HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the sun is to my back and I am point shooting, I can see my slugs leave the barrel, fly through the air and hit the steel/dirt target. It happens with 9's too.

I am shooting 200 grn rn with 5.2 grains of WST, which should be at the high 800's in velocity. But it happens with 9's and 45's so speed really isn't the issue.

Anyone else experience this? It is pretty rad!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Have seen it with 38s but not anything else. I thought when it was happening then it was due to cheap ammo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can see them too. :55: The lighting at my range makes it easy.

Also it's MUCH easier to see when you are watching someone else shoot.

I shoot 230gr handloads at standard pressures.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've seen it with .45s as well. How fast do they fly through the air!?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've seen it with a variety of different bullets. It just requires the right lighting, sunrise or sunset works the best.

I've also seen super sonic shock waves from rifle bullets being fired prone.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was playing at 100 yds with a friends .45 and we could see the round going down range, pretty cool!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've seen it with most all my guns at one time or another when the light is right, range is long, or other conditions are just right. When I shot NRA HP (30-06) on days with high humidity and lots of mirage we could follow the bullet (actually we were seeing its wake) to the target through the spotting scope at 600 yards.
A .22 LR on a white target when shooting at 50 to 100 yards is almost impossible NOT to see when scope shooting.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Now if we could just control the flight path with our minds!

Be Safe
Gayle

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've seen it with .45s as well. How fast do they fly through the air!?
A .45 ACP fired from a 5" barrel will be pushing anywhere from 840-1000 fps, maybe a touch more depending on the ammo. Seems to me I remember being told 850 fps for a 230 grain FMJ way back when in Boot Camp. That's probably real close for most FMJ range ammo. Slow though it may be it's still gonna hurt. ;-)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've seen it with a variety of different bullets. It just requires the right lighting, sunrise or sunset works the best.

I've also seen super sonic shock waves from rifle bullets being fired prone.
Doesn't the bullet go super sonic inside the barrel? Physics wise, the bullet will start slowing down the moment it leaves the barrel.

Right?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've seen it most often while shooting my Wilson Accu-Comp .45 acp.
with my own reloads consisting of a 200 Gr. HG-68 Cast SWC using 5.5 grains of WW 231 powder. Almost always, it's been late in the evening with the sun at my back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ditto re the .45 and 100 yard shots.
Also saw the 5.56 heat trail from the 500 yard line while coaching the KD course south o Swamp LeLuene. we could call the shots some of the time.

L

·
0 Posts
its pretty common when im using the shotgun and some medium-velocity slugs. on an average day its actually kinda hard to miss.

very cool watching the slug leave barrel and impact into a watermelon!

·
Registered
383 Posts
+1

I was just gonna say I see with slugs all the time. You can even see them tumbling with longer shots.

Cant say i've seen much from handguns or rifles.

Although I dont have the best eye sight, so take that FWIW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts