1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
279 Posts
looks sweet ( sexy actually but apparently thats abit weird :p:p )

just a question ... whats "decked" .... rails added ?

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Tell us how you modified the stock to accept the bigger buffer. There are several of us here that want to do the same. Images would be great.

Thanks....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Tell us how you modified the stock to accept the bigger buffer. There are several of us here that want to do the same. Images would be great.

Thanks....
+1

I would like to know. Also I would like to know where to get that buffer...

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
+1

I would like to know. Also I would like to know where to get that buffer...
I placed a wanted post on this forum and acquired a G3 heavy buffer for $155 shipped. From what I see the Magpul stock will have to be modified by widening and extending the standard buffer cavity but by extending the cavity you will loose the rear attachement of the buffer. By loosing the rear attachment of the buffer will that affect the operation of the buffer in the stock or is that attachment needed since there are two other attachments on the front of the buffer?

Thanks......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I modified it by dremmeling out the small lip in the back of the stock adapter. It wasn't my cleanest work I've done and took off just a hair more than I wanted, but the buffer fits totally snug and the stocks integrity was not compromised. I don't think the operation of the buffer is lessened too much by not having the rear fastener secured. I got the buffer from HKPARTS.NET. Here are the pics..... Thanks for the compliments!
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00571vt0.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00572pz9.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00578ug8.jpg

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
I modified it by dremmeling out the small lip in the back of the stock adapter. It wasn't my cleanest work I've done and took off just a hair more than I wanted, but the buffer fits totally snug and the stocks integrity was not compromised. I don't think the operation of the buffer is lessened too much by not having the rear fastener secured. I got the buffer from HKPARTS.NET. Here are the pics..... Thanks for the compliments!
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00571vt0.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00572pz9.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00578ug8.jpg
Thanks for the info and images! I think the G3 Heavy Buffer is going to stick out about a 1/4 of an inch more out the back. I will attempt my mod this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Javier, just to fore-warn you, I think the heavy buffer is going to have a larger outside diameter and will need more surface area to be removed. The MSG90 2 stage is the same diameter as the standard buffer and fits perfectly down the tube. I hope this helps.....

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Javier, just to fore-warn you, I think the heavy buffer is going to have a larger outside diameter and will need more surface area to be removed. The MSG90 2 stage is the same diameter as the standard buffer and fits perfectly down the tube. I hope this helps.....
Yes you are right! I am going to fill the cavities around the buffer cavity with aviation type epoxy to strengthen it before I expand it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If the buffer is longer than standard, you may lose the major point of strength holding the stubb stock onto the endcap. All you will have holding the whole thing together is the little tiny screws. I don't think that will be enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see your point about not having the rear screw in the buffer fastened to the stock adapter and it might not be as secure, but the buffer is longer and is snug along the whole length of of the adapter and actually acts as a heavy duty reinforcment. The only weakness is if you were to pull the stock out from the receiver with alot of force, which is not a very common application. The only methods of significant force is recoil or using the stock as a club and I see the stock being secure in those directions of force. The standard buffer was also not attached in the rear with the A1 stock when I received the rifle, so I guess it's not entirely needed. I would trust the buffer to perform well in this stock.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice weapon. You sure have an awful lot of empty rail for a "decked" rifle tho! :p

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
It can be done!

Finally modified the Magpul PRS2 G3 stock to accept the HK G3 Heavy Dual Stage Buffer. See the images. Thanks to STUDCACTUS and HK4EVR for having the HK parts available.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great! How did it go putting that bigger beast in there? Putting in the MSG90 in mine was about the extent of my dremmel skills, I wish I had the guts to attempt the "bid daddy buffer" install!

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Looks great! How did it go putting that bigger beast in there? Putting in the MSG90 in mine was about the extent of my dremmel skills, I wish I had the guts to attempt the "bid daddy buffer" install!
The trick was to fill the outer spaces of the buffer cavities with epoxy thus strengthening the cavity for the bigger drill diameter of the two stage buffer. Then step drilling the cavity using small to large diameter drill bits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's made by JLD and can be bought on PTR91.com. I had to buy the enhanced securing mount which screws in rather than the standard pin so the handguard won't move as much. I don't know if the sell them now with the part already included, but it should be used with it. To keep the parts count down I'll probably keep it. Personally, I would probably opt for the wide handguard eventually, but for now it works just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts