HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a nice black PTR-91 that is a few years old (serial # AW0005XX) with the heavy Thompson Center barrel. It is reliable with any ammo (south african no problem) and seems very well made - except that I would prefer a slimmer/lighter HK barrel profile.

I am weighing the cost of selling or trading it and buying a new PTR-91 GI model versus rebarreling. I have a hunch its going to work out cheaper to just sell and buy a new PTR GI ($900 at CDNN). I'm thinking maybe about $125 to rebarrel plus the barrel cost ($240 at HKParts)? Anything else I am not thinking about? My current PTR seems to have US made bolt/bolt carrier, so I wouldn't be trading away German parts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had my PTR91 rebarreled because I had an older one which did not have the correct number of flutes. I had many cartridge ejection problems. I changed to an FMP barrel, slimmer profile, and it was cold hand forged (CHF). It now is a shooter. The barrel cost me about $250 and I paid about $500 to get it rebarreled at an HK gunsmith out here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia (PROK). So, it is probably better to buy a new PTR. But I live in the PROK so it is better for me to just change out the barrel. I purchased the PTR91 new from CDNN in 2008. It did not have many shots through it because it was a pain in the ass to shoot with the bad barrel. So for me, rebarrel made more sense because I had purchased it new through CDNN in Nevada, less hassle for me, and it was still fairly new from a shots fired standpoint.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With that serial number you SHOULD have GERMAN or CONTRACT bolt carrier, bolt and trigger pack.
Having had 2 AW serial numbers below 1500 mine both had GERMAN bolt assemblies and I agree they DO EAT ANYTHING!! (UNLIKE later AW numbered guns!!)
The G.I. I got after selling my 91 with 16" barrel was VERY problematic BECAUSE of the US parts (Bolt Group).
After replacing these with some new ORIGINAL German HK parts I had left from the 80's, and a semi German trigger pack, everything was/is fine. This was BEFORE PTR gave a LIFETIME warranty and appear to have solved most of the problems. If you check the past forum you'll find lots of posts with cracked trunnions on the PTR 32 and G.I. models
I agree with you wholeheartedly that the military profile barrel FEELS better!!
PTR does make a FINE HK Klone and keep adding to the series!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Just buy a new GI PTR and swap out the parts

Personally I have set up my PTR (just like yours) as a semi auto support weapon, with BDC Eotech, Harris bipod, Vortex FS, 30 rd mags and planned 50 rd drums

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Keep in mind that if you switch to the slimmer profile barrel you will most likely lose some accuracy. I had two of the A receivered JLD PTRs one with a 16" and one with a 18" heavy profile barrel. Both of those rifles were very accurate, best five shot groups were just under 1 inch at 100 yrds. Not too many of the military profile barrels will shoot as well.

If you want to get the best idea of the cost to rebarrel the rilfe give ghilliebear a call and he will be able to tell you. You could save a bit of money if you refinish the rifle yourself rather than having him do it. Also an RCM barrel will probably be more affordable than an original HK barrel.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
With that serial number you SHOULD have GERMAN or CONTRACT bolt carrier, bolt and trigger pack.
Having had 2 AW serial numbers below 1500 mine both had GERMAN bolt assemblies and I agree they DO EAT ANYTHING!! (UNLIKE later AW numbered guns!!)
100% true. I'd think long & hard about this. The older guns are just better than the newer offerings. Especially since your gun probably has the Wilson barrel. In your case, the AW gun is the better gun, & did come with imported guts. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
486 Posts
You could have someone reprofile the barrel you have or do something cool and have it fluted. This would of course require barrel removal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keep in mind that if you switch to the slimmer profile barrel you will most likely lose some accuracy. I had two of the A receivered JLD PTRs one with a 16" and one with a 18" heavy profile barrel. Both of those rifles were very accurate, best five shot groups were just under 1 inch at 100 yrds. Not too many of the military profile barrels will shoot as well.

If you want to get the best idea of the cost to rebarrel the rilfe give ghilliebear a call and he will be able to tell you. You could save a bit of money if you refinish the rifle yourself rather than having him do it. Also an RCM barrel will probably be more affordable than an original HK barrel.
Ghilliebear is about the same price to rebarrel as what I paid. I paid a little extra for some parts. The HK gunsmiths baseline price for a PTR91 rebarrel was $450. The HK Gunsmith I used was referred by Ghilliebear. He is in Kalifornia and does PTR91 rebarrels. His name is Carlos and he owns a company called Beltfed Precision. He did an excellent job on my PTR91 rebarrel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK a lot of great input here. It looks like a rebarrel is out of the question with labor ($450 OMG !) and barrel cost.

I was a little bit off on the serial # - it is actually AW 03XX. So still an early AW gun that should have German parts ("you know the Germans always make good stuff" -Vince Schlomi). I checked the bore and chamber - chamber has 12 flutes and the barrel has 5 lands and 5 grooves.

Can you confirm from my pic's that my bolt group and trigger pack are indeed the good stuff? I can probably swing a GI model and retain this one and do a parts swap if I decide I like the GI. I'm fairly certain I will though - this heavy barrel gun is a pig.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK a lot of great input here. It looks like a rebarrel is out of the question with labor ($450 OMG !) and barrel cost.

I was a little bit off on the serial # - it is actually AW 03XX. So still an early AW gun that should have German parts ("you know the Germans always make good stuff" -Vince Schlomi). I checked the bore and chamber - chamber has 12 flutes and the barrel has 5 lands and 5 grooves.

Can you confirm from my pic's that my bolt group and trigger pack are indeed the good stuff? I can probably swing a GI model and retain this one and do a parts swap if I decide I like the GI. I'm fairly certain I will though - this heavy barrel gun is a pig.
You can only tell by taking the bolt head off the bolt guide and looking for the HK trademark on the bolt. The Bolt Guide may or may not have an HK or FMP or some other stamp on them.

If you want to part out your rifle I would like to buy your bolt head and bolt guide, if you don't know how to take the bolt head out.

The trigger group looks like it is HK.

It is not worth rebarreling an HK91 unless it is an original HK91, in my opinion.

I only did the rebarrel because I live in Kalifornia. Less hassle for me.

One other thing. It is not worth building a kit rifle from scratch unless you know how to install a barrel and trunnion and cocking tube yourself and you get a cheap price on the kit and receiver.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I love my PTR heavy barrel but it's not a good CQC rifle.. it's best used off the Harris swiveling bipod I have installed

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
+1 on the accuracy differences.I have 2 JLD built 91k,s ,One has a 4groove TC barrel & the other has an 8groove Wilson. Both are extremely accurate and shoot very tight with NO spread at all and shoot all surplus.. They shoot tighter than my CHF mint FMP hkprofiled width barrel.

·
Registered
346 Posts

A rebarrel should be more like $200 labor. You can check out the vender forum for pricing but I would be hard pressed to put the money into it if it's a good shooter like others have said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ghilliebear is about the same price to rebarrel as what I paid. I paid a little extra for some parts. The HK gunsmiths baseline price for a PTR91 rebarrel was $450. The HK Gunsmith I used was referred by Ghilliebear. He is in Kalifornia and does PTR91 rebarrels. His name is Carlos and he owns a company called Beltfed Precision. He did an excellent job on my PTR91 rebarrel.
good to hear as i currently have my PTR 91 at his shop. price to send out was the same cause i shopped around. plus he is a local FFL so might as well support local business here in kommiefornia. all i want is my hk clone to do is spit out anything i feed it

·
Registered
59 Posts
good to hear as i currently have my PTR 91 at his shop. price to send out was the same cause i shopped around. plus he is a local FFL so might as well support local business here in kommiefornia. all i want is my hk clone to do is spit out anything i feed it
Chief, it will. My PTR91 is a shooter now with the rebarrel. It now has an FMP CHF HK profiled barrel on it. The bad TC barrel with the incorrect number of flutes has been trashed. Carlos does a good job. I have Carlos doing a special HK91 build that I will be giving to my son. I can't wait to get it. It should be done soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A rebarrel should be more like $200 labor. You can check out the vender forum for pricing but I would be hard pressed to put the money into it if it's a good shooter like others have said.
Should be a $200 job but that is not the going rate. Much higher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts