HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
i also heard the perp was an illegal immigrant but i don't know that for sure yet. believe i caught that on 770 this morning. the local aux. officers (outside of the city) can carry after a certain period of time. they are considered NY peace officers with firearms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is a very sad day to see our own go down. NYC APO and Nassau APO are not allowed to carry on duty or off duty. We are not allowed to have a full carry license nor are we provided with a bullet proof vest. We walk and ride the street on our own with a baton only.

Its sad that a 19th yr old and 28 yr old doing community service in uniform are restricted to protect themselves while protecting the community. They lost their lives, dreams and now have broken homes.

We undergo intensive background checks but are limited in our capacity...

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
peace officers are a different story. 2 of the owners at my range are peace officers. It's not volunteer like aux is. They have full roll and duty, but not on the street. Usually in the courts and tax departments and the like. Essentially they're civil service police, which is why they carry and are paid by the state.

·
Registered
94 Posts
damn i saw this on the news live when it happened....god damn shame..

im in north nj....paterson

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Gun was illegal
If you watch the video below the briefing (the one titled what motivated...) they noted he was DIS-honorably discharged from the military which would deny him a pistol license in NYC (and most states to my knowledge). This means the pistol he has was indeed obtained illegally.

So this guy had previous problems, was trained to use a gun, the military dropped him, he went crazy paranoid, had a personal problem, so decided to get a gun illegally, and get 2 illegal high capacity mags (at least in NYC), and commit premeditated murder.

Would gun laws have prevented this from happening - NO. Stricter gun laws - NO. He would've gone to great lengths to get a weapon illegally to get it. Even if guns didn't exist, he'd probably have used some other deadly weapon or even a vehicle. Stricter laws on cars and kitchen knives - vote today! /sarcasm

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anytime you represent a police force in uniform, in any capacity, one should be armed.

The general public and especially criminals, won't say "Oh, you're only an auxillary police"...

I would think the volunteer auxillary force would think long and hard about continued benefits to the city by their group if the city won't support them.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just a followup, Bloomberg's response was to issue vests to all Aux, despite the fact that these officers were shot in the back of the head as they were ducking for cover. These Aux police needs guns, not vests and radios.

·
Registered
221 Posts
maybe banning bad breath would be a good idea.

·
Registered
221 Posts
that's why i had to leave. lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts