HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am still enjoying the freshness of my two new H&K handguns and I had a bit of luck. I won a stripped AR-15 lower in a raffle at the club. It's a beaut! I have been reading about the options here and I am starting to narrow things down just a little to 5.56mm / 16" barrel. I will mainly use it on the club range (50/100 yards) no hunting or competing. The MR556 is too pricey - I would like to keep what I pay for the upper assembly below a grand. So, which brands/models of upper assemblies should I consider? I like the fact that when you buy H&K, you have something that is going to keep its value even after it has been used for years thanks to the brand's reputation. I am sure there are lots of options out there, but I also expect that the opinions of the experienced people on this forum will be helpful.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Here I am still enjoying the freshness of my two new H&K handguns and I had a bit of luck. I won a stripped AR-15 lower in a raffle at the club. It's a beaut! I have been reading about the options here and I am starting to narrow things down just a little to 5.56mm / 16" barrel. I will mainly use it on the club range (50/100 yards) no hunting or competing. The MR556 is too pricey - I would like to keep what I pay for the upper assembly below a grand. So, which brands/models of upper assemblies should I consider? I like the fact that when you buy H&K, you have something that is going to keep its value even after it has been used for years thanks to the brand's reputation. I am sure there are lots of options out there, but I also expect that the opinions of the experienced people on this forum will be helpful.
I understand that you are new here, but the only HK references in your post were your two HK handguns and the fact that the MR556 is too "pricey". The only other options for a AR-15/M16 platform that is HK beyond the MR556 would be a HK 416 parts set. A complete HK 416 parts set should be over twice the money of a MR556 upper. I would highly suggest that you go to the forums at AR15.com. I'm sure you can find options for building your stripped lower for under a grand there. Again, my point isn't to "run you down" about HK content, but AR parts that say HK on them are very expensive, so you budget constraints make a HK stripped lower build out of the question. Since this is a HK forum, you question doesn't fit. It would be the deal of the century to get a complete rifle from a stripped lower for under $1,000 with HK parts. Good luck with your AR-15 stripped lower project.

Scott

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
I understand that you are new here, but the only HK references in your post were your two HK handguns and the fact that the MR556 is too "pricey". The only other options for a AR-15/M16 platform that is HK beyond the MR556 would be a HK 416 parts set. A complete HK 416 parts set should be over twice the money of a MR556 upper. I would highly suggest that you go to the forums at AR15.com. I'm sure you can find options for building your stripped lower for under a grand there. Again, my point isn't to "run you down" about HK content, but AR parts that say HK on them are very expensive, so you budget constraints make a HK stripped lower build out of the question. Since this is a HK forum, you question doesn't fit. It would be the deal of the century to get a complete rifle from a stripped lower for under $1,000 with HK parts. Good luck with your AR-15 stripped lower project.

Scott
+1. In support of what Scott noted, the staff here at HKPro prefer to keep the discussion HK-centric. In fact, it is the golden rule.

So other than the MR556 upper kit for just under $2000 or an HK416 upper kit for $3000+ there is not going to be anything with the HK label that is going to fit your budget. AR15.com or some of the other forums will be a better place for you to help find what you seek.

Congrats on your win and good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys, I appreciate all of your input. I was definitely hoping I could find a solution with H&K, but was finding none. I ask too because I know from the handgun world that there are some great options out there that are no longer in production that have strong followings. You can still find things like USP Experts on Gun Broker while they are not on HK-USA.com. Maybe I'll just wait a while and get the M556. The piston-driven design is impressive. Until then, I'll keep shooting my two favorites, the 40 Expert and P30L, and remain open to suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts