HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just recently turned 21 and purchased my first handgun which just so happens to be an HK45 :)

I just have a few questions about doing the LEM conversion of the trigger. First of all is it something that I could consider doing myself or something I should take to a gunsmith? Being a first time handgun owner and not knowing much about disassembling or anything of that sort (besides what the manual tells me) I'm kind of nervous to just start digging into it. Second what does doing the LEM conversion entail? I realize it makes the trigger pull lighter, which is what I want, but are there any other effects on the gun? I've heard things such as the safety comes off? Are there different trigger pull weights you can set it to? Or even in the peoples opinion that own guns with LEM triggers if its worth it to get one?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Congrats on your first handgun.
Please use the Search feature to your advantage. This has been discussed countless times and there are instructional videos and guides for LEM installation on here.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy and good luck on the LEM conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's a mouthful to answer. The LEM is an acquired taste for some. My advice, keep the stock trigger, buy boatloads of ammo, get some training and master that trigger. In the meantime, see if there's someone in your area that you can try the LEM before going to the expense of putting it on. You may not like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the advice! Sorry for bringing up an old thread again to beat it to death. Ill be sure to use search first before asking next time.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Jacob,

It troubles me a bit that your first inquiry is asking how to install the LEM, and your follow-up is basically: what is the LEM?

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but get to some professional instruction (Gunsite may be in your area). There are numerous options on HK pistol variants, and many of us have different preferences. Become acquainted with your pistol, do some research and THEN make your decision

·
Registered
854 Posts
this...

Jacob,

It troubles me a bit that your first inquiry is asking how to install the LEM, and your follow-up is basically: what is the LEM?

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but get to some professional instruction (Gunsite may be in your area). There are numerous options on HK pistol variants, and many of us have different preferences. Become acquainted with your pistol, do some research and THEN make your decision

Having recently bought the gun, It begs to me why exactly you are even considering LEM conversion; On one hand, it makes perfect sense to learn the trigger break after doing the conversion--however, the HK45 has a decidedly different trigger from the USP series....

I concur that your priorities should be with shooting the bejeezus out of it, reading up and learning everything you can find about maintaining it, and finding reputiable training in your area...doubly so if you are planning a Concealed Carry or Home Defense role for the firearm...

Congrats on the gun and welcome to the forum (you already made 2 great choices!)

·
Registered
234 Posts
As your first gun, shoot the thing. I'd say give it at least 1000 rounds down range in standard double action/single action. After that, if you still want to try LEM, have it converted (or better yet, shoot an HK with the LEM conversion) so you can decide. Who knows? After the conversion you may find that you like the double action/single action more. Furthermore, after the 1000 shots down range in double/single, you may love the trigger so much that you no longer feel a desire to convert to LEM.

Slight segue. I fire 2000 rounds of factory ammo down range to test reliability out of any new firearm I purchase. I didn't switch to LEM til after that 2000 round mark. I'm at the 3700 round mark now in roughly a year of ownership. It's nice, but I shoot either version equally well. And outside of the HK, I would go back to double/single (IE: I am not sticking only to HK just because of LEM).

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Yes, LEM has a place and its not in this scenario

Welcome to the forum. Read up on the LEM and you will get it. Also - Aim small, miss small. Practice all the time every time and you will rock with that pistol. It is one of the most comfortable shooters I own.

here is mine:

crappy picture I know

I personally dont find it difficult to fully strip any pistol but to each his own. I will say it takes practice a basic knowledge of what makes a pistol design. Also make sure you have the right tools for the job and work on a bench, no carpet. Trust me on that, carpet is your enemy unless you have a huge neodymium magnet lying around, lol (I actually do , dont ask)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts