at the range does not count as shooting time.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I am the designated gun cleaner when my uncle and I go shooting. This means no less then 4-6 handguns to clean at the end of the day. I try to keep it down to around 15-20 mins per gun to get a good clean and re-lube. Easily a little longer if I am cleaning a revolver like the J-frame or Judge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For me, it depends on the pistol.

NAA Guardians, 5 minutes;

Colt 1911, 10 minutes;

Rohrbaugh R9, 15 minutes;

HK P7, 20 minutes;

IMI MR Desert Eagle, 30 minutes;

FN Browning 1922, 1 hour and 48 minutes (the last hour and 18 minutes of which are consumed by simply trying to get the thing back together again).
:170000:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts