HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to decide between a VP9, Sig P320 and a PPQ.
Already owned 2 HK rifles and an USP Expert, so I went HK.
Out of the box it was gritty had 3 bumps and a hard break.
Everybody said put rounds through it. After 500 rounds my Glock G22 still has a much better trigger.
Sent it back to HK, they "worked" on it. Still crappy. My Sig P365 and my G22 still have much better factory triggers.
I suppose I could send it to Gray or Lazy Wolf. Or just cut bait.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have two VPs and the triggers on them aren't bad.....but they aren't amazing, either. They are definitely better than many other options, though. Then again, no HK I own or have handled would I describe as having an "amazing" trigger without a fair bit of modification. I buy HK for other reasons.

But if you want a really good striker trigger, get a CZ P-10 and drop the HBI Theta trigger in it for $65. Mine is by far the best striker trigger I've ever felt - completely clean takeup to a very crisp wall and an excellent, positive and short reset. It's downright surgical.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine had that gritty feeling too when it was new out of the box. I did a ton of dry firing, cleaning, relube and it helped some but it’s still there. Then I took it to the range and didn’t really notice it too much. The gun shoots great nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That's pretty crappy if a Gen 3 or 4 feels better than a VP9 trigger (assuming your G22 is stock). If you're trigger-sensitive, Walther has the best by far out of the box (or at least they did).

Kinda surprised, but not really that there are some bad VP9 triggers in the mix. I've gauged 18 or 19 now (though none purchased after 2017) and the widest variance from the best to the worst is maybe 6-7oz. The best by far has been the oldest models (red recoil spring).

Its traditional that when a major mfg irons out a design, they often look for cost-cutting/profit-increasing measures. Beretta, Sig, Glock, HK, S&W, CZ all do it no matter what people might think. I wonder if we've reached that point with the VP9 design...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Seven VP9/9L pistols and not one has anything but an excellent take up, break and reset- even when caked with fine dust and run dirty. If you are really having this kind of issue, you must have a real outlier.

I have never shot a stock Glock trigger- and I have shot dozens of different Glocks over the years- that even came close to any of my VP’s stock out of the box.

(I will say, however, that the more you know about running a trigger, the less this stuff really matters.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I polished mine up. Still so bad I think
Something was wrong. Worst striker trigger besides the Vp70z. I sold my gun. You had to concentrate on where you’re finger was located. If it was at the very bottom the pull was decent. If it was higher the trigger would hang up. I found myself rubbing the bottom of the trigger guard to make sure my finger was low enough.

I own many glocks and a few sig 320s. All significantly better than my vp9 trigger. Sell your vp9. Buy a 320 xfive and see how good a striker gun can be. That x5 is easily the best striker trigger.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Maybe I was lucky with my VP9. The trigger out of the box has been smooth. It was a little stiff feeling until about 500 rounds went through. Now it's both smooth and feels free to move.

Year code on mine is BK, so a 2019.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my experience, my VP9 and VP9SK triggers were fairly comparable to my Walther PPQ; which I personally feel is the among the best striker fired triggers I have tried out of the box. Lobos did a neat guide on how to smooth it, if it isn't to your liking. I saw it mentioned further up, but here is the link. Incidentally, he linked back here to HKPro, so I will provide that reference for educational purposes.

Lobos VP9 Trigger Smoothing Guide

HKPro VP9 Trigger Reference

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was trying to decide between a VP9, Sig P320 and a PPQ.
Already owned 2 HK rifles and an USP Expert, so I went HK.
Out of the box it was gritty had 3 bumps and a hard break.
Everybody said put rounds through it. After 500 rounds my Glock G22 still has a much better trigger.
Sent it back to HK, they "worked" on it. Still crappy. My Sig P365 and my G22 still have much better factory triggers.
I suppose I could send it to Gray or Lazy Wolf. Or just cut bait.
May not be popular here but I agree.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I owned a PPQ M1 first and stupidly sold it when I bought a VP9. I find the VP9 trigger setup intolerable - why bother getting it "fixed" to approximate what Walther and others offer straight out of the box? Two friends own VP9s so I have frequent opportunities to remind myself how much I dislike the trigger setup. Is it just the trigger guard groove? I don't know and didn't care to modify the trigger guard or replace the trigger to find out. I've moved on to a boring Glock 19 and have no issues. I'm still googly-eyed over my HK45C, though....LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's weird. I was just dry firing mine last night and thought how nice it is for a striker trigger. I bought it last year but it was NOS in my local LEO supply house that had been there for years. It has the red recoil spring.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
That's weird. I was just dry firing mine last night and thought how nice it is for a striker trigger. I bought it last year but it was NOS in my local LEO supply house that had been there for years. It has the red recoil spring.

That’s because it actually is one of the best striker triggers available. Full stop.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts