HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IGF says yes to a 53SD & RDTS says they can't make one...

I have spoken to Jayson from IGF and he says that he is in fact able to make a 53 into an SD with a real working can.

But RDTS says they aren't able to put a real can on a 53 - they have never been able to get everything right. And said they don't want to modify something that I would have problems with.

So is Jayson just a better smith that he was able to design a can to work with a 53, or is he perhaps just wanting to push the build and not worried about the after effects?

In Jayson's defense, he said I need to shoot ammo without the can before I put it on to make sure the particular ammo I am shooting is not keyholing so I don't get any baffle strikes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thats because RDTS does not build guns that they are not shure will be 100% just like TSC machine only works on factory HK rifles & not clones.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Regardless of internal barrel ports or not, Too much pressure for a suitable suppressor host.

All you will wind up with is a good muzzle blast eliminator. This is the same reason why most suppressor companies don't warranty 556 suppressors on barrels less then 11 inches.

It no longer reduced the sound sufficient enough for general customer satisfaction and drastically reduces the suppressors functional life expectancy. This is a big deal on a custom suppressor that is host specific

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Regardless of internal barrel ports or not, Too much pressure for a suitable suppressor host.

All you will wind up with is a good muzzle blast eliminator. This is the same reason why most suppressor companies don't warranty 556 suppressors on barrels less then 11 inches.

It no longer reduced the sound sufficient enough for general customer satisfaction and drastically reduces the suppressors functional life expectancy. This is a big deal on a custom suppressor that is host specific
Why would too much pressure cause that? I've heard some pretty good suppression on .308s, which I'm sure have higher pressure at the end of a 24" or so long barrel than a .223 at even 11".

Or is it just that too much unburned powder leaves the end of the short barrel on a .223?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I built mine with a 5.5" barrel and a Triple X can. I used a Triple X can after talking with Joe G. @ SWR and telling him my plans , he told me that was the ONLY can to use to do that build . After talking with RDTS and listening about what happens when you port a 5.56 barrel I'm glad I didn't go that way.
I have fired several thousand rounds through it with no ill effects ,actually I don't remember any failures with it at all. It's fun to shoot and seems quieter than my 53 with the Triple X on it- Don't know why it just does.
I don't do any mag dumps with it and limit a burst to 3-6 rds. . Any one seen a Beta dump w/ a can then BOOM ? Lots of unburnt power.
Milk jugs at 60-80 yards no problem , Don't really know what some people expect to use a SBR for in the "real world" but FUN, and it is.

A small video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqeDJ2zCmCE
Good luck.
NoHair

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why would too much pressure cause that? I've heard some pretty good suppression on .308s, which I'm sure have higher pressure at the end of a 24" or so long barrel than a .223 at even 11".

Or is it just that too much unburned powder leaves the end of the short barrel on a .223?
The 223 will be much higher @11" than the [email protected] 24"

MAX Saami chamber pressure of a 308 is 62,000PSI
MAX Saami chamber pressure of a 223 is 55,000PSI

The problem (other than potentially unstable bullets and being not even close to hearing safe ) Is the blast baffle erosion that will occur (even w/ Inconel)

The unburnt powder + hot gas + excessive pressure peens and erodes away the blast baffle. The shorter the barrel the worse it is.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So NoHair, that can you have in the picture is the actual Triple X? Did they have to special make it to fit the specs of the SD?

If I'm not able to do beta dumps, I don't think I am going to focus on adding a suppressor then. (Even though IGF says there wouldn't be any problems)

But is there a shroud out there that pins onto the barrel to make it look exactly like the SD? Or does it actually look different? (I've only seen a couple of 53SD pics and I believe they all had real cans on them)

·
Registered
321 Posts
So NoHair, that can you have in the picture is the actual Triple X? Did they have to special make it to fit the specs of the SD?

If I'm not able to do beta dumps, I don't think I am going to focus on adding a suppressor then. (Even though IGF says there wouldn't be any problems)

But is there a shroud out there that pins onto the barrel to make it look exactly like the SD? Or does it actually look different? (I've only seen a couple of 53SD pics and I believe they all had real cans on them)
Yes that is a box stock Triple X can - they are built like tanks- , It is the 10" , they make a 8" also . FYI it has a .400" hole through it.
I threaded the barrel 1/2 X 28 at 5.5".
I have watched and heard about guys doing a Beta dump and when they let off the trigger - BOOM - the unburnt powder in the can ignites and = not good on cans. not every time but it happens. I'm no expert on it but I don't see how you could avoid it on a short barrel.

The shroud thing I think E&L MFG. makes something.

Hey nohair, what's it shoot like without the can? Looks sort of like a Star Wars gun if you take it off =P

I've never tried it , If I want a fire ball I'll shoot my 51K, 53K or 51KB.

Good luck
NoHair

·
Registered
7 Posts
JAN91 MGN Flemming HK53SD review

I was sorting through some historical stuff (OK, my Labrador puppy started the task for me) and came across this right after I read the thread...

I scanned it as a JPG, but can't post... I'll email it to you if you want to post it. One page... B&W, two pics short and sweet, Dan Shea review.
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts