HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! I picked up this MP5 handguard /flashlight combo from a retired Navy SEAL, and I would really like some help identifying what flashlight was used so that I can purchase the 'head" and get it working again. This is obviously from pre "sure fire" days. The body of the flashlight is aluminum, but the inside is blue plastic. The tail end is marked "Made in USA", so that will help narrowing it down. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
746 Posts
This looks like it was made in-house by one of their armorers. Off the shelf weapons lights are a fairly recent trend. Pre-Afghanistan much of this stuff was done by unit armorers.

An Army SMU had similar foregrips made in-house for their M4s.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This looks like it was made in-house by one of their armorers. Off the shelf weapons lights are a fairly recent trend. Pre-Afghanistan much of this stuff was done by unit armorers.

An Army SMU had similar foregrips made in-house for their M4s.
I realize that, that is why I said it was pre sure-fire. I just need help identyfying what FLASHLIGHT they used in the build.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I see a patent pending stamp on it. Is there a patent number on it? Maybe that will help on google.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I am thinking that the light might very well have been a Streamlight, likely an SL20 model.

I recall they had rubber o rings in the end cap.

Here is a link to what they look like.

SL Series - SL-20L® | Streamlight

There was at one time, late 1980ish, I suppose before and after too, heck, maybe still today, which was or is very similar but just not rechargeable. It was about the best thing going at the time. D cell I believe, to give an idea on diameter.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I think if you can find it in this collection on lights you might be able to find a proper head:

The ABTOMAT Police Flashlight Collection

Your light really looks like a on-off custom job. That rotating tailcap switch definitely is not part of the light. I'd cut off that shrink wrap and see what is going on underneath. You can replace the shrink wrap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all!
This is a very interesting modification. Judging by the parts used it is a late 80s/early 90s modification.
Hope the author hkindiana still has this, which will help to fully ID all the parts, the flashlight as well...hope he will see this post...

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
The light is called a QXL Divers light, a old style light used by army, marine and navy scuba divers they are blue (one you have) or yellow (smaller light) in color I don't think they are still in the TOE system U.S. special forces units used them back in the old days as weapons lights and painted them black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The light is called a QXL Divers light and old light used by army and navy scuba divers they are blue (one you have) or yellow (smaller light) in color I don't think they are still in the TOE system U.S. special forces units used them back in the old days as weapons lights and painted them black.
Correct, used in the late 80s and early 90s. Mostly by Delta, so it's very interesting to see that SEALS used those as weapon lights as well. Wonder if other SF did the same. Force Recon used to put a 4 D-cell Maglite under the handguard of their carbines. I think i have seen operators from the 5th SFG mounting such flashlight on a M16A2 in the 1GW...

Would be great if the owner could provide more pictures and info about the light he has... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
[QUOTE[/QUOTE]

@hkindiana- please clean up your private messages. It's full and i can't send you a PM. Thank you! :)
It says: The following errors occurred with your submission

hkindiana has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mailbox emptied. What other photos would you like? Anyone have a “head” for this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts