HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So starting this thread because i plan to do a review on one, I placed my order for it on thursday of last week 6/15/17 and it will arrive Monday, 6/19/17. I ordered this after selling my OM-9 pistol I had before.

As to my experiences with the OM-9FS pistol, I did have some teething issues, a couple jams starting out which i narrowed down to the locking piece which appeared to have two lines on each side that looked like forging marks, After contacting Atlantic firearms they immediatly got me in touch with Omega, we talked on the phone for about an hour. We determined it was the locking piece over the phone, sent the bolt carrier back to him, and he replaced the locking piece and extractor, sent me a few extractor springs extra, and test fired the carrier in a full auto and semi auto gun and returned it to me. After receiving the bolt carrier i had ZERO malfunctions afterwards. So i was very happy with the level of customer service provided to where I am not afraid to purchase this gun because an MP5SD has always been my Grail gun, However, I also have a Form 1 can that i wanted to had a home on one of my 9mm guns, and this works out great for that role.

I will provide pictures and a review on the receiver when i get it, however I also ordered a semi trigger pack from robert RTG, and have to finish clipping a lower i have so i will have a little bit of work to do before i can have a functioning firearm.

(Sorry for my low post count, I mostly post on Arfcom and browse here.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice. I have been lusting over one of those since I saw it. I really like the fact you can use a standard suppressor. I am just not in the mood to deal with the new tax stamp process and wait a friggin year to SBR it. Why can't the lowers be the serialed part on HKs like ARs? Looking forward to your review.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Nice. I have been lusting over one of those since I saw it. I really like the fact you can use a standard suppressor. I am just not in the mood to deal with the new tax stamp process and wait a friggin year to SBR it. Why can't the lowers be the serialed part on HKs like ARs? Looking forward to your review.
Wait times will be dropping off drastically here by Fall!! Funny, it's the last thing I think of and doesn't bother me at all especially to have the HK guns I want...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wait times will be dropping off drastically here by Fall!! Funny, it's the last thing I think of and doesn't bother me at all especially to have the HK guns I want...
I just got something back from July 12th. We're almost over the peak of the hill.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you have other cans/mounts you could show on or lined up with the gun?

I would love to see an omega9k on the omega sd k. With a Griffin or rugged 3-lug mount? Too short?

And an obsidian45 in K Configuration, for that matter.
If things go according to plan, I will be ordering one of these soon. I will have a Mystic and a form 1 can that I will be testing on it. Both with the 3 lug and with the threads. The form 1 can is a lot shorter. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I really wish this product had come out sooner. I ended up having one built (a faux SD) a year and a half ago, and it's not as nice as this (mine is more a US made SD shroud that was cut and welded onto a standard Coharie CA94, which still leaves a bit of a gap between the end of the shroud and the suppressor. Oh well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, So to start off, heres a pic of the MP5SD-K complete with a lower that I clipped myself, but have yet to pin, and am still waiting on a trigger pack from RTG Parts.

These are actually marked OM-9D as the model and the serial number are both stamped ontop of the receiver, very nicely done, not stamped too hard and uniform.
The welds on the receiver holding the sights on are very well done, The finish is uniform without any visible runs in the paint, I believe these are parkerized and than painted.

The rear sights, now, due to how the rear sights are held onto the gun, welded and perched ontop of a curved receiver sometimes they can be canted slightly, My OM-9FS pistol I had suffered from this, however much like an AK, if they can be sighted in, the gun is in spec. (I believe, As I have seen pics of real deal HK's with slightly canted sights If someone wants to correct me, please do.) This one is much better in that department with them being straight on.

About the can and how it sits under the handguards, I would have liked them to use a slightly shorter barrel inside the handguards, Maybe a threaded K length instead of what seems to be a K-PDW. My can is a 7.5" Form 1 can I would have liked to see sitting much further back into the handguard as you can see here it sits about 1-2 inches below the end of the handguard.

Here is a shot of the gun without its handguard, so that you can see the SD cage. You can see the threaded tube inside, which seems to have the purpose of supporting the cocking handle inside its tube where the can would have on a normal SD, as well as has the threads for the fake suppressor to screw onto. A modification that would add a little ore time in making these, but would be a nice addition to cut a bit of the weight it to have slots milled though them that match the SD cage slots. This would cut down a bit on the weight under the handguard.

Now the Bad.

I say this without having shot the gun yet, as I have no trigger pack yet. But when I removed the locking piece it has the same tool marks in it that my original OM-9FS had and the bolt had to be sent back to Omega for check and replacement of locking piece/headspace check. I have already contacted Omega as I had their phone number from dealing with them on my OM-9 and they are sending me a locking piece.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey whitetail, just out of curiosity, how does your trunnion alignment look? Looking down inside the receiver from the back? I have a full size OM9 receiver and it is good to go.

I was considering getting an SD, great review so far. Let us know how it runs for ya!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks fairly good, one side is slightly higher on the rail than the other I saw some pics of HK cut trunnions from real parts kits that showed about the same amount, however it transitions very smoothly from rail to trunnion, no "Speed bumps" where the rails are lower than the inside of the trunnion. I can take a pic later.

I'm currently dealing with Omega regarding getting a trigger pack for it, as the one i ordered from Robert RTG wouldnt allow the bolt to cock, Omega is sending me a complete lower grip and trigger pack for free, to try and swap parts out between packs, and see what i need to alleviate that issue, and than i can send the parts back i dont need to them, or give me the option of purchasing the entire trigger group.

I have also since painted my can black and used a different mount so that it sits further back in the shroud and is black, looks a lot better than the Shiny can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats good, I purchased a stripped receiver so I was curious about the complete ones. Good luck with the trigger pack, I'm glad to hear Omega is trying to iron out issues that customers are having.

Your SD is awesome by the way, I bet it will be wicked once you get her done.

·
Quietly Making Noise
51 Posts
Don't have an Octane 9 but do have a Griffin Optimus that I ran with my new SD-k today. The Optimus is 6-3/4 inches long with direct thread adaptor. When mounted, it sits 5-3/4 inches beyond the end of the hand guard. I expect the 3 lug mound (when it arrives) to lower the overall length by perhaps 1/2 inch or so. I don't think it's to short at all. With the included suppressor cover, it's about 7-1/2 inches from the end of the hand guard to the end of the cover. Picture with Optimus only.

IMG_20170702_1647035~2.jpg

Do you have other cans/mounts you could show on or lined up with the gun?

I would love to see an omega9k on the omega sd k. With a Griffin or rugged 3-lug mount? Too short?

And an obsidian45 in K Configuration, for that matter.
Ran 150 flawless rounds on her first outing this morning. Not one hiccup. Shot a variety including sub-sonic, American Eagle 124, and Blazer 115. Here's mine fully dressed, including the suppressor cover.

IMG_20170702_1646208.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Don't have an Octane 9 but do have a Griffin Optimus that I ran with my new SD-k today. The Optimus is 6-3/4 inches long with direct thread adaptor. When mounted, it sits 5-3/4 inches beyond the end of the hand guard. I expect the 3 lug mound (when it arrives) to lower the overall length by perhaps 1/2 inch or so. I don't think it's to short at all. With the included suppressor cover, it's about 7-1/2 inches from the end of the hand guard to the end of the cover. Picture with Optimus only.

View attachment 124609

Ran 150 flawless rounds on her first outing this morning. Not one hiccup. Shot a variety including sub-sonic, American Eagle 124, and Blazer 115. Here's mine fully dressed, including the suppressor cover.

View attachment 124633
Thank you for the photos and dimensions

1 - 20 of 37 Posts