HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this gun a year ago. It was used and ceracoted grass camo tan. It had been sitting unwanted for quite some time. The price had been lowered several times. I walked out the door with it for around 300.00. It's an ugly mud duck which is what I was looking for. I wanted an HK I didn't have to regret carrying or inflicting rash on. What I noticed though is the ceracote made the cocking serrations a bit slippery. It took the edge off enough that my hand would not get a reliable purchase while manually cycling the slide. Enter the VP9.

I bought a VP9 just before the SK. At first I wasn't sure what I thought of the charging supports. Seemed like an unnecessary feature. Over time I came to really like them. Though I don't struggle to grip, having the supports kind of made it comfortable. Back to the mud duck.

While handling the duck I was bothered by the slick serrations enough to ruminate about a remedy. The VP9 was sitting on the table in the rear of my field of vision. My eyes focused from the mud duck to the VP9 and the solution occurred to me. Charging supports on the p2000sk. So, after a brief solicitation here of take-off charging supports, I bought a pair from HKParts as part of a larger order.

They are hollow on the inside so I filled them flush with JB Weld and let them cure overnight. Then I applied enough JB Weld to them to adhere without squishing out around the edges. Let them cure and voila!, charging supports on the mud duck. I figure it can't hurt the value of the gun any more than what has already been done to it. Hey, it's the mud duck. Now some pics from my crappy phone camera.

We'll see how long they last. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Interesting, I'd like to see how they work for you. Keep us updated please Sir.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Interesting. I dig it! I see no reason they shouldn't work just like the VP so long as the epoxy holds... which is should.

On an unrelated note, can Cerakote be bead-blasted off?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I dig it! I see no reason they shouldn't work just like the VP so long as the epoxy holds... which is should.

On an unrelated note, can Cerakote be bead-blasted off?
40 years ago my dad told me the key to solving most problems. If man can put it together, man can take it apart and repair it. Ceracote can be removed. Another finish will have to be applied in its place on those parts that are metal. Not sure how the polymer parts would appear after removal but there's a resolution for that too. For me, these charging supports were the path of least resistance. After having them on for a day, I think I'm happy with the result. They won't come off by any other means than grinding/cutting. So I guess I'm stuck with them. lol

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
kinda tigerstripish, me likey!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love my P2000SK but black is so boring. I kinda like the camo. It's a carry gun and a shooter. Doesn't matter what it looks like. And for $300...I'll give you $350 for it.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the pattern, but tan is not my thing at all.
That's the thing. I'm not a fan of camo or designer guns either. I would not have ceracoted it, but I'm glad someone else did because I was able to get my beater on the cheap. Because of that, I'm not worried about out of the box thinking for things like charging supports. I'd have to really screw it up to lose my original investment. Makes a great carry gun. In 357 sig and with my new supports, it really is exactly what I wanted. The rash and wear are just bonus points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from here.

But I like the charging supports on my VP9, so more power to you.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
That's the thing. I'm not a fan of camo or designer guns either. I would not have ceracoted it, but I'm glad someone else did because I was able to get my beater on the cheap. Because of that, I'm not worried about out of the box thinking for things like charging supports. I'd have to really screw it up to lose my original investment. Makes a great carry gun. In 357 sig and with my new supports, it really is exactly what I wanted. The rash and wear are just bonus points.
Interesting add on, looks like they should work for what you put them on for. To others posting, the thread is about charging handles, not the finish. :D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting add on, looks like they should work for what you put them on for. To others posting, the thread is about charging handles, not the finish. :D
Funny how that happens. We dabbled in hot sauce and ceracote when the thread was really about big Obama ears....lolol

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too funny. :)

I like the supports but how do they affect the carrying, if any?
I've been carrying it for two days. There is no difference. Like when I carry my VP9, the supports do not interfere nor do they rub, touch or irritate my body. So far I am satisfied. I won't be throwing this gun at metal targets nor stomping it into the sand so I may miss some torture test opportunities. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
This is awesome on so many levels!!....cheap gun in a great caliber, beautiful finish (only a mother could love), great idea and execution on the supports (I love them on my vp9's), hot sauce AND socks (although I do prefer black). Congrats and cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts