HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be visiting my brother in NC next week and was curious how I could pack my USP for the trip. I know in Arkansas you have to have a concealed carry permit to have a loaded concealed handgun in a car. What are the rules in NC? Thanks

G

·
check to see if Arkansas and all states in between if you are driving, have reciprocity with NC. If your state does, then your CCW will cover you. If not, your best bet is to carry it far out of reach(trunk) and separated from the ammo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be visiting my brother in NC next week and was curious how I could pack my USP for the trip. I know in Arkansas you have to have a concealed carry permit to have a loaded concealed handgun in a car. What are the rules in NC? Thanks

Carrying a handgun in NC is very tricky. If you carry a handgun
in the trunk, and do not have a CCW, and get caught....you will
be changed with a concealed carry violation. If you have a CCW
and NC recognizes(SP) it, you should be OK.....

I have been told by numerous LEO's that all I have to do (I don't have a CCW)
is to carry it in "plain sight" (where it can be seen by an officer should I
get pulled over). I have went thru road blocks, and been stopped before
while having my .45 in a shoulder harness, and never had a problem.
The rules may vary with a out of state CCW, I'd call the NC Highway
Partol in Raleigh....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm... so driving to the range with a trunk full of guns would be illegal if you don't have a CCW in NC? That's news to me. Heck, you can drive through Jersey with a gun in your trunk. I think NC would be OK. I guess I'm breaking tons of laws every time I go shooting. :D

OP, just use common sense. It's required that you have your pistol in plain view (dashboard, unoccupied passenger seat). If you get pulled over, make sure you let the officer know you have the weapon and make sure it is plain view. PLEASE do not leave your gun in plain sight if you leave the vehicle. Use common sense. Take it with you or lock it up discreetly.

I've lived in NC well before we got CCW and never had any problems. I would avoid Durham, Chapel Hill and maybe Asheville like the plague though. They are liberal bastions now and Durham in particular is hard on people with guns. I doubt the officers there are as understanding as other parts of the state.

Please understand that these are my opinions and you're best bet is to check packing.org and NC state law before doing anything that might get you in hot water. After reading our laws, it seems NC isn't as gun friendly as I thought. :(

Here's the link to NC weapons laws on Packing.org: http://www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/

Er, I guess I could have read the OP better. Hope your trip went well and was uneventful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been in Law Enforcement in NC for 23 years and I have never heard of carrying a gun in the trunk being illegal. It is not accessible to the driver or passenger. Under the seat, yes. The best way that I know of, is to have it in plain view. If you are stopped by an officer in your vehicle, keep your hands on the steering wheel. As the officer approaches, just tell him "officer, I want you to know that I have a pistol lying on the seat where you can see it". He'll appreciate it if you tell him. It is legal to have it in plain view if you are legally able to own a firearm. DON'T reach for the weapon to show it to him. Also, if necessary, tell him that your wallet is in your pocket and ask him if he wishes for you to step out of the car before you get your wallet. That way you won't have to reach back in the area of the weapon. I have always respected someone that alerted me to the fact that he was armed before I saw it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have been in Law Enforcement in NC for 23 years and I have never heard of carrying a gun in the trunk being illegal. It is not accessible to the driver or passenger. Under the seat, yes. The best way that I know of, is to have it in plain view. If you are stopped by an officer in your vehicle, keep your hands on the steering wheel. As the officer approaches, just tell him "officer, I want you to know that I have a pistol lying on the seat where you can see it". He'll appreciate it if you tell him. It is legal to have it in plain view if you are legally able to own a firearm. DON'T reach for the weapon to show it to him. Also, if necessary, tell him that your wallet is in your pocket and ask him if he wishes for you to step out of the car before you get your wallet. That way you won't have to reach back in the area of the weapon. I have always respected someone that alerted me to the fact that he was armed before I saw it.
I carry my USP to and from the range in my trunk, in its case, unloaded with the HK cable lock through the slide. If this is in anyway illegal then I would like to know. I don't see how it could be though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I carry my USP to and from the range in my trunk, in its case, unloaded with the HK cable lock through the slide. If this is in anyway illegal then I would like to know. I don't see how it could be though.
From what you've described, it is acceptable transport. It's unloaded, it's locked, and it's unaccessable in the trunk.

I think post #3 was refering to keeping a loaded gun in the trunk without a CCW permit.

Regarding concealed carry in NC or any other state, I've found handgunlaw.us to be the best source for CCW info (since packing.org is defunct)
The link is here ... http://www.handgunlaw.us/

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as the trunk goes, it really doesn't matter whether it's loaded or not. To be charged with carrying a concealed weapon, it must be accessible to the driver or passenger and concealed from view. In the trunk is not accessible unless someone can reach it from the passenger area. That is what a District Court Judge told me a few years ago. That is the standard that the Law Enforcement officers in my area have been going by when dealing with firearms in a motor vehicle unless it's changed drastically within the last year, but I think I would've heard of it..

·
Registered
81 Posts

I got out of a ticket by doing just that. I was also abliged to sit on the side of the road for 10 minutes while the officer and myself discussed where I got the gun, how much it was, what type of ammo do I carry and if he should buy one for himself. Small price to pay for running a red light.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Once you make it here to NC the really sneaky part of concealed carry (for me at least) is that you you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. This keeps you out of most sit-down restaurants (Applebees, Outback...).

No concealed in a totally government building which usually means the Post Office, Library, courthouse and other governement buildings.

No guns on school property.

·
Registered
19 Posts
NC Carry

NC requires carry in plain sight. Most officers don't want to see it though. I am pretty sure NC has reciprocal ccw laws with all neighboring states.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Alright, maybe I can clear up a few things. I am a criminal defense lawyer here in NC, and I also have CCW (they call it CHP here). You can carry any gun fully loaded in your car as long as it's in plain view even without CCW. Whether the gun is loaded or not has ZERO bearing on whether it is legal or not. If you carry 15 fully loaded HKs and AKs on the dash and hood of your car, you are A-Okay. Some LEO might want to charge you with "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public" which is a common law crime here in NC. You're really not guilty of that though since case law tends to require a weapon be exhibited in a menacing manner and toward at least one individual person though.

What is illegal is carrying a gun that is CONCEALED and within "easy access" of a passenger or driver. This is where you must look to case law as the statute is not clear. In general, if you do not have CCW, the best thing to do is to keep the gun in the TRUNK of the car or TOOLBOX of the truck. It can be FULLY LOADED. Remember that whether the gun is loaded or not has ZERO bearing on whether it's legal or not. Areas that are clear violations of the law if you don't have CCW are places like an unlocked glovebox, console, and under the seat.

Violation of the law carrying a concealed gun is a Class 2 misdemeanor. The statute is NCGS 14-269. A Class 2 is punishable up to 60 days in jail if you are a level 3 (5 or more prior convictions) for sentencing purposes. In reality? You're most likely just going to get probation unless you're a habitual offender already on probation.

In NC, we also have to be VERY careful about the CCW law. Just because you have CCW does NOT entitle you to carry to lots of places. Bars, alcohol establishments, restaurants that serve alcohol, government property, schools, and places that charge admission like a movie theater or fair are ALL OFF LIMITS to CCW. Also, any store or establishment that posts a no CCW sign is also off limits. It's not just that they can evict you for trespassing. You are in actual violation of the law if you carry in a posted area.

This part is also vague. When you encounter an LEO, you are supposed to inform them that you are carrying and show them your permit as well as another form of id. Another form of id is required when you are carrying. The CHP license alone is not enough. Thus, most will carry their driver's license with them obviously. I've seriously been at places like McDonald's and standing in line where an officer smiled at me or nodded and I had to go show him my CCW and tell him I'm carrying. Better err on the side of caution than break the law. 9 times out of 10 the officer will be like, "Huh? So you're carrying a gun? Why should I care? You got a license," and don't care. Lots of officers don't know the law themselves. One time I had a city officer help me open my friend's truck doors since he locked his keys in his truck. The officer was like, "I don't care," when I told him I had a gun and tried to show him my license. I think that law is just stupid. One should only have to tell an officer about their gun in a potentially ADVERSARIAL encounter like a traffic stop in my opinion, not some McDonald's chit chat.

Another thing people have to be careful with is that the CCW does NOT let you carry other weapons concealed. ONLY pistols. Have a shotgun or carbine in your vehicle? Better be visible even if you have CCW. The permit only pertains to handguns. Pocket knife concealed? You're in violation of NCGS 14-269....even if you have a CCW permit. Now on a practical matter? I seriously doubt a police officer will write you up for carrying a concealed knife if you already have CCW and showed him your permit. However, it's still a technical violation and it's better to be safe than sorry. It's not exactly easy to get a CCW in NC too. I know lots of people who were turned down because of prior offenses such as simple assault, communicating threats, dv stuff, throwing objects at sporting events, DWI, etc. Just because you are a non-felon does NOT mean you will be quaulified to get your CCW license here in NC. Hope this clears up some questions.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Here is a list of states that have concealed handgun permit agreements with North Carolina:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes NC's CCH laws are a joke. You can carry a concealed handgun everywhere except any place you are likely to go and want a gun for protection. It would be nice to get some REAL conservatives in office and fix that crap.
I have to say I have wondered what constitutes an encounter with a LEO. I always figured it meant if you were "formally" addressed by an officer, as in questioned or stopped for some reason. I can't imagine walking by a cop on the sidewalk and he smiles and nods and I have to stop him and let him know I'm carrying concealed. Even standing in line at McDonalds or gassing up my car in the next isle over and a cop happens to be there in line too.
Where is the line drawn? Do you have to stop a cop in the mall if you walk by him with your gun concealed. Or cross the street and tell a cop you saw that you are carrying?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts