HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say this as someone who's been behind current market trends since being American and watching SHOT Show YT videos has become increasingly socially taboo since my birth in 1999.

I.E. I know most Civilian-legal HK guns as per import law and my state laws (I'm in Washington currently, considering a move to NM or AZ permanently.)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What is your budget?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All depends on your budget!
Almost nothing given $25 in Birthday money is my net worth. Without estimating the value of my personal property, anyway.

I've been told by SIG fans that the HK price premium for more modern ones (I've been a fan of the P30 since a P30L V3 was my first experience firing a 9mm handgun.) is why they prefer SIG-Sauer overall. As a fan of the P938, MK25, and M11/P228, they have a point.

I might get a bolt action .308 under 6 pounds as per "Scout Rifle" technical specs first and foremost, but the MR556A1 and MR762A1, the weight due to import/export restriction in Germany and the Us forcing HK to have a pro-accuracy heavy barrel among other less consumer-friendly add-ons and missing features (I.E. True glow in the dark night sights due to the substances used in night sights being often radioactive, such as tritium, as far as my understanding of what tritium/German law is.) that make them both heavier than is ideal for a general purpose semi-auto, and bad for H&K internationally with its reputation for being more about its military contracts than its civilian market outside of Germany, and especially overseas, despite Colion Noir's opinion of the MR556 being favorable despite the weight.

Might look into the HK91 as per D5K's post, though. A SBR'd MP5 clone in 9mm (If the 91 is as per my memory a civilian legal limited import version of the MP5 as it stands as a modified G3 receiver on the "HK-slap" friendly design of both the MP5 and the G3 and its semi-auto equivalents for civilian use.)

The HK53 has been on my radar since reading about its use by Alaska's SWAT equivalent, however.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Given the financial statement above....you are not getting into a clone let alone an actual HK rifle. And this is looking like a possible troll thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Given the financial statement above....you are not getting into a clone let alone an actual HK rifle. And this is looking like a possible troll thread.
I assure you I wouldn't troll on a forum for a topic I am passionate about. It frankly is rude and insulting that you'd even imply such a thing about me.

And I never said it'd even be this year that I first buy a gun in, did I? It doesn't have to be a nigh immediate purchase to be something I've been researching since age 13; when my first account here was most likely deleted without me being duly informed at the time on whether it was or, if so, why.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
lol he's a kid man. yeah hk91 is just a civilian g3. you could go CETME if youre really scrounging or PTR91, but i've seen nice hk91s in the 2k range.... like everyone else said... it's just a question of money. pre ban rifles are always a nice investment though and will be exempt from whatever happens in the future.

I live in NM now, but will probably move to WA soon.. only hk gun i own is sp5k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol he's a kid man. yeah hk91 is just a civilian g3. you could go CETME if youre really scrounging or PTR91, but i've seen nice hk91s in the 2k range.... like everyone else said... it's just a question of money. pre ban rifles are always a nice investment though and will be exempt from whatever happens in the future.

I live in NM now, but will probably move to WA soon.. only hk gun i own is sp5k.
I was made aware of Zenith's MP5k style delayed blowback pistols recently, so perhaps something in that price range for clones is a good start for me.

Thanks for the helpful and relevant post.

EDIT: I've lived a bit south of Albuquerque most of my life before moving across the Sound from Seattle/Tacoma's most well known Airport. Go Isotopes! :)

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
it just depends on what you wanna do, do you wanna shoot? or do you want an investment? if youre looking at zenith mp5k i'd highly suggest just saving up for sp5k... it's really a much better deal. Yeah you don't get the paddle mag or the 3 lug. sp5k comes with a lifetime warranty though and isn't really as gimped as zeniths and stuff despite lacking paddle mag and 3 lug. You might want to wait though, there could be all sorts of surprises coming up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it just depends on what you wanna do, do you wanna shoot? or do you want an investment? if you're looking at zenith mp5k i'd highly suggest just saving up for sp5k... it's really a much better deal. Yeah you don't get the paddle mag or the 3 lug. sp5k comes with a lifetime warranty though and isn't really as gimped as zeniths and stuff despite lacking paddle mag and 3 lug. You might want to wait though, there could be all sorts of surprises coming up.
Given certain life events, I'm more into firearms as SD/Home defense means and tools with which to hone marksmanship as a discipline than, say, hunting. (I'm too squeamish about death and gore for that, my moral obligations to hunting for anything but the potential food intake or taxidermy-related endeavors aside.) So any HK I do buy, new, used, or whatever other condition you can think of, will be in calibers I like for their ballistic qualities for accuracy and relative comfort with the right factor weapon and aftermarket accessories, i.e. 9mm-.45 ACP in pistols or pistol caliber carbines, .22 all the way up to .308 or 30-06 in semi-auto or bolt rifles.

And you make a good point about the Zeniths, but the Sp5K seems a little too undermined in the looks and feature departments by German export and American import restrictions for my tastes in the actual MP5K and MP5K-PDW variants aesthetically and practically, feature wise.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You mentioned an HK53. That would be my vote. I have a Vector and Century HK53s clone, it is my absolute favorite HK platform. The vector is a much better, nicer and more reliable rifle. You can typically pick up a Vector for $1000-1500 bucks, the Century's are $600-800. Both CAN have issues, but most issues can be fixed on your own with some research.

If you want a really nice range rifle that you can sit at a bench and shoot 100+ yards then look at a HK91 or clone, or if you are really saving up then get an MR556 or MR762

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mentioned an HK53. That would be my vote. I have a Vector and Century HK53s clone, it is my absolute favorite HK platform. The vector is a much better, nicer and more reliable rifle. You can typically pick up a Vector for $1000-1500 bucks, the Century's are $600-800. Both CAN have issues, but most issues can be fixed on your own with some research.

If you want a really nice range rifle that you can sit at a bench and shoot 100+ yards then look at a HK91 or clone, or if you are really saving up then get an MR556 or MR762
I do intend to save up short-to-long term, but the fact all of my disposable income currently is that 25 USD of mine (Two years looking for work in a Right to Work state is nothing without unpaid internships, my diploma, or a degree that's at least an Associate's or Bachelors in the US' current job market, sadly.) makes it difficult for now. I might be able to swing employment at a local branch of the Pawn One brand of stores in my part of the world and the US, but it's tricky given this location's gun counter is both run by much older people than me, and the fact that, again, being pro-gun and a five year gun community member at age 18 after certain events post 1999 in the Us gets you a LOT of weird looks, if not outright objective disgust, from most people in a state as domestically liberal and anti gun as WA tends to be post I-594.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hmmmm.....not seeing anything to change my initial assessment. Have fun

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmmm.....not seeing anything to change my initial assessment. Have fun
I am trying to with what little fun guns can be on a bad day in history, at times, for RKBA being an increasingly feeble right to defend from a legal perspective, the 2nd Amendment aside, on all levels in the USG's various jurisdictions, so thank you for the bid of enjoyment of my as of late legal hobby. :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Buy a few mags for the rifle you want, and ammo, etc. Start there, then save up for the rifle. I did that with my first purchsed rifle when I was about your age. It was a nice Romy G AKM with beautiful red wood furniture. Worked at Dollar General at the time. Once I'm set on buying a new firearm, I always start with ammo and mags first. Sort of a tradition. I like to have parts for my guns too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buy a few mags for the rifle you want, and ammo, etc. Start there, then save up for the rifle. I did that with my first purchsed rifle when I was about your age. It was a nice Romy G AKM with beautiful red wood furniture. Worked at Dollar General at the time. Once I'm set on buying a new firearm, I always start with ammo and mags first. Sort of a tradition. I like to have parts for my guns too.
Considering semi-auto RPK clones are on my radar, I might take this advice in earnest sincerity. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts