HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy yall,
Greetings from the Texas coast!!! Been lurking on this forum for a month or so while I researched USPs and now that I'm in the process of finding one decided it was the time to join yall's fine ranks. I've been trying to find a brand new USP40 but as it would turn out the only thing I've been able to find in the entire city is horrible condition used USP40s from the mid 90s that look like they are in worse fighting shape than my 90 year grandmother. I prefer to hold in my hands and visually inspect something before I spend money on it, but I figure I'll probably have to buy one online. Bud's has a 10R mag for under 820 so probably just have to get that one and spend $60 on a couple new high cap mags. The only difference between a 704001A5 and a M704001A5 would be the capacity of the two mags right?

But yeah, I've carried Glocks for years since the first day I could legally carry and put thousands upon thousands of rounds down range with them. But I started noticing that I could shoot the subcompact hammer guns I have better than the full sized Glock I carry every day. So as one open to constant improvement and growth decided to consider hammer fired guns that have a reputation that precedes them and have years of real world testing and between Sig, 1911s, and HK the USP won hands down. I was really surprised I've known many LEOs over the years that carry Sigs and 1911 variants, but I found the USP to be far superior in terms of ergonomics and function especially since I'm left handed.

But wish me luck on my hunt for a USP40, I'm looking forward to picking this forum's knowledge when I try to convert it to variant IV and put nite sights on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your hunt!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't be so worried about mid nineties usp's, unless they are the police trade-ins. I bought a KF (1995) USP full size four months ago because like you I could not find what I was looking for and impulse bought, however the gun shoots and handles fantastically. Even the police trade ins get their internals refurbished, it just how much of a beating the finish/frames took. I am selling my USP .40 only because 2 months after I bought it my friend decided to sell his HK's and go strictly sig. So I ended up with his USP full sized .40 with the OD green frame and the jet funnel kit. I obviously plan to keep that one, but I don't need two full size usp .40's. These guns can last forever, if you haven't found what you want online, you should be able to find one on this forum. By the way, welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome, & most importantly would be round count on the inside, not outside condition from a "carry weapon" with respect to slide wear & finish on the outside. Worst case scenario would be a higher round count, which just means replacing a few springs at worst (P2000sk, high round count, great weapon to shoot, but did a spring change just for peace of mind). As long as there's not a dog-nut in the barrel, it will shoot and perform flawlessly, but this is just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't find any dog-nuts in any of the barrels, but the mechanical/barrel condition of the used ones I came across was definitely going to need some work/replacement parts. I don't own any pistols that haven't at least at one point been a carry/duty gun so the cosmetics of a sidearm doesn't matter to me. Besides wear shows character. But either way I found a brand new 2010 model for about $50 less than the best price I could find online at the gun show last weekend. Now just got to order my night sights, and V4 conversion parts and get-r-done.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Congrats :biggrin: I just bought an '05 slightly used USP-9 off GB (with box, papers, fired casing and 2 15rd mags) for $585 shipped. Not the greatest deal but it was the cheapest 2001+ USP I could find.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Best wishes on your search. Let us know when you find something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apart from starting with the hobby, it would also be very important to be able to get the proper arms for you. I mean, you might be really interested with guns but without having the appropriate guns and sidearms to work with, I am quite sure that would not make for a very interesting experience with the whole thing.

Good luck on you new hobby/inclination and hope you do good with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts