HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On HKPRO the documentation is good for the other 9x series showing the years of importation and the number produced for each year.

This is not so for the SR9.

Does anyone know the number of total SR9s - all configurations including T and TC - were produced?

BMS where are you?

·
Vendor
727 Posts
BMS- should know this for sure. He is by far the expert on these that frequents HKpro. I am sure that he will chime in as soon as he see's the title SR9 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think there were 3,000 to 4,000. I am not sure of the breakdown of T or TC or if the 3,000 to 4,000 are all of them combined or just the standard version. BMS is definitely your best bet for accurate info or you could try e-mailing HK.

·
Registered
335 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
BMS- should know this for sure. He is by far the expert on these that frequents HKpro. I am sure that he will chime in as soon as he see's the title SR9 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. BMS probably has half of the known imported SR9s in the US. Double that and you'd get the number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think there were 3,000 to 4,000. I am not sure of the breakdown of T or TC or if the 3,000 to 4,000 are all of them combined or just the standard version. BMS is definitely your best bet for accurate info or you could try e-mailing HK.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. I remember someone saying they saw or bought an sr9 with a 3xxx number on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The SR9'S must be one of the smallest production runs of any of the HK long guns and from what I have read/learned there were more than 3000 but less than 4000 sold in the USA.Given that the rifles were imported then configured for the orders and then stamped with a T or TC, I would imagine that the 3000-4000 quantity is the total for all three models.

Has anyone installed one of those paddle mag releases on their SR9??

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

yep. I remember someone saying they saw or bought an sr9 with a 3xxx number on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the one that spotted that one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the reference here. I am certainly an SR9 fanatic, that's for sure.

I asked this very same question here a few months ago but since people were not very certain I went ahead and sent an inquiry to Hk in Germany.

This is their response:
Heckler & Koch built about 3.000 to 4.000 units of the SR9. Because this gun was designed to fit the requirements of the US market, all the units produced were sold in the US.
Best regards,
Kai Vahrenhorst
HECKLER & KOCH
Jagd- und Sportwaffen GmbH
78727 Oberndorf

Hope that helps a bit.

PS--Another member here that goes by Suds knows way more than I do about the SR9. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in on the T and TC models.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this makes the SR9 the rarest of all the semi auto HKs. With this small production and the improvements over the 91, why are they not selling for a lot more?

Are they truely sleepers? Is the lack of a flash suppressor the problem?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Seems to me that the SR9 series was a move away from
a military-style rifle toward a target one- a move to
please politicians. The lack of a flash suppressor is part of th reason they weren't that well accepted but also the
thumbhole (for only the SR9, not the T or TC) stock.
Generally, that type of stock was and still is a hated
item.

BTW, some of the very early HK semiautos are much rarer than
the SR9 rifles.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Thanks Brian. I'm no expert, but I was around while the SR9 was coming in. I can't say which semi-autos are the rarest, I guess it all depends upon how you look at it. Are we talking about model #s or variants like the 91 with the poly barrel? I presume that some early semi-autos might have fairly low numbers? Others?

My SR9TC is near serial# 3,500 but I'm sure there are later ones. As I've mentioned before, the TC only had a total production of 125.

A rarer gun than the standard SR9 is the 911. While the 911 is actually a 91 that was altered after it reached the US, it is still a distinct model #. I seem to remember a figure of 1,100 but I could be wrong.

It's been mentioned that it's hard to verify that an SR9TC is authentic because, other than the TC stamped on the side, there isn't anything else to go by (no distinct manual or markings on the box). That's why I saved the original HK packing slip for my TC showing the serial # with TC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello SudS,

Thanks for your posts! and nice to meet you.
Only 125 of the SR9TC were made........wow, you have a collectors item in my opinion. Did you happen to obtain the number of the (T) models that were manufactured? My SR9T has a serial # that is a bit lower than 2900.
I was also bumbed out regarding the manual that featured the basic SR9 thumbhole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

While the 911 is actually a 91 that was altered after it reached the US,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be a little off topic, but I have thought this to be
true about the 911. Do you have a reference source?

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
How many SR9Ts? I can only guess. I would presume that the number of Ts is multiples of the TCs, however, I would suspect that the total is no more than 750, but more likely about 500 guns. I was told 125 TCs by the HK rep. I worked in a gun shop that was an authorized HK dealer. The rep told me that some people liked the T but wanted the PSG1 buttstock. HK made 25 TCs for those that asked, even though it was not a catalogue item. The following year HK officially made 100 TCs, thus a total of 125.

As far as the 911, here is some info from the HKPro web page under the SR9:

"The HK91 was changed into the HK911 during the transitional period when importation of the HK91 was halted, but many HK91s were already in the country. HK Sterling stamped an extra '1' after 91 and this gun changed relatively little, other than it was now named something else, and not included on an import ban list."

As I understand, there was a shipment of 91s that came into the country but had not received all the approval paperwork. George Bush (41) issued the import ban (or temporary hault) in 1989 without much warning. These 91s were caught in limbo. To get the guns approved, HK had to put on a target thumbhole stock, cover the threaded barrel with a sleeve, and spot weld over the tube cap release (to prevent mounting a bayonet). The guns were produced as 91s, so they made them a different model # by stampping the extra 1 after 91.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

As I understand, there was a shipment of 91s that came into the country but had not received all the approval paperwork. George Bush (41) issued the import ban (or temporary hault) in 1989 without much warning. These 91s were caught in limbo. To get the guns approved, HK had to put on a target thumbhole stock, cover the threaded barrel with a sleeve, and spot weld over the tube cap release (to prevent mounting a bayonet). The guns were produced as 91s, so they made them a different model # by stampping the extra 1 after 91.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I had thought about the 91s- how they became
911s. I can remember there were rifles caught in U.S.
Customs and changes were required before they could be released. Aks had thumbhole stocks installed and model
designation changes as well as other changes. I've seen documentation concerning them but never the 91 to 911 change.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey guys,nice to meet all of you,i'm new on this site. My SR9T has a serial# in the 3,300range. I was originally told there were less than 900 T's out there. Looks now as if there were less than that. Chris

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the boards Chris.

Lots of great HK discussions here!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the board Chris! You found the correct spot!

Stay tuneed SR9 owners. I am working on a special treat for everyone. It is not ready for prime time yet. I don't even know if I can pull it off. NO, IT IS NOT PARTS. It is an INFORMATIONAL treat.

I'll keep everyone posted.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts