HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

Just wanted to share my story and see if this has every happened to any of you. I consider myself a fairly smart individual but this weekend I did something extremely stupid. Although I blame it on lack of sleep, Im still really mad at myself.

Ive been trying to impress a new company Im working for and Id been working so much that I litterally hadnt slept a wink in three days. I live in Clearwater, Florida and my next job was in Ft. Lauderdale, so I had to fly out Friday morning. Thursday night after getting home from work, I had only a few hours to shower, pack and get things in order before I had to be at my moms. She was taking me to the airport.

When I got to my moms, I informed her that I was going to leave my carry pistol, a 9mm USP Compact, on the top shelf in her closet along with my carry permit. Shes very knowledgable with firearms, she has one of her own as well as her own carry permit. Anyway I let her know I was leaving it there with my permit. Obviously I had no need to take my permit since I was getting on a plane, why risk bringing it and losing it.

Anyway, long story short, I get to the airport, I go through security, and thats when my stressful week got even worse. The TSA agent asked "whos bag is this"? I replied, thats my bag Sir. Thats when he asked me why I had a loaded 9mm mag in it.

I almost crapped my pants right there. I completely overlooked the fact that there was a loaded magazine in my bag and I walked through security at an airport with it. I didnt know if I was going to be arrested, or fined, or what was going to happen. I certainly didnt think I was going to make my flight and that would be really bad since it was for work.

Basically, a police officer came and ran my record. He told me if my record is clean I should be fine and still make my flight. I told him the worst thing theyd find on my record is speeding tickets.

He handed me my license once the check was complete, and told me to have a nice day. I made my flight. They couldnt really give me any information other than Id be receiving a letter in the mail. They said its in TSA's hands now (Transportation Security Administration). They said Id be placed on a list and probably cannot check in for flights online anymore. They also mentioned there can be a substantial fine. Before I left I asked the nice security guy if this happens a lot. He smiled and said "it happens all the time".

Has this ever happened to any of you nice people? Anyone with any similar stories? If so, what was the outcome? He said Id probably just receive a warning letter in the mail but Im freaking out not knowing if they'll be a huge fine or God-for-bid my carry permit may be in jeopardy. I would never forgive myself. Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated but please dont reply telling me what a bone head I am because believe me, I already know ;(

Thanks all...
LJ

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I haven't done what you have but from the sounds of things your going to be OK. I would think you don'ty really fit the profile of what they are looking for! You readlly admited to it being yours. You also didn't miss repsent your self to anyone. I think that will play highly in your favior.

If something more serious happens you probally could appeal and hire an attorney to help you out of this. Good Luck!!! Slow down on the work man!! TJ

·
Registered
870 Posts
Wow that's a bad day! I would just hope the TSA would understand that it was just a honest mistake and give you a warning. I'm guessing if you were in any big troble, you would know right. Then and there. That's just me though. Good luck, and keep us up to date!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I can honestly say that I have not had that happen. That sucks, and is very embarrasing for you. Let us know how it turns out you have my curiousity

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got to love a government that fines its citizens for simple mistakes. And you have to love it even more that they violate the rights of these citizens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
at least the magazines better half wasn't in sight....

...and be happy they didn't go "searching" for it

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Hmm, yet another great reason for me never to board a public airplane. Besides my control issues, that is. ;)
I took 2 guns on a plane a few weeks ago, fully loaded. An MP5 and a P7M13. Nobody said a thing.

Nothing like being in control...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Never have had that happen to me, but that was a bonehead oversight. ;-) At least you didn't have your pistol in the bag. That would have been catastrophic. Hopefully you'll get a warning letter and that'll be the end of it. One major reason I avoid air travel like the plague any more is all the bull you have to go through just to get on your flight. Nail clippers, pen knives and any other 'dangerous' weapons can get you snagged during check in and create problems. Total mess these days. I'd rather drive. Good luck.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
I'm kinda wondering what would happen if you brought a EMPTY magazine.

Glad to hear you didn't get in trouble, like arrested or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would'nt worry about it. The TSA agent said it happens all the time. People get in a hurry and they forget things. Not like you had a record. They'll give you a wrarning which I think is a courtesy letter informing you of your mistake and not to do it again. Don't lose any sleep over it.

People bring knives, box cutters, cigarette lighter, etc. which all gets confiscated, and those guys don't get fined. Honest mistake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before I left I asked the nice security guy if this happens a lot. He smiled and said "it happens all the time".

LJ
You mean people take loaded 9mm usp mags on flights all the time? JK. Hope everything turns out ok for you and your job. No sense in worrying about something thats out of your hands now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hope it turns out well. Sleep deprivation is a dangerous and insidious thing, ain't it?

An acquaintance of mine tried to go through security with a Keltec P32. Pure forgetfulness on part of a permit holder. He is actually even a lawyer (record gets scrutinized, like in medicine and on military applications). He got off with minimal consequence (a letter, I think) by being straight and spending a heck of a lot of time explaining himself. Of course this was before 9/11/01.

I occasionally do a double-take when headed to the airport, wondering if I've brought any bags that've been to the range. I don't know what they look for on the mass spectrometers (that read the little paper swipes), but it seems like powder residue wouldn't be the best thing to be covered in. Or a few loose rounds in the bottom of the bag...

Keep us posted, particularly if you learn anything about the process. I would think the thing to most worry about is something that gets tacked onto your record. Especially in this age of paper trails and government/corporate control.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I hope it turns out well. Sleep deprivation is a dangerous and insidious thing, ain't it?

An acquaintance of mine tried to go through security with a Keltec P32. Pure forgetfulness on part of a permit holder. He is actually even a lawyer (record gets scrutinized, like in medicine and on military applications). He got off with minimal consequence (a letter, I think) by being straight and spending a heck of a lot of time explaining himself. Of course this was before 9/11/01.

I occasionally do a double-take when headed to the airport, wondering if I've brought any bags that've been to the range. I don't know what they look for on the mass spectrometers (that read the little paper swipes), but it seems like powder residue wouldn't be the best thing to be covered in. Or a few loose rounds in the bottom of the bag...

Keep us posted, particularly if you learn anything about the process. I would think the thing to most worry about is something that gets tacked onto your record. Especially in this age of paper trails and government/corporate control.

Best of luck!
You could call Barry "Gunsmoke" Switzer. He tried to go through Dallas Love security with a loaded handgun he'd forgotten about in a suitcase. Nothing happened, but a) he was the coach of the Dallas Cowboys at the time and b) it was before 9/11.

I'd like to think they do seriously take intent into consideration.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I took 2 guns on a plane a few weeks ago, fully loaded. An MP5 and a P7M13. Nobody said a thing.

Nothing like being in control...

Ummm AviatorDave, can you elaborate on how you did this? Are you a Federal LEO?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'm glad to hear your not in trouble, but there is no reason in my mind why a respectable citizen should be penalized for forgetting a "mag in his bag". I am glad federal case wasn't made over innocent forgetfullness.

I find it most appualing that the TSA confiscates bullet keychains and pewter guns tie-tack pins for fear that they are working firearms/live ordanence from credible gun-enusiasts like us. It is obviously not a live round if the key fob is attached to the drilled out primer, and there is no way a small hollow perwter pin with no inner workings could fire a bullet of any size! I have no doubt that some of these confiscated articles end up in the hands of the people that took them.

I somewhat understand the need for these policies, but in a "post 9/11 America" aren't we being a little backwards? If those terrorists new there were armed civillians on that plane they would have thought twice about pulling that bull****.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you get to keep your mag? I'm sure they took the rounds, but did they take your mag also?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ahhh the apprehension of getting a certified letter notification in your mailbox. How long can you put off going to the Post Office???

1 - 20 of 47 Posts