HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a new forum member here and I wanted to write a post to get some opinions.

I'm leaving 1911s behind and selling 2 off that I have now (Sig 1911, Remington Carry Commander). I just can't keep them knowing they might do something "bad" when I need to count on them. I've also got a Glock 30SF with XS night sights that shoots like a dream and I can get *very* tight groups at 10 yards with it unsupported. I've got 13 round G21 mags for it with Xgrips on it that give me 13+1 for it when I feel like it. I've shot the M&P 45 but it felt like it was cheaply made, trigger was meh.. and had seams all over it. Just not for me.

This new.45 ACP H&K would be a range gun and nightstand gun, maybe a carry gun, but it's not a necessary factor.

I did shoot a compact USP .40 and a .45 about 15 years ago, and I remember liking them very much at the time.
I've gotten my hands on the HK45 and the HK45c and they both felt good. I also gripped a USP 45 at a recent gun show this weekend. I like the grip feel of them all.

But the truth is, I'm not sure about the total "shootability" of the H&K .45 platforms (Full size USP, HK45 and their compact models).

I've got XL sized hands. I'm fine with DA/SA triggers (I've got a Beretta 92 Brigadier that I shoot all the time). So I recently bought a P7 that's my very first H&K and it shoots like a laser, fed everything I put into it, and feels great in the hand. No other single stack 9mm has felt like this does to me....
So that's why the mindset change in feel/reliability in my entire stable of pistols, starting with my 1911s. Just going all out H&K for my replacement .45s.

If you were a gun shop owner, which one would you steer me towards if the feel in the hands to me was all around good?
Or, which H&K full size and compact combo .45s would be a great combination to replace my 2 1911s?

Thanks for any input,

best to all.

·
Registered
838 Posts
USP Tactical 45 for the full-size. It sounds like a stretch, but somehow it always strikes me as being the 45 John Browning would have designed in the 90s, almost like a spiritual successor to the 1911.

For compacts, both the HK45c and USPc are good in my opinion.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you buy into the Vickers and Hackathorn story about the genesis of the HK45, HK supposedly considered doing a 1911, but several other companies were out or announcing 1911s at about that time. HK did not proceed and changed course. The HK45 is not necessarily a direct result of that change of direction, but some link that change in direction indirectly to the HK45 and HK45c programs. The HK45, to some people's minds, represents the 1911 for the 21st Century. Updated design and engineering, a few more rounds, same control layout but ambi, way more reliable and less needful of pampering. It has a large backstrap in addition to the standard, medium one. I don't hesitate to recommend giving it a fondling and a shoot if you can.
But, of course, USPs cannot be ignored, either.

·
Priest of the P7
4,807 Posts
The HK45 is the 1911 for the 21st century. Ergonomically, it is leaps and bounds above the USP series. It feels like it belongs in your hand. Same controls as your 1911s in the DA/SA variant with the addition of a decocking function.

Edit: above post beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a new forum member here and I wanted to write a post to get some opinions.

I'm leaving 1911s behind and selling 2 off that I have now (Sig 1911, Remington Carry Commander). I just can't keep them knowing they might do something "bad" when I need to count on them.
So, have they been unreliable or you worried they might do something "bad" on theoretical grounds? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
If you buy into the Vickers and Hackathorn story about the genesis of the HK45, HK supposedly considered doing a 1911, but several other companies were out or announcing 1911s at about that time. HK did not proceed and changed course. The HK45 is not necessarily a direct result of that change of direction, but some link that change in direction indirectly to the HK45 and HK45c programs. The HK45, to some people's minds, represents the 1911 for the 21st Century. Updated design and engineering, a few more rounds, same control layout but ambi, way more reliable and less needful of pampering. It has a large backstrap in addition to the standard, medium one. I don't hesitate to recommend giving it a fondling and a shoot if you can.
But, of course, USPs cannot be ignored, either.
I had not heard this tidbit; I will check the HK45 next time I see one....

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
You're going to get a lot of love for the USP iterations in your replies. And it's justified. It's a great platform. But I think a lot of the love for it comes from longtime HK'ers who fell in love with it early and have no desire to change. And I'm not saying they're wrong.

But for someone new to HK I would say take a look at the 45c. I have both the full size and 45c and the compact gets the overwhelming majority of my range time. It just feels better in my hand from both a grip and balance perspective. It's also versatile enough to be great for the three criteria you mentioned. The range (see above). Nightstand gun. It has a Picatinny rail for mounting a light and with an elephant foot mag you get the same 10+1 capacity of the full size. With the 8 round mag it carries and conceals great. One other thing, and it's very subjective. Whenever I think about which of my guns I would want to have with me if I really got in trouble. The answer always comes back HK 45c.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I agree with Tony. Either UPS full size or Mark 23. If you have large mitts, the USP line feels great in your hands. Either way you can not go wrong with any HK .45 caliber. As someone already stated, they are the 1911s of the 21st Century: reliable and rock solid platforms. If you can not decide between two, buy them both, you won't have any regrets.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
P9s in 45! Or UMP.

USP Tactical is great, but if you have large hands go all the way, Mark 23!

If you like non-black, there are some killer deals on USP compact 45 in stainless, and the color matched slide/frame HK45 and HK45 Compact.

Shockwave

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am sorry but getting out of 1911's just does not compute. Are you getting out of revolvers also? I am pretty sure that some of the 'must haves' for men is a 1911 of some flavor and at least a .357 Magnum. I like HK as much as most guys here but I ain't giving up my Wilson Combat. Maybe you need a better one. But the HK I have in 45 is the USP45 Tactical. Sorry for the lousy picture.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
As for HK the HK45 in Lite LEM has my vote or any of the variants really...as for getting out of the 1911 game in general, if I were to have only 1 1911 it would be the SA Pro & that's it. I had 2 at one point but down to only one which I intend on keeping this time around.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts