HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my cousin who lives in Kansas. He is a bow hunter but he told me that he knows a fellow who hunts deer with a hand gun. I am trying to imagine a 45 at the kind of close range that bow hunters are accustom to. Any one doing this with an HK USP?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Iowa, has a hand gun season, for Deer hunting. I think you can hunt with a 9mm, 40S&Wcal., 357Mag, 44mag, 45acp, & 50. Plus a host of other large cals. I think if you look up Iowa .com on a search and then go to a page for the DNR ( Department of Natural Reasores,) you will find lot's of info about hunting with hand weapons.

I also have known many of people who have gotten good sized white tail with 40 cal. TJ

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Personally I would not use an semi-automatic handgun as a hunting gun. I would go with the classic Thompson Contender chambered in some rediculous large caliber round. Your only going to get to fire one shot so why have a semi-auto? Also, the Contenders fixed barrel is going to make it more accurate over greater distances then the semi-auto. Even a large revolver (S&W X-Frame .500) would be more effective.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Personally I would not use an semi-automatic handgun as a hunting gun. I would go with the classic Thompson Contender chambered in some rediculous large caliber round. Your only going to get to fire one shot so why have a semi-auto? Also, the Contenders fixed barrel is going to make it more accurate over greater distances then the semi-auto. Even a large revolver (S&W X-Frame .500) would be more effective.
+1 on this idea

I think it is simply poor sportsmanship to use low caliber handguns to hunt large animals. I respect other living beings and if they are going to give up their life for me, I will kill them with respect and dignity in one shot.

Although if they are suffering because I F'ed up...then I wouldn't hesitate to pull out my 45 and put one in the head.

RESPECT

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm inclined to think the same way, go with my classic Brit .303 riffel but I would think that a .45 a close range, say 40 yards, like bow hunter range, does plenty of dammage and would stop a deer with one shot. anyone actually do this?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Not much of a hunter any more but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I cant remember his name, but I used to work with a guy that only hunted with his 1911 during deer season when everyone else hunted with a rifle. He seemed to do pretty well and had a very high one shot kill record going from what I remember. I got the feeling he practiced a lot too though, I dont know if he had the 1911 scoped or not. Course he always struck me as a sort of...odd, like the kind of guy that you wouldnt be surprised to find out was a serial killer. so take it with a grain of salt lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would feel more than comfortable hunting deer with a 45 Hk. I've killed a few with a Suppressed 45acp Marlin Camp 45. I'm thinking a mk23, or the new hk45 plus a suppressor would be ideal withing 60yds.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I cant remember his name, but I used to work with a guy that only hunted with his 1911 during deer season when everyone else hunted with a rifle. He seemed to do pretty well and had a very high one shot kill record going from what I remember. I got the feeling he practiced a lot too though, I dont know if he had the 1911 scoped or not. Course he always struck me as a sort of...odd, like the kind of guy that you wouldnt be surprised to find out was a serial killer. so take it with a grain of salt lol.
Oh, great, sheesh
ok, I think I can hunt without becoming a serial killer. Unless you count serial deer kills.

I'm assuming you would want to use a hollow point round? maybe a +P too?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I've hunted deer with a handgun for over 25 years and IMO there is no handgun that HK makes that is suitable for deer sized game. The lightest caliber IMO that is suitable for deer is the .357 Magnum and then at only 50 yards are less and with bullets of 180 gr. or more. The lightest I have hunted with is the .44 magnum and even a small deer can take a hit from it and keep on going if shot placement is not quite perfect and large deer can soak up even a perfect shot and keep on going. Shot placement is EVERYTHING. If the shot goes off a hair with lighter rounds you are not going to recover the deer and it is going to die a slow and painful death, and they deserve better than that.
I got sick and tired of deer even when solidly hit with the .44 magnum running anywhere from 25 to 100 yards before dropping and moved up to the .45-70. That tends to drop them in their tracks even with just a lung shot. The .454 Casull is just as good as is the .50 Alaskan which I currently hunt with. And the .50 AK is to the .500 Smith as the .44 magnum is to the .44 Special or the .357 Magnum is to the .38 Special.
Over gunned, sure I am, but even when the shot is less than perfect the deer are down for the count right where they stand and that is the secret to some great tasting venison. No adrenaline gets released into their system to taint the meat and you don't have to spend time tracking them down before field preparing them. And solid hard cast wide meplat bullets do not destroy a lot of meat like a high powered rifle bullet does that works on rapid expansion.
IMO nothing made my HK in the pistol line up has any business in the deer woods unless it is there to protect you from two-legged creatures when bow hunting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A 45acp is just as powerful and efficient as a Bow. Shot placement is always key. A 230grn to the head or neck and they just fall as well.....

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Unless of course you are a little off and don't make quite a perfect shot in the head and neck, then a deer dies a needless and painful death. Real sporting...:(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unless of course you are a little off and don't make quite a perfect shot in the head and neck, then a deer dies a needless and painful death. Real sporting...:(
I'm inclined to agree. It's simply irresponsible to go out after deer with anything less than a .357 magnum. and even that is a stretch to me. I don't think most shooters attain the level of precision needed to get kill shots with service caliber handguns. and you're risking maiming an animal which in my opinion is just cruel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
bigbore

I tend to agree with BigBore, go with a larger caliber for hunting. I use a .454 Cassull revolver w/a scope. I consider .45acp to be anemic for hunting large game.

One of the most important and limiting factors for handgun hunting is you and your weapon. Take the kill zone of your prey, lets use a 4" diameter circle, for example. Limit your shots to the distance you can reliably stay tight within that 4" circle. If you can only keep all shots within the 4" kill zone at 15 yards, you should consider that the maximum distance for using that weapon. When determining your kill zone distance, fire the same way you will be firing when hunting (don't use a bench and sandbags if you will be shooting off-hand in the field).

Handgun hunting is fun, it falls between bow hunting & rifle hunting.....though it is MUCH closer to bow hunting. Without a high-power big-bore scoped pistol, you'll probably find you are effective at 15 or so yards (I could be off, as I don't have a clue to your shooting abilities).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hunt in Germany and I don't want to sound disrespectful but I consider hunting deer with a .45 (40 yards, lmao) unethical and some smartass comments here seem to come from amateurs that have never hunted before ...
my 2 eurocents

·
Registered
10 Posts
As someone who lived in Iowa where it is legal to hunt deer with handguns, let me just say that it can be done.

I didn't really look at it as "Gonna go out with my handgun and bag me a deer" but instead decided to bring a handgun with me while pheasant hunting, since the two seasons overlapped. We've all been out in the woods and stumbled across a deer (or had a deer stumble across us), so I brought my handgun and deer tag for these situations. No, you probably shouldn't be shooting at a deer with a .45 at more than 25 yards, but with the amount of deer in SE Iowa, your chances of getting within 25 yards of a deer on any given day are near 100%.

:740:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good point, there is no need to make an animal suffer, a quick clean kill the way nature intended is the least we owe them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Make sure you check the regs in your state- where I live there are very specific rules at minimum caliber. I would agree with those saying bigger is better. I'm a hunter and kill animals but I don't like them to suffer....

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
We are discussing hunting right? NOT sitting in a tree, waiting for deer to walk under, so it can be shot at close range. << Thats not hunting, its stalking...and I wont take it back.

I grew up in Montana - we hunt out there, MT state law prohibits tree sitting...no exceptions for bow either, and requires the hunter to wear 400+sq. inches of orange above the waist at all times - white tail are pretty easily spooked...the hunter will need to know how to hunt to tag one. Bow hunters are not required to wear orange.

I dont see using any HK pistol to hunt deer...distances are too far & calibers are too light.
I have got a few whitetail with a TC Contender in .30-.30 Win. in Montana

1 - 20 of 31 Posts