HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I order a 40 cal barrel and just drop it in? I know the mags are the same, if so would it be just as dependable.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yes all you need is a .40 USP compact barrel as it drops right in. Everything else is the same between the two guns.

G

·
Slight hijack here...

I just bought a USPf 40. Can I buy a 9mm barrel and swap the two?

If so, were can I get one?

I know Cal's used to carry them, but I see the site has changed quite a bit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You would have to find a 9mm conversion barrel, which is different than the standard 9mm barrel. You couldn't just drop in a HK 9mm barrel if that's what you were thinking.

You would also likely need to get 9mm mags, and probly change the recoil spring to something lighter as well.

There will still be a mm of slop between the extractor and the case head, but it generally will function just fine for range use. I dont know if I would trust my life to it however.

Keep in mind, most of this knowledge comes from dealing with Sig's, so you may want to double check with someone more experienced when it comes to .40/.357 to 9mm HK conversions.

As mentioned, the .357 and .40 can be swapped with nothing more than a barrel change. 9mm require a little more work, but is still cheaper in most cases than buying a new gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As mentioned, the .357 and .40 can be swapped with nothing more than a barrel change. 9mm require a little more work, but is still cheaper in most cases than buying a new gun.
Just to clarify, if I am not mistaken barrel swaps without any other modifications when going .357 sig to .40 and vice versa can only be done on the USP Compacts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a stock 357 sig USP compact and a Jarvis threaded barrel .40 S&W and change at will. BTW, my wife can swap the barrels in 18 seconds....I'm third best in the family at 26 sec.

'duck

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Looks like it's my job to be devils advocate and inform you that caliber conversions are not authorized by HK. ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
any idea how much an hk p2000sk .40cal barrel costs??? im sure being hk its probably expensive?? and do you know anywhere that would sell it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just to clarify, if I am not mistaken barrel swaps without any other modifications when going .357 sig to .40 and vice versa can only be done on the USP Compacts.
You can sorta do it with the full size USP's, but you're going to have a hard time finding a barrel for it. Some companies used to make them, but they had feeding issues with the .357sig round. Supposedly, if you load up a magazine and whack the bottom of the mag on a table or something it will feed pretty reliably. I dont know that first hand, but that's what I've heard so take it FWIW.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any other places to find a 40 cal barrel cheaper than 197.00? Is midway any good? I'm not looking for a competition barrel, just a simple stock or equivelant.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Midway is not selling after market barrels for the HKs, they ARE HK barrels so yes, they are very good. Surely to goodness you have heard about Midway-USA because they have been around for decades and are very good to buy from. If they are out of stock on something HK though, notice they say "30+ days" on some items. That does not mean 31 days or 45, it means they have no idea. I have had a P2K .357 SIG barrel on order for about a year now. Every three months they cancel the order and I have to re-order it so don't let yourself fall for the 30+ days thinking it might be 35 days. It really means they have no idea on when the HK parts will arrive.

EFK stuff is OK. It is not in the same class as Jarvis and HK barrels though IMO. I have had very good luck with EFK 1911 parts but I have not used their barrels. The only flag on them I have is they use to-and still might-sell .357 SIG barrels for the USP knowing full well the buyer is going to have feeding problems, it just doesn't work no matter how hard you rap the mag. The "fix" is permanent modifications to the barrel and magazine and even then it is not 100%. Even HK gave up on the USP .357 SIG pistol. Jarvis quit making .357 SIG barrels for the USP for this reason; they do not like to sell barrels knowing they are not going to work. That is the only question I have about EFK, why sell something they know will not work 95% of the time?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Big Bore.... HK giving up on the .357 Sig is only for the full size USP right? My USP Compact functions fine in .357.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Big Bore.... HK giving up on the .357 Sig is only for the full size USP right? My USP Compact functions fine in .357.

Thanks
The P2000 and P2000sk .357sig are also being discontinued.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a .357 USP Compact that I bought a .40 cal Jarvis barrel for and absolutly love it! No issues with this conversion at all. Runs like a top and shoots straight as an arrow. Not cheap but worth every penny. You can not go wrong with the Jarvis!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My understanding is slow sales. Why make something nobody (or not enough) are buying? I am not sure if they are just no longer being imported or if manufacturing has stopped but I think it is just no longer imported.

Never has been a full size USP in .357 SIG. HK tried and could not make it work without major mods so they dropped it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well since my first trip to the range today with my usp compact, I love the 357 round, I find it a smoother round than the 40, plus at ammoman.com it's only 20 bucks more per 1000 target rounds and virtually the same for bulk gold dot hollow points, so I think i'll stick with the 357 for now. Now in the future if that round becomes super hard to find and prices justify then i'll get a 40 cal barrel and convert over, but as of now i'm loving the .357....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts