HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an expert opinion on HOW to break-in my HK45. What are the recommended ammos in the market for target shooting and home defense? Im planning to fire 500 rounds on the first seating, is that ok? I will post my paper targets after. Thank you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would say good old ball ammo for the range, but also fire some of your planned home defence ammo as well to make sure it feeds properly. Some guns with certain ammos don't work well together. I would buy the high end hollow points for the home. ( maximum expansion for maximum damage.)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Make sure you give your new HK45 a good cleaning and detail strip to remove all the packing greese before going to the range. Any factory ammo will work fine in the HK45 as the gun will eat anything you feed it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
(Not an "Expert")

With a new weapon of any sort I always start with a very through field strip & clean. Particularly the barrel (being a rifle guy) I use JB Bore Bright and scrub it down for a while. Then follow up everything with KROIL, let it soak with a healthy coat over night and wipe it down. Any FMJ should do the trick (except Wolf (I don't like the steel case) ) I fire 10 rounds; slow fire, CLEAN and repeat for 50 rounds. Hot and Heavy loads to start with even if you don't plan to shoot them regularly.(Gives everything a good workout) Any quality cleaner will work I'm just partial to KROIL, Break Free CLP is pretty nice too; just stick with a name brand. Good shooting.

(As far as I know break in's are pretty unnecessary in a handgun unless it's designed for matches, it's more of a precision rifle process where and inch at 500yd is a big deal. Just clean throughly so everything is lubed up and there is no unnecessary friction. With a quality weapon like H&K there isn't a lot to worry about)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Make sure you give your new HK45 a good cleaning and detail strip to remove all the packing greese before going to the range. Any factory ammo will work fine in the HK45 as the gun will eat anything you feed it.
+1.

Here's what I did. Blew off the packing grease with Gunscrubber, and lubricated the gun. I use Wilson Combat lubricants, but it's just personal preference. I then took the gun to the range the next day, and fired a 299/300 on our qualification course. Finished out the day with more drills, roughly 350rds total. I fed it Black Hills 230gr JHP to qualify with, and then whatever was in the ammo can (WWB, Federal JHP, mystery FMJ). The gun never hicupped.

It's a HK. It doesn't need to be babied.

Shoot the hell out of it. It will like you better for it :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clean off the grease with some gun scrubber add a light coat of good gun lube.
head out to Walmart or your local gun shop pic up some Winchester white box, Remington UMC or CCI and let it rip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try CCI I think it is allot cleaner than Winchester White Box. I put 400 rounds through my HK 45 the first day I got it, ran flawless.

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
You guys clean them?

This ain't no custom 1911....

The HK45 doesn't come with "packing grease" from the factory. It comes lubricated and ready to go.

I took mine out of the box and to the range where I put 100 flawless rounds through it.

These pistols are tools, not swiss watches. They are meant to run, no matter what.

Go shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
961 Posts
"The HK45 doesn't come with "packing grease" from the factory."

True, its more of a "dirt magnet" rather than grease...

·
Registered
108 Posts
You guys clean them?

This ain't no custom 1911....

The HK45 doesn't come with "packing grease" from the factory. It comes lubricated and ready to go.

I took mine out of the box and to the range where I put 100 flawless rounds through it.

These pistols are tools, not swiss watches. They are meant to run, no matter what.

Go shoot and enjoy.
Um... I'm sure the pistol will survive, but this is certainly not recommended. Unless you use grease as your regular lube, don't do this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts