HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say with a 1/7 barrel twist, what is the max distance you would be able to shoot a 53 with good accuracy?

200 yards?

300?

·
Registered
44 Posts
should hit center mass out to 400, maybe even 500 yrds, depending on ammo and conditions. 1/7 twist should perform well with 55gr and 52gr

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that far out really?

I like the idea of going with the 1/7 twist also so I can shoot any grain ammo with out problems.

What kind of scope will I need to shoot out to 300 yards? Will a 1x be enough? Or will I need a 2x perhaps?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wow that far out really?

I like the idea of going with the 1/7 twist also so I can shoot any grain ammo with out problems.

No, you can't shoot 55gr as the round will not stabilize with that faster twist, it's too light. 62gr is the optima weight for that rifle twist.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No, you can't shoot 55gr as the round will not stabilize with that faster twist, it's too light. 62gr is the optima weight for that rifle twist.
That's complete hogwash.

All the mondern military M16's have a 1/7 twist and 55 gr ammo is standard issue. 55 gr ammo out of a 1/7 twist is perfect.

Actually, it isn't bullet weight that matters when considering rifling twist, it's bullet length.

You can stabilize some 50 gr and even 45 gr HP ammo with a 1/7 twist, it just depends how long the bullet is.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
That's complete hogwash.

All the mondern military M16's have a 1/7 twist and 55 gr ammo is standard issue. 55 gr ammo out of a 1/7 twist is perfect.

Actually, it isn't bullet weight that matters when considering rifling twist, it's bullet length.

You can stabilize some 50 gr and even 45 gr HP ammo with a 1/7 twist, it just depends how long the bullet is.
While I understand and agree that bullet length determines optimum twist rate, not the weight - isn't the weight merely a function of the length since the diameter is fixed?

In other words, besides differences in the tip which wouldn't amount to much, how could one 55 gr bullet be signiicantly longer or shorter than any other 55 gr bullet, assuming we're comparing similar bullet composition?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hollowpoints, air rated metal and plastic cores . Or compressed metal to make it heavier and smaller.

·
Registered
276 Posts
While I understand and agree that bullet length determines optimum twist rate, not the weight - isn't the weight merely a function of the length since the diameter is fixed?
Hollow points, core metal composition, plastic tips/cavities are a few of the variables.

Buy 4-5 different brands of 55 gr 223 FMJ ammo, pull the bullets and measure the length. You'll come up with quite a range.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Hollow points, core metal composition, plastic tips/cavities are a few of the variables.

Buy 4-5 different brands of 55 gr 223 FMJ ammo, pull the bullets and measure the length. You'll come up with quite a range.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned "similar bullet composition". But I forgot that the ballistic tips do extend significantly down into the core.

Are there .223 bullets with larger hollow point cavities than just those tiny pin holes?

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's complete hogwash.

FUN FACT!
sorry it's 62gr ss109 for a long time. not 55gr. has not been 55gr for a long time..the milty even swaped out the old 1in10 bbls to the 1/7 bbls for the 62gr rds...and stopped using the 55gr over 15 years ago!

to make the poodle shooter a even better killer..(of small things)with 2 legs

·
Registered
266 Posts
Say with a 1/7 barrel twist, what is the max distance you would be able to shoot a 53 with good accuracy?

200 yards?

300?
i would not trust it past 300 yards to drop anything bigger then a RAT!

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Wow that far out really?

What kind of scope will I need to shoot out to 300 yards? Will a 1x be enough? Or will I need a 2x perhaps?
Ok, a 1x means no magnification at all, so might as well use the iron sights. And with my 39 year old eyes, I seriously question my ability to even put one on the paper at 300 yards with no magnification.

With a 4x at 100 yards I can keep them all on the paper, but with no discernable "groups".

I'd say 10x or better for 300 yards.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts

200 yards?

300?
Also, accuracy is more dependent on the ability to see the target, and sight radius, than on barrel length. Your chances would go up quite a bit with a 10x or greater scope.

Well, mine would, anyways.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hmm. Everyone I see on here puts an Aimpoint on their weapon, & I planned on doing the same.

But they don't make anything past 2x from what I have seen.

I guess they are only good for close quarter combat?

Any other red dot scopes out there that have the durability and are as compact as Aimpoints, but with more magnification?

I'm mostly concerned with 100 yards or less, but if this gun has the capability up to 300 yards, I guess I would like to have that as an option as well.

Are there any type of scopes out there where you can cycle through the magnifications from say 1x-5x or even 10x? This way you have several options with one single scope?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hmm. Everyone I see on here puts an Aimpoint on their weapon, & I planned on doing the same.

But they don't make anything past 2x from what I have seen.

I guess they are only good for close quarter combat?

Any other red dot scopes out there that have the durability and are as compact as Aimpoints, but with more magnification?

I'm mostly concerned with 100 yards or less, but if this gun has the capability up to 300 yards, I guess I would like to have that as an option as well.

Are there any type of scopes out there where you can cycle through the magnifications from say 1x-5x or even 10x? This way you have several options with one single scope?
Aimpoints are more combat sights than marksmanship sights, with an aimpoint I can hit center mass on a target up to 100 yards faster than I could with any scope, but hitting the bullseye on that target is a completely different story. If you're wanting to shoot out to 300 yards and beyond you're going to need to invest in a fairly decent scope and a spotting scope.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'm looking more for a combat sight than a marksmanship sight, so I guess I will still stick to an Aimpoint. There is a CompC3 that has 2x in either 1MOA or 2MOA.

How would a 2x be for 0-25 yards? Too much magnification? Obviously it will be better for upwards of 100 yards, but I also don't want it to be too blurry from 0-25 where I wouldn't be able to aquire the target.

What do you guys think?

But are there any combat & marksmanship sight combos? Or no?

·
Registered
276 Posts
FUN FACT!
sorry it's 62gr ss109 for a long time. not 55gr. has not been 55gr for a long time..the milty even swaped out the old 1in10 bbls to the 1/7 bbls for the 62gr rds...and stopped using the 55gr over 15 years ago!
There are lots of reserve and guard units that still shoot M193 55gr ball ammo.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe much later down the road I may think about the 3x magnifier, but it's just much more than I want to spend right now.

What about the 2x for 0-25 yards? Too much?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts