HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a 1x2" piece of steel picatinny rail for a TLR-2 - where to find?

I have been speaking with Jayson about my 53SD build and here is where we are at.

I want to keep the SD rubber hand guard, but I also want to add a TLR-2 onto the gun.

He suggests not putting any type of rail mount on the suppressor, so I came up with the idea of having him weld a piece of picatinny rail onto the bottom of the SD cage, big enough to accommodate the TLR-2. (I would assume a piece that is 1x2" would be big enough?)

I also figured he would have to weld some type of spacer in between the SD cage & the actual rail so there is clearance for the TLR-2 to attach on & off easily. Then I want him to cut out a small 1x2" piece of the bottom of the rubber hand guard out so that it will slip right over the cage & the new rail he will weld in place. Keeping the look & want, and also adding the options I prefer.

Now he said the picatinny rail would have to be made out of steel, and that he could do it, but it would be expensive because of the time involved. (He hasn't given me an exact price yet)

But I was wondering if there was any other company out there that either, already makes something like this, or could fabricate this quicker (and possibly cheaper) for him so he could just weld it on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Try contacting jfk on this as I believe he was offering picatinny rail stock to be welded onto the top of a G3 style receiver that you might be able to adapt to your project.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You may also want to try GG&G Tactical in Tucson, Arizona. They make an "offset" mount for AR's that has an approx 1 1/2" length of picantiny that can be removed from the mount by two hex bolts. I believe the one I have for a K grip rail project is steel, but I will try to confirm. You may be able just to order the rail from them. You also may want to check out Mesa Tactical, they sell alot of pic rails in various lengths for shotguns. I believe they have steel and aluminium also. I am not sure of either of their web addresses, but Google is your friend. Good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I just Pm'd jfk and will try and find the rest of those companies and email them.

What dimension do I need for the smallest piece of rail I could use to attach a TLR-2 to?

Is the width of of normal picatinny rails 1"?

Would 2" in lenght be enough to attach the TLR-2, or could I get away with even less? I do want it to be as secure as possible though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mesa tactical does not offer picatinny rails in steel, they just emailed me back.

Does this item actualy exsist, or am I chasing a rainbow?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Let me check my stuff tonight, I might have an extra rail lying around. I'm not sure on the material type (steel vs. aluminum).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That website states...

"PRi Build Your Own Steel bases allows the shooter to choose any length of base desired. Pri supplies a 9 inch length base for you to machine to the chosen length. The top rail is made and held to Picatinny mil standard 1913."

So does that mean the entire base & picatinny rail is steel? Or just the base?

That's not too bad of a price. I only need 2", I wonder if they can give me a scrap piece perhaps? They are close to me, I will give them a call tomorrow.

If they can't get me a 2" piece, would that 9" piece be hard to cut a nice clean 2" section off of?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Brownells has it but it 'ain't' cheap!
If you have a FFL or a C&R you can get it at dealer discount which is about $15 cheaper.
That right there half pays for the 3 year C&R license by the way!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is C&R?

Do you think I would need the "wide steel" or the "narrow steel" for a TLR-2? (Are they referring to the height or the width?)

Even though it's a decent buck, it's still within reason considering I'm spending almost 5k on this gun. So what's another $75 bucks at this point? :D

I could always resell off the additional stock that I don't need to make a few bucks back.

Thanks guys, everyone has been really helpful over the course of this gun build!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I honestly think if GG&G sells them individually and they are steel, that would be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
You could keep the original hand guard and get one of the Brügger&Thomet tri-rails for when you like the TLR-2 mounted. But at $280 plus shipping :eek: it might not be the cheapest of solutions.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GG&G doesn't sell steel ones either, they emailed me back too.

Seems that a couple of other guys on the board have linked to some steel ones though. I'm going to look into those.

I seen that Tri-rail SD handguard, but I like the original SD rubber guard better.

I think my idea will work now that we have come across steel rails. I guess he would just need to use an additional piece of scrap steel as a spacer to weld onto the cage and then weld the rail onto the spacer.

This way he just has to cut a small piece of the SD rubber hand guard out, and it will look as normal as can be.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
OK I checked the rail I have, it's definitely aluminum. I'm not sure what "narrow and wide" are referring to. The 1913 or Picatinny are standard sizes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts