HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do my first sight install myself this week. Going to throw a pair of Trijicons on one of my HK45c's, I have brass punchs, I have endless tools at my hand thanks to my dad's garage, and I have a vise to set my slide in. I'm going to go the hammer and brass punch route. Any advice? Is there any kind of grease or lube I should use? I heard some people use loctite under their sights... should I do this?

I can't take a video but I will take before and after pictures for any newbies that have been scared of doing this by themselves... If I succeed at doing this then any rookie can do it.

Thanks for reading and all the advice.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The front sight will go on fine without any modification. The rear sight, you'll have to take off a small amount on the front of the middle part of the sight (looking down the barrel). I used a small hobby file and took off a little at a time, dry fitted, until it fitted tight and center. You'll need a blue pen to cover the exposed metal and spread gun oil on the bottom + sides of the sight, around the dove tail. Take your time. Don't rush.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The front sight will go on fine without any modification. The rear sight, you'll have to take off a small amount on the front of the middle part of the sight (looking down the barrel). I used a small hobby file and took off a little at a time, dry fitted, until it fitted tight and center. You'll need a blue pen to cover the exposed metal and spread gun oil on the bottom + sides of the sight, around the dove tail. Take your time. Don't rush.
Good advice right there. Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean literally a blue pen? Like a blue ink pen?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh... Geez, now I know why Adam said to just let a gunsmith do it. Just when I think I have everything I need, I find out I need a small file and a blueing pen. Are the Trijicons the only sights that need filed to fit? What if I file off to much and how do I now when I filed enough? Like how can I tell the difference between not filing enough of the sight or not hitting hard enough with the hammer

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
When the rear sight is centered, there should be a tiny gap on both sides of the rear sight (shown below in Red). Also, make sure the rear sight is not crooked. Due to the design of the middle part of the rear sight, it's easy to get it on the slide a little crooked. If you compare the original rear sight with the Trijicon, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Oh... Geez, now I know why Adam said to just let a gunsmith do it. Just when I think I have everything I need, I find out I need a small file and a blueing pen. Are the Trijicons the only sights that need filed to fit? What if I file off to much and how do I now when I filed enough? Like how can I tell the difference between not filing enough of the sight or not hitting hard enough with the hammer
It was my first attempt to put the Trijicon sights on my HK45C and I didn't have any instructions (other than an HK sight pusher), but it came out good. It is not that hard. You can do it. You can get a set of hobby files from Home Depot or Lowe's. If not, use a piece of sand paper (1000 grit). The key here is patience, patience, and patience. Just take off a little at a time, dry fit, and repeat until you see it is centered, and the groove in the center of the rear sight lines up with the groove on the slide (see my pic above).

The Meprolight sights are much easier to install. The Mep rear will go on without any modifications but the front requires a little filing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
IMO, let a gunsmith do it. If you mess something up then you are responsible. If a gunsmith messes it up then it is on him. Warranty on work is what I like. I had a gunsmith mount some sights on my Hk USP45CT and USP45F and he did an oustanding job and it only cost me $20.00 each. He did have to fit the rears though. When I had Heinie sights installed on my Hk45CT I had Heinie do it. Cost some $$ but it was very clean, perfect fit.
I am not saying you would screw it up. I'm sure you could do a great job, all I'm saying is put the responsiblity on someone else. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
I would use nylon tipped/coated punches or small wooden dowels, that would negate the extra cost of cold blue pens/applicators

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO, let a gunsmith do it. If you mess something up then you are responsible. If a gunsmith messes it up then it is on him. Warranty on work is what I like. I had a gunsmith mount some sights on my Hk USP45CT and USP45F and he did an oustanding job and it only cost me $20.00 each. He did have to fit the rears though. When I had Heinie sights installed on my Hk45CT I had Heinie do it. Cost some $$ but it was very clean, perfect fit.
I am not saying you would screw it up. I'm sure you could do a great job, all I'm saying is put the responsiblity on someone else. Just my $.02.
Well after 140$ + shipping for Trijicon sights, then a 10$ pen + shipping, then a file I have just now made this 200$ adventure. I might as well just send my slide to Trijicon or Heinie. I would let my gunsmith do it, he put Mep's on my P2k but I don't know if he knows much about these newer HK's... they don't have much HK's at their shop and what they do have is used with standard sights. Now I'm thouroughly discouraged about doing this on my own. :8:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't get discouraged. It's not that bad of a job, just take your time and pay attention.Ii've installed sights on hk, m&p, glock and kahrs all with brass or aluminium punches. It's not as scary as it sounds. On my p30 I had to file a bit but it wasn't much. You make 2-3 strokes with the file and then dry fit it and see how far it will go in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well after 140$ + shipping for Trijicon sights, then a 10$ pen + shipping, then a file I have just now made this 200$ adventure. I might as well just send my slide to Trijicon or Heinie. I would let my gunsmith do it, he put Mep's on my P2k but I don't know if he knows much about these newer HK's... they don't have much HK's at their shop and what they do have is used with standard sights. Now I'm thouroughly discouraged about doing this on my own. :8:
Don't be. Sights are just another of those things that one must become used to. Kinda like an LEM install, or a light connector on a Glock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts