HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this add for a Mark 23. I understand the short coming of this pistol based on size. I have big hands and have extensively shot my uncles. In MA a new one is not an option.

Seller claims 400 rnds, however the outside of the chamber looks like it has much more ware than 400 rnds. I am mostly looking at the side where the serial number is.

Also it looks like two of the mags are actually for a HK45, can you confirm this, are they totally different mags, or just different floor plates?

pics in link

WTS HK Mark 23 pre ban

I understand I am asking for speculation on your part, but maybe someone knows if these guns get a lot of early ware, or not.

Also the seller is a FFL, not that that means much.

Thanks,
TMS

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am not a MK23 expert by any means and have no experience with them but I can tell you that I have a USP .45 that I bought in 2002 that doesnt have the wear that the pics show on the MK23, and trust me, that USP has been through everything. It is not a safe queen by any means! When I bought it I put HK's "hostile enviroment finish" to the test! I would for sure go over it a little more carefully and ask some of the experts around here. If anyone knows it will be on these boards.

Good luck brother and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The Mk23's black coloring will wear much quicker/easier than the black oxide on other HK's. Remember, it's a pistol that was designed specifically for a life in salt-water, and has a finish that reflects that need.

Looks fine to me. Just racking it by hand a couple times every night would produce that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
there is a mixture of mags, there. There are 10round and 12round mags. The notched floorplates (notch into top front of the floorplate) are Mk23 compatible (notice the little extension on the front of the magwell). The others likely won't fully seat into the weapon without getting new floorplates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is being sold in MA which is a ban state. He's says all the mags are 10rnd. The ones with the floor plates that don't seat look a lot like HK45 10rnd mags. I was looking on hkparts.net to make the comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Looks fine to me. Just racking it by hand a couple times every night would produce that.
Agreed.....outside of chamber does not look too much outside of 400 rounds.

I do see a 10-round HK45 mag in there and a 12-round Mark23 mag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I picked it up. Two of the mags were for a HK45. I ended up getting it for 2000$, with the four Mark 23 mags.

The gun was date coded 97, Massachusetts banned the sale of this gun starting in 1998, which accounts for the high price. I was happy because unlike the new ones it did have the original Camo Blackhawk case, 4mags, a Vortex flash hider and a Fake can.

As fan as ware goes the gun is very clean, with exception of the out side of the chamber and where the recoil spring rubs on the barrel.

I figured out what had been worn off was only the Lacquer which is a black top coat on the Mark 23 and apparently comes of quite easily.

Here is the card that came with it talking about the top coat.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The card you posted was added to all commercial Mark23's because so many retail buyers complained about the wear in the top coating which is mostly just for evenness and looks. The metal is still well protected by the other two more important steps that protect the metal surfaces beyond 96 hours in the harsh MIL SPEC salt/spray test - the hardest one of all.

G3Kurz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts