HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this site, but no where near my first time looking at it. I bought for my first pistol a HK USP .45 Variant 1. I won't detail anymore about it becuase it is bone stock new out of the box and everyone here seems to have a good idea about everything HK has to offer.

I was wondering of those of you on who might shoot IDPA might have any tips of suggestions on what kinda holster to run and just some genearl tips on it over all. The reason that I'm asking this is that one of the guy who I work with at the department does some kind of comp. shooting, "but I don't know what it is at the current time", and has tried to get me to go and give it a shot with him. Also a friend of mine,"owner of the gun store that I purchased the HK from", also has mentioned to me to give IDPA a try.

I'm only 21 but in no which way or form new to shooting. I started out shooting my dad's old Colt .45 Gov't model and a/an old Browning Hi-power.

So in short I was just looking for some good tips and some idea as to what equipment I might want to look into purchaseing.

Thanks,
FFCreech

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO - a simple kydex on the waist band (OWB) holster and two single mag holders. (I like the singles over the double mag holders). I use a Blade-teh holster and safariland Mag holders. Remember a quailty belt goes a long way.

Extra mags comes in handy - I normally take 5 with me. Two on belt and one in the gun and 2 in the bag.

Also if you have not drawn your firearm form concealment - practice it with an unloaded firearm. WALK don't Run.

Take the match slow and safe - I believe you will find lot of people willing to help you enjoy the match.

(Eye and Ear protection. baseball cap - I also pack water and some snaks.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a Comp-tac paddle holster and 2 mag pouch for IDPA. Other than that, you'll need, at least, 3 magazines (4 makes it a bit easier), some sort of concealment garment and hearing/sight protection. Max round count per stage is 18. The club I shoot w/will usually get through 5 or 6 stages, so 100 round Winchester white box ought to get you through. If you're new to IDPA, try looking on the IDPA website and it will explain much more and give you an idea of clubs in your area. Some local ranges may have an indoor set-up and a weekly league. My experience has been that IDPA folks are generally a pretty friendly group and more than willing to help newcomers, if you're willing to ask questions. It's really a hoot and will certainly, at a minimum, increase your gun handling skills.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found it useful to put various sticky notes on the wall and practice drawing from concealment (obviously unloaded).

The more your practice quickening your target acquisition, the better off you'll be.

I also recommend practicing reloads (with and without retention).

You will encounter situations that require you to fire on the move as well as from strong and weak hand only.

My club holds practices on weekends when there is no match. May want to see if your club has something similar.

Be safe. Have fun.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Buy a azoom snap cap and practice dry firing as well. Eventually reloading your own ammo will be a must. A dillion 550 B is a exellent progressive reloader that allows the beginner 2 start and stays up to the task no matter what level you reach.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to hone your skills & drill for real life situations I'd suggest using the same holster/gun for IDPA that you plan to carry for self defense, which is a very subjective choice.

One of the great things about IDPA is that the repetative actions during the course of fire will make going for your gun in a real life SD situation much more natural.

Think about it, if you shoot IDPA 15 times a year you may draw your gun "under pressure" 100+ times. You may only draw it once in real life and hopefully the experience will be exactly the same as all of the times you did it in IDPA.

JMHO of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts