HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions: 1) How many rounds fired before a new factory gun will need new rollers to adjust the bolt gap? 2) How many rounds will the gun last before it gets "shot out"?

Estimates are fine, just curious to hear if anyone has kept the data concerning rounds fired and parts needing replaced. I'd like to now the expected service life of my weapon.

Thanks for your feedback.

Scott

·
Banned
384 Posts
According to Ar15DOTcom, about 1000 rounds is well past the service limit of any battle rifle.

Along the same lines, any gun actually shot is now well past the point you can trust it. Reference any of the many ads you read about 20+ yr old battle rifles that have "been fired 1 time and put up in a climate controlled storage vault".

·
Registered
175 Posts
1000 rounds ?? I would think its a higher than that. But then, what do I know!

·
Banned
384 Posts
1000 rounds ?? I would think its a higher than that. But then, what do I know!

I wasnt in agreement with the reports on ARFcom, just referencing them for laffs...

I think a reasonably cared for 91 (built by HK) in semi-auto would last many thousand rounds (18+) before even worrying about wear on anything.

I may be wrong. Im just guessing based off my lifetime of shooting AR15's. You can easily put 10k thru a rifle and take care of it, and it will pass for a 500 round gun to 99% of the folks. Same goes for a good SKS. I have one that there is no telling how many thousand rounds its shot... Well over 15k and it looks like any other SKS...

Now would anyone here put SKS technology and manufacture on the same level as an HK? Didnt think so. What does that tell you about the capabilities of the HK?

I figure the HK series to be able to stand a lifetime (literally) of use in Semi auto. Full auto simply generates exponentially more heat and wear due to friction. Auto Hk's seem to wear appreciably faster. (Based off seeing other f/a versions of the same junk Ive owned...

·
Registered
527 Posts
HKO stated that the G3, when new, with NATO spec ammo, would last 10K rounds in semi with regular cleaning before any roller or bbl issues.

I have seen some last longer, and some not make it that far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HKO stated that the G3, when new, with NATO spec ammo, would last 10K rounds in semi with regular cleaning before any roller or bbl issues.

That is excellent feedback. What is HKO?

Also, would a polygonal bore maybe last a little longer?

·
Banned
384 Posts

Then sadly enough Ill take the SKS.

:830:

·
Registered
30 Posts
wtf! every gun magazine ive ever read stated that the hk91 barrel would last 30k rnds. ijust purchased one because ive read it was the most accurate,most reliable military type rifle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wtf! every gun magazine ive ever read stated that the hk91 barrel would last 30k rnds. ijust purchased one because ive read it was the most accurate,most reliable military type rifle.
Oh, I doubt it. The rule of thumb is it takes about 30 pounds of powder to wear a barrel out, or, in a .308, about 5,000 rounds. There are a lot of variables that affect this, but you are doing well with a conventional barrel to get 10,000 rounds in a .308. Chrome lining a barrel, in addition to making maintenance easier, adds to the life of the barrel. For instance, I have a FN -SPR bolt gun with a MAG-58 machine gun barrel turned down to rifle specs, that's rated for 30,000 rounds of full auto. In a bolt gun, I won't be able to wear it out, most likely. My opinion is that a polygonal bore would fall somewhere between the conventional land and groove barrel and a chrome lined one.

As for the HK-91 being the top dawg....they are great rifles and I really have grown fond of mine. However, military types way more knowledgable than I have told me they would reach for a FAL or AK for combat long before the HK. Apparently the root of such sentiment is the sheetmetal receiver being prone to damage...and the rifle thus becoming inoperable. I can't imaginre the abuse that would cause this, but I've never seen combat either. Still, if the "SHTF".....I'd be hard pressed to leave mine behind.

·
Registered
266 Posts
for to long i have seen this crap posted...on how long a bbl will last...rotflmao! (sorry but i see this alot)
most guys dont have a gun they shoot for 20+years like some..i do!
(and i have a truck i paid for 19 years ago also)lol go Chevy)

i have a Hk91 with well over 15.000rd+ shot out of it..and it's still got a fantastic bolt gap! .012" and still shoots less then 1" at a 100 yards.
and my PSG-1 has 2200rds out of it and it's fine also.

and 8lbs of powder gets me 200rds of .50 cal BMG
and after getting 1600rds of .50cal=60+LBS out of a Mcmill Tac 50 i dont see any diff
in the way it shoots. still a tack driver...just me i Gess

then the nexed thing we see. is the guys saying that a chrome lined BBL. will not shoot as good as a.BBL thats not chome lined...LOL

BOTTOM LINE the gun will last longer then the shooter will.
unless you shoot 1000rds a day for life

·
Registered
732 Posts
+1 on the 30 pounds of powder rule. What happens is that the throat or leade area of the rifle begins to erode with the first shot fired. Chrome Moly tends to look like it has been sandblasted, where the stainless tends to look like a dry lake bottom. When the larger flakes of stainless start to break off that barrel will not shoot as well as it did when it was new. The chrome moly again looks really rough, and some of them even start to get a "donut" of erosion right at the case mouth.

308 is a relatively gentle cartridge, not being wholly overbore like a 22-250, but between 6 and 10 thousand rounds and a new barrel is a good idea.

Mind you, we are talking gilded edge accuracy here. For blasting one can continue to shoot such a barrel.

As far as combat arms go, I too choose the AK first. It is a system I had to get used to many years ago, and so it is instinctive for me.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
For anyone that shoots a LOT, barrels are another wear item which needs to be replaced (just ask any match shooter or NFA belt gunner ;-). If you consider that after shooting 5K rounds of .308 the ammo cost is the same as the rifle (assuming 40 cent per round, as if you can buy anything good for that now days ;-), having to change the rollers is reasonable and possible change a barrel every 10K to 20K is not out of line.

Or better yet, after 10K rounds get another HK90 series rifle and make the first one your "plinker" and/or sear host .... works well for me ;-). An interesting comparison would be the group size of a "shot out" HK91 with 10K rounds vs. an average semi AK-47.

Have a few assorted 30 cal semi's and while the AK's are interesting really like the HK91 (nice system gun and works well) and FAL (little easier to clean with the dust cover and fits well) plus possible a standard weight M1A (nice trigger, iron sights and still like wood stocks ;-).

For a full auto light weight 308 (i.e. exclude the LMG and GPMs) I like either the FAL or the G3 (with a good muzzle brake), however, for the cost difference once your own a sear, the HK91 (possible the well used one ;-) makes nice low cost (vs a separate NFA FAL for a dozen grand or more) 30 cal sear host.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts