HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals

I am thinking about setting up a ptr 91 gi for hunting white tail maybe pig. was wondering if anyone has set ther ptr 91 for hunting and what they think about it compared to whatever.

also maybe suggestions on which upgrades to apply,

also i know nothing about scopes, so whoever wants to chime in on that as well lets hear it!

:350:

·
Registered
917 Posts
If your PTR has a rail, you can put any scope or sight on it according to your taste.

If no rail, get a claw mount and pick your optic.

If your pigs are under 100m, a reflex sight may be your ticket.

Scopes are like underwear, you gotta try a few to decide.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If your State has a restriction on mag capacity for hunting you will need to make/buy one of the appropriately sized mags to avoid getting your rifle confiscated by a Game Warden.

The PTR works fine for hunting as long as you don't mind carrying a 9+ lb rifle through the woods all day. Many hunters get along just fine with a 4x or 3-9 scope so a 1-6x24 scope would work and avoid interference with the charging handle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your PTR has a rail, you can put any scope or sight on it according to your taste.

If no rail, get a claw mount and pick your optic.

If your pigs are under 100m, a reflex sight may be your ticket.

Scopes are like underwear, you gotta try a few to decide.

Dennis
you just made me never want to buy underwear again
i was thinking for a scope the Sig TAC CP4
Sig Tac CP4 Optical Sight  Sig Tac Prismatic CP4 Scope.png

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i saw somthing saying ptr suggests between 150-170 for the ptr91 gi.

i was thinking of getting these for hunting 308 WINCHESTER DEER SEASON 150 GRAIN POLYMER TIPPED

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I wish I could use my hk91 for hunting here in PA :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
i may be wrong, but it's my understanding that sig optics are crap. i'd avoid anything with dual red/green reticles.

DS

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Primary Arms makes very well thought of optics that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
101 Posts
what would you suggest other then sig?
I run a vortex spitfire 3x on one of my PTRs. That's a great little scope. Not too expensive, vortex warranty, nice fine reticle, also has a removable spacer so you can get it very low mounted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i'm just not an optic guy really, i prefer irons. i have trijicons and aimpoints and they are great but probably waaaaay overpriced.. i've just read so many negative comments/reviews about sig optics that i wouldn't even try it. people seem to love vortex (lifetime warranty!) and primary though. Save up (like 900 bucks up!) for an accupower or accupoint and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill check that out thanks

what do you guys think about an reticle(I think that is the right term?) , magnifier combo, would it be practical for hunting?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Vortex optics also get great reviews.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ill check that out thanks

what do you guys think about an reticle(I think that is the right term?) , magnifier combo, would it be practical for hunting?
I believe you meant to say a red dot/magnifier set up. They can work but personally I would go with a 1-6 scope as it's a cleaner install and faster to change the magnification. Plus you aren't limited to a single power as you are with a magnifier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry thank you, i checked it out i found this Vortex 1 6x24 Strike Eagle Riflescope AR BDC Reticle Hunting Rifle Hunting Sco   eBay.png

Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle Riflescope (AR-BDC Reticle)-Hunting Rifle-Hunting Sco

·
Registered
101 Posts
IMG_0053.JPG

Here is an example of a strike eagle mounted on a PTR.

·
Registered
101 Posts
is that urs
?
Yes. My new PTR. I am still working on it. I am configuring it as a dedicated bench shooting rifle. I still need to buy a matching grip, a better bipod adapter, and a scope better suited for precision shooting. The strike eagle is a decent quality optic but the reticle is a bit fat to try and pick out the half inch center of a bullseye at 100 yards. Normally the strike eagle sits on my tavor where it is better suited. The mount is a Midwest Industrys QD with a 1.5 inch optical center.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts