HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a used HK45. It being an HK I'm not overly concerned about it being reliable, it is an HK after all. However, I really don't know its history. That said do you guys have any suggestions as to the rule of thumb for running a number of rounds through it to feel warm and fuzy that it will go bang when I need it to.

I'm guessing this has been asked before but I can't find it in the forum.

Thanks to all for any opinions

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would concur.

I usually run 400+ of FMJ and then a few mags worth of SD ammo through each mag that I plan on using for SD. I usually only do 50-100 of my SD load total for the gun, though, simply because if the problem is with ammo capability (like JHP ogive) or a bad lot of ammo and not a gun/mag fault, the problems will be very apparent within 50-100 rounds. That's how I look at it, anyway.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
700 rnds is when the mag springs on my new '94 USP9 started causing problems.

I would replace the mag springs with +10% ones from Wolff and run 200rnds of carry ammo through it before I would start to feel good relying on it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use a different 500/200 round rule on a new gun. 500 total rounds, no failures of any kind in the last 200. If it passes that, I can carry it. If it fails in the beginning, I attribute it to break in. A used gun should theoretically need less, because it's already broken in. I also prefer to use a mixture of different ammo types - I actually try to make the gun fail.

I have four HK pistols, only one of which made it to my hands as brand new.

·
Registered
604 Posts
From my past 2 Hk's......and you said the barrel doesn't look worn. I'd run three different brands of ammo through it in fmj's, probably 200, then run some HP's through it. If you don't have any problems with in 300 rounds I'd call it good. In my experience if something is wrong it's going to present itself rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
For me and this is just me and that is at least 100 rounds of ball ammunition through each magazine and then a magazine each of defense amminition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts