HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the hell do you shoot from DA LEM w one in the chamber?!!?

I'm an SA/DA you use the decocker...what do you do for LEM, I'm sure you don't try to manually lower the hammer right?

So how do you carry with one in the chamber w LEM

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
When a round is chambered the hammer spring is in the cocked position, and the hammer is lowered automatically. The hammer stays in the lowered position until the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When a round is chambered the hammer spring is in the cocked position, and the hammer is lowered automatically. The hammer stays in the lowered position until the trigger is pulled.
But when you chamber the round and hammer drops doesn't it convert it to the lighter pull?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The hammer rest in the down position, and the pull starts out light (like a take up) while the hammer moves back and then you get into the "meat" of the trigger to drop the hammer on the round in the chamber.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I think what the OP is asking is how do you shoot the first round with an LEM with one in the pipe AND the heavy (DA-like) inital pull.

Answer is that you don't. When you rack the slide (or manually release) to chamber a round, the LEM is in the "light" pull mode. Because the slide will cycle, chambering a new round, the gun will always be in the "light" pull mode. In order to have the "heavy" pull, the hammer must drop and the gun NOT cycle. You will never have a round in the chamber with the "heavy" pull... just the mechanical nature of LEM.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK YOU

I think what the OP is asking is how do you shoot the first round with an LEM with one in the pipe AND the heavy (DA-like) inital pull.

Answer is that you don't. When you rack the slide (or manually release) to chamber a round, the LEM is in the "light" pull mode. Because the slide will cycle, chambering a new round, the gun will always be in the "light" pull mode. In order to have the "heavy" pull, the hammer must drop and the gun NOT cycle. You will never have a round in the chamber with the "heavy" pull... just the mechanical nature of LEM.
That's what I thought, but no one has been able to confirm...guy at the gun store just said "hmmm that's a damn good question"

I do appreciate you clearifying that.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I see, sorry I misunderstood the question.

On another note, I would not advise trying the thumb hammer down on the loaded chamber in order to get a heavy first pull (not sure if you want to do this or not). Unsafe, and defeats the purpose of the light LEM.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may not be possible w the LEM mechanism, but I'd love to see an LEM decocker w a heavy pull option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much appreciated

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It may not be possible w the LEM mechanism, but I'd love to see an LEM decocker w a heavy pull option.
The question "Why????" comes immediately to mind, but never mind; I probably don't want to know.

If a heavy trigger pull is your desiderata, what you want, then, is an original USP/USPc DAO. You don't need no steenkin' decocker; it always returns to hammer down on its on, and takes two people to pull it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, I'm not a fan of a heavy trigger pull

The question "Why????" comes immediately to mind, but never mind; I probably don't want to know.

If a heavy trigger pull is your desiderata, what you want, then, is an original USP/USPc DAO. You don't need no steenkin' decocker; it always returns to hammer down on its on, and takes two people to pull it.

It's just what I've always felt comfy w for IWC, I love the light LEM pull. I could never feel comfortable w one chambered.

I usually carry a p7, but again I do love the light LEM

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
LEM is easy. When you load the weapon (round in the chamber), the hammer automatically 'decocks'.

When you pull the trigger, you can shoot again either at the reset or after letting the trigger go all the way forward. Only real difference is the length of the trigger stroke.

If you have a FT fire, the slide doesn't cycle and the hammer will be all the way forward. If you choose to pull the trigger again, the pull will be heavier, since the slide hasn't 'precocked' the hammer.

There is no way to safely 'lower' the hammer to this heavier pull and no need to. Besids, the hammer will be resting directly on the firing pin.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Anyone who carries on an empty chamber needs some good firearms instruction, imo.

The safety of LEM is the long inital length of pull, regardless of the trigger pull weight.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
LEM w/ safety or decocker is another idea spawned by people who don't understand LEM and why it was deceloped.

If you want a heavy pull followed by light pulls, get a DA/SA configured pistol.

If you want a manual safety, carry an SA with the safety on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beginning to understand

When I traded my LEM I was still too new to appreciate and understand what I had.

But I agree, I've got to carry chambered bc I'm not fast enough or well trained enough to do otherwise lol

P7 has been a GREAT started solution.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Thinking of LEM as DAO confuses things. It's essentially SA with a long trigger pull and several "safety interlocks" built in.

The pistol will not fire until the trigger is pulled far enough to (1) retract the hammer to a point it has enough momentum to detonate the primer (2) the catch is moved out of the way so the hammer can strike the firing pin, and (3) the firing pin block has been moved out of the way by the trigger bar.

The hammer spring is fully compressed by the cocking piece when the slide cycles. The cocking piece drive the hammer to fire the pistol. The reason the trigger pull can be so light and controllable is the trigger is not cocking the pistol. The same way a Glock or M&P trigger functions -- their strikers are cocked, the trigger ain't cocking them either.

LEM is as safe or safer than a Glock or M&P. No safety or 9-pound first shot needed.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Chuck

Good way to look at it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts