HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recently saw the new HK offering.........sp5k

Where will SP89 prices eventually settle on ?

Curious if I should dump my NIB one now, or too late :00000:

Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang

Registered
I can't imagine why. The SP5K appears to me to be a far superior offering to the 30 year old guns.

Optics rail

AMBI trigger group

Magazines

Warranty

Priest of the P7
All I can say is, as a buyer, I'd never spend a penny more for an 89 than I could get a 5K for. Of course, buyers have different motivations. I would guess, though, that given enough time of importing SP5Ks that the SP89 prices will hover right around what the newer offering is selling for. Queen Hildebeast may see to that variable, though.

Registered
Oh I'm sure at some point we're going to get into "the SP89 came before the SP5K and is therefore BETTER" debates as the owners of SP89s try to justify the $6,000+ price tags of two years ago.

Original! Classic! The First! ...and so on...

Just you watch. :wink:

Registered
I believe (as an owner of 2 'classic' SP89's) that they will settle in around the going rate for the SP5k in comparable condition. There may be some 'collector value' to an original, unfired SP-89 with box/foam/literature to a very small segment of the H&K world, but I cannot see why someone would pay more for a used item that is effectively the same as a new model with more/better accessories.

the $6k (and more) pricing that has been seen in the past was clearly driven by the fixed market of available SP-89's. When quality clones became much more available in the past several years, that put some pressure on the SP-89, but people still justified it as a 'real' H&K. Now that there is a real H&K available at the $2k~$2.5k price point, I just can't see anyone paying panic pricing.

Registered
My only real thought would be the sp89 being more valuable in states where it might be considered a preban where one could have more "evil" features.

The other thought would be a pre-1990 model that didn't fall under 922r for someone who wants to use only german parts.

Edit: Now the real question is if it will change the price of hk94 models.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are these new units made in Germany ? Limited numbers or sky's the limit ? Lol.

I'm in a banned state so we could not own anyway.......looks like HK got smart and saw the demand......what is to stop them from rolling out 91's, 93's, 94's, etc....?

Registered
Are these new units made in Germany ? Limited numbers or sky's the limit ? Lol.

I'm in a banned state so we could not own anyway.......looks like HK got smart and saw the demand......what is to stop them from rolling out 91's, 93's, 94's, etc....?
1. Yes, Oberndorf
2. German law restricting exportation 'weapons of war'. Unless they took the extra effort to pistol-ize any of the aforementioned models. Which they won't for obvious reasons. Unfortunately.

Premium Member
I thought 922r only applied to rifles?

Registered
I don't know how SP89 values will be affected in the long run, but I did note how many have shown up for sale since the SP5k became available. I suspect some put theirs up for sale in anticipation of a market saturation value drop.

Premium Member
The question is, if the SP5K suddenly stopped being made/imported, which would be more valuable: the SP89 or the SP5K? I'm thinking the latter...

Registered
I predict they will, the law of economics says scarcity will increase prices and that availability of like substitutes will lower pricing.
The SP5K to many who would otherwise have desired to buy an SP89 can now buy a almost identical substitute for $2.XK versus the $4-6K being asked before the July release. The SP89 sellers and the very capable clone Mfg.'s will have to adjust pricing if they want to move the same volume of units.

HK Ag

Registered
The question is, if the SP5K suddenly stopped being made/imported, which would be more valuable: the SP89 or the SP5K? I'm thinking the latter...
That's an interesting way to look at it. I agree.

I'm totally convinced there are more than a handful of people neckbearding more than a couple of these and betting on that exact circumstance.

The time to sell an NIB SP89 at it's peak value has passed.

Registered
Buy an SP89 now for cheap if you don't have one already, and an SP5K - When Hilary is president the prices will skyrocket and they'll be worth their weight in gold. Buy now before the impending frenzy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts